Surnames in Blyton

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Katharine

Re: Surnames in Blyton

Post by Katharine »

I worked for a Mr. Lillicrap once.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

If you enter Kirrin on the Ancestry site it comes up with lots of matches - unfortunately I am not registered so cannot see any details!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Some very unfortunate names in there. I like it when people who purposely mispronounce their surname to make it sounds better. Bucket at Bouquet and Sidebottom as Siddybohtohm for example.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nicko wrote:I think it's fair to say that EB was capable of coming up with some utterly bizarre surnames for her characters. Smugs, Cockles and Smellie to name but a few.
Funnily enough, although it sounds wonderfully Blytonian with its suggestions of smugglers, "Smugs" wasn't Enid Blyton's invention. She tells us in The Story of My Life that the man who inspired the character of Bill Smugs had come up with the name himself as a boy. Enid Blyton met him while on holiday in Swanage and he said he wanted to be in one of her books. She asked whether he'd had any adventures and he said: "No. But I'd like them. I'd like to have been in the Secret Service, or something like that. Couldn't you possibly put me into a book and make me a Secret Service man? I really could have adventures then... Put me in as I am, with no hair on top, and anything else you like. And call me - let me see - yes - call me Bill Smugs, will you? That is what I used to call myself as a boy."

Enid writes: "Well, when I wrote the first Adventure book, The Island of Adventure, lo and behold, up popped Bill Smugs into the story. I was rather astonished. There he was, bald head and all - and in the Secret Service too! He turned out to be perfectly splendid, and I couldn't possibly have done without him in the other books."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

There was a brilliant Australian swimmer in the 1950s called Lorraine Crapp, and I can't help feeling sorry for her. Despite all her achievements, what's the first thing most people would focus on when reading that name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Crapp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The variations on a name are interesting too. Julie's surname is Heginbotham (as we all know). This is pronounced Heggin - botham (as the cricketer). I have also know people with the name Higginbottom (pronounced as spelt) and Higgingbottom. More on the name here.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, Stephen (Hubby) did plenty of research on his family history, as they were wealthy land owners. Apparently they owned a place called Chadkirk Hall in Romily, Cheshire. Long since gone now. I've always wanted to be a 'lady of the manor'!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Loads of bottoms round where I live. Higginbottom, Shufflebottom, Ramsbottom, Sidebottom ...

There's even a town called Ramsbottom. And Ramsbottom Cricket Club plays at Acre Bottom. Bottoms everywhere. You stop noticing after a while - it was only when it was pointed out to me that I realised people could think there was anything odd about a town called Ramsbottom.

(In case anyone's wondering, the ram is an old local name for a flower, and bottom just means the bottom of the valley. Ramsbottom means flowers in the valley. So stop sniggering at the back. :evil: )
DSR
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

There was a boy in my class whose last name was Ramsbottom. Luckily he was good looking so the girls only sniggered in private.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Morgan Jones
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by Morgan Jones »

Stephen wrote:There was a brilliant Australian swimmer in the 1950s called Lorraine Crapp, and I can't help feeling sorry for her. Despite all her achievements, what's the first thing most people would focus on when reading that name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Crapp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not to mention the German skier, Fanny Chmelar. :oops:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I can remember a former Nottingham Forest goalkeeper named Lee Smelt... Pooh! He wasn't very popular with his teammates! :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

shadow wrote:There was a boy in my class whose last name was Ramsbottom.
I trust his Christian name wasn't Dick..... :shock:
Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Nigel! :D

Linton is a surname in Wuthering Heights, and there is a journalist with the last name Smellie .. I must say I think I'd change it if that were the case.

The funeral director who did my dad's funeral was called Mr Jolly..
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I had an uncle, Mr Gay.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hope his surname has been change to Mr. Happy now. :wink:
Society Member