Sexist and racist elements?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Oscar

Sexist and racist elements?

Post by Oscar »

No doubt there are instances of sexism, racism and classism in Blyton's works, but we still love her. But when you re-read the books now as an adult (I assume many people here do), the eye of a critic and the love for a childhood fav author intermingles. Are you put-off by such instances in the books? Or do you enjoy them as you used to?
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Sexist and racist elements?

Post by Poppy »

No doubt there are instances of sexism, racism and classism in Blyton's works...
Not necessarily, Oscar. These are just examples of how Enid represents her era. Obviously her books are still highly popular today and I don't see why Enid should be critised for things which obviously doesn't bother her readers of today's generation. She has accomplished her goal: To bring delight to children, and there can't be much wrong with her books if they are still being published and read as avidly as ever today. As I've expressed many a time, how on earth should Enid know know these aspects would one day be looked upon as offensive?
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Very well expressed Poppy. You have summed up the thoughts and opinions of many of us. We aren't put off by her writings now, because we understand they were written in a different time. What many of us do find highly irritating is to read of her books being heavily criticised because of what is now interpreted a bit differently from how it was back than. I'm glad to hear you still enjoy her books Oscar.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Very well said Poppy & Daisy

Jack
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Poppy wrote: To bring delight to children, and there can't be much wrong with her books if they are still being published and read as avidly as ever today.
To be fair, the language of her books has had to be brought into the 21st century for the name to continue being published.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Deej wrote:To be fair, the language of her books has had to be brought into the 21st century for the name to continue being published.
     I would, at the least, consider it contentious to assert that it is only because of this that the books are still popular. It could be that "in spite of that" would be a better way of phrasing it.
     We give children less credit for intelligence and sheer common sense than they deserve if we assume that they need this to understand, or get enjoyment from, the books. I would consider it more accurate to say that the changes are the result of politically-correct ideologues having their way with the text, and the publishers feeling they must conform to the requirements of those ideologues in order to continue sales.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

MJE wrote: I would consider it more accurate to say that the changes are the result of politically-correct ideologues having their way with the text, and the publishers feeling they must conform to the requirements of those ideologues in order to continue sales.
Exactly Michael. The books would sell anyway. Some of the terms in them were already out of vogue when I first read them but that only added to the appeal for me. The only change necesary in Blyton's books is the removal of the word Nigger which has outlived it's time. Other than that all the name changes, currency changes, removal of golliwogs etc is just publishers acting as Nanny!
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too enjoyed the slightly old-fashioned flavour of the books as a youngster, John. I felt I was stepping into a different world, and it was all part of the experience. Everything could be understood from the context, so I was never mystified for long by an unfamiliar word, phrase or reference. It's a shame that today's children are being denied the chance to learn about an earlier period of history. There is very little in Enid Blyton books that is truly offensive - many of the alterations have been made in order to make the stories appear more modern.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Responding to Oscar's original question, yes I still love the books just as much as I did when I first read them. Whenever possible, I read books which haven't been modernised in any way. Only occasionally do I come across something that makes me think that maybe the words should be altered.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

MJE wrote:      I would, at the least, consider it contentious to assert that it is only because of this that the books are still popular. It could be that "in spite of that" would be a better way of phrasing it.
     We give children less credit for intelligence and sheer common sense than they deserve if we assume that they need this to understand, or get enjoyment from, the books. I would consider it more accurate to say that the changes are the result of politically-correct ideologues having their way with the text, and the publishers feeling they must conform to the requirements of those ideologues in order to continue sales.
My point was that the modernisation of certain aspects of the language deemed either old fashioned, racist or sexist has kept the books on the shelves. No publisher would want to associate themselves with a book that is heavily criticised for being out-of-date regardless of whether it's true or not or completely missing the point. It would be fantastic if Blyton's book hadn't changed but I think that would be appealing to huge fans like us rather than the general population. I'm of the opinion that the book wouldn't sell as well if they were treated in the same 'historic' manner that other books are. I believe the changes to Blyton's books are an inevitable and necessary evil to keep with the times.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

To me, there are two Enid Blyton's currently in existence...The true books produced by Enid in her lifetime ..and the modernised,sanitised,soulless retail codswallop masquerading as her work... :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Don't hold back Pete, tell us how you really feel about updating the books!!!

Thankfully although I don't have 1st editions, many of the books I have are hardbacks from the 1950s. Any modern' copies of Enid's books I own are from the 1960s - 1980s, so thankfully, mostly unchanged. I have a few SS and FF which have the currency changed and say Queen instead of King, but still plenty of 'queers' and 'gays' etc.

I did once read a SS book with my children, where we each had a copy of the same book, mine from the 1970s, theirs much newer versions. We'd take turns in reading a page each, and I was quite surprised at how many little cuts and 'tweaks' there were. It would make an interesting exercise to compare various versions of the books, but I'd have to be in a very calm mood before I attempted it!
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Deej wrote:
Poppy wrote: To bring delight to children, and there can't be much wrong with her books if they are still being published and read as avidly as ever today.
To be fair, the language of her books has had to be brought into the 21st century...
And it is the language that critics are complaining about. By the sentence you quoted I was saying if the language of Enid's books was really that bad, they wouldn't be being published today.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I'm a bit torn about the racism too. I don't want to pretend it never happened and I think seeing casual racism in old things is a really good way to demonstrate issues (it can be difficult to imagine if you don't see just what it used to be like) On the other hand, I think some of it is really uncomfortable to read, even for me as an adult (reading The Island of Adventure and having Jo-Jo being refered to as black every single time he appears is probably quite mild but it was just ... oh God, YES, HE'S BLACK, STOP, STOP, B****Y STOP!) and children might not pick up on some of that in constructive ways.

And I do want actual racial slurs removed I think - in Enid Blyton's books, they are casual, they're not to make a point (unlike in Huckleberry Finn), it's just okay that someone would use that word and that just ... not something I think kids should have to come across.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

School bans Enid Blyton to win race award

Obviously some schools still regard Enid's 'cleaned-up' books as racist. The commentator on the BBC Breakfast program refused to read the exert from the Sun with the implication that it was so racist that it was not fit to broadcast!

I have to travel soon but I will return to the topic this evening.
Society Member