What was the first Blyton book you read?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: What was the first Blyton book you read?

Post by Rob Houghton »

I definitely know my second Famous Five book - it was Five Go To Mystery Moor -- annual version! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
PaulB123
Favourite book/series: Five Finder Outers & Famous Five
Favourite character: Fatty & Dick

Post by PaulB123 »

Mine would have been one of the Secret Seven books, I can't remember which one but I have strange feeling it was Good Work SS as the idea of Guy disguise sticks in my mind as such a a clever plan.

Famous Five would have been Mystery Moor as I remember my Dad buying it for me as he knew I had enjoyed the SS books and this was a "step up" in reading stakes as the FF were older children.

I came last to the FFO, which are still my favourite series of books, think it was they were so different to the FF and I always wanted to be Fatty with all his amazing abilities :P
Duncan:
There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
Hawkeye:
Well, we kinda face to the north and, real sudden-like, turn left.

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

My first was Five Go To Demon's Rocks, in the 70's. A second hand hard-back. Someone had coloured in a couple of the illustrations.

I loved the story but the book itself seemed antique. I was relieved to later replace it with a paper-back copy with a cover photo from the TV series. It felt more 'canonical' to me.

I'm now shocked to see it wasn't published until 1961 (well, so Wikipedia claims) and I have genuinely antiquarian books. Plus I mostly collect pre-decimal Blytons...
"The days are long, but the years are short"
kirrin_castle
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Adventure Series / Famous Five
Favourite character: George,Tim,Jack Trent,Barney,Snubby & Loony

Post by kirrin_castle »

I had The Folk Of The Faraway Tree, Five On A Treasure Island, Five Have A Wonderful Time, Five Go To Mystery Moor, The Castle Of Adventure and The Mountain Of Adventure handed down to me from my brother. I can't remember if I read The Folk Of The Faraway Tree first or not, I guess so, but I know it was Five On A Treasure Island that started my life long love of her books. I then got the rest of the FF series & Adventure Series (or rather my parents did) and loved them all as a child. I'm sure Castle was my first Adventure Series book I read, and I'm sure this is why it remains as my favourite of the series
Jonathan

Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do'.
Island Of Adventure
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

The first I read was Five on a Treasure Island. The first I had read *to* me was the Noddy one where the cat's tail gets caught in his car and somebody ends up wearing it as a fur collar. I think. I may be mixing Noddy stories up of course...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That was Noddy and His Car, funnily enough — I've just recently read it myself. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Whoops. My earlier post about Demons Rocks was wrong; I'd not thought far enough back. I was forgetting about Messrs Twiddle and Pinkwhistle. Not to mention Pip the pixie. Mr Pinkwhistle being my favourite, at the time.

I shouldn't post in an evening when my brain is on stand-by.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Gary Russell wrote:The first I read was Five on a Treasure Island. The first I had read *to* me was the Noddy one where the cat's tail gets caught in his car and somebody ends up wearing it as a fur collar. I think. I may be mixing Noddy stories up of course...
Courtenay wrote:That was Noddy and His Car, funnily enough — I've just recently read it myself. :D
Thank you so much! I KNEW I'd read more Noddy than I previously thought, and this was the one!