The Secret Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Kirrin

The Secret Series

Post by Kirrin »

Who thinks this series is brilliant and largely under rated?

I think it's great!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

The Secret Series

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, it does tend to be underrated even though none of the five titles are poor (in my opinion). In fact, The Secret Mountain and The Secret Island would both be among my top 20 Blytons.

The Secret Mountain is a truly thrilling adventure with real danger, an exotic location and memorable pieces of descriptive writing, eg the descriptions of the sunrise and the clouds from the aeroplane. I love the idea of the Mountain Folk living in the dark tunnels and chambers, and I very much like Mafumu. A gripping book for anyone of any age.

The Secret Island appeals to me because of the Robinson-Crusoe-like situation, with the children creating their own small community on an uninhabited island and learning how to grow or make the things they need in order to survive. It's like a world apart from the world, idyllic in many ways, yet there is tension too. Will the children be discovered? How will they survive as winter draws near? The story is all the better for not having Prince Paul in it - I could never quite believe in him.

Moon Castle is enjoyably spooky, though it seemed to take a long time to get going when I re-read it as an adult.

Killimooin, like Secret Mountain, is another "lost race" story. I love the mysterious forest and the character of Beowald, but again the book is slow-moving in the beginning.

Spiggy Holes is the weakest for me, and I don't remember too much about it. I like the place-name though (Spiggy Holes), unlike Killimooin, which sounds rather peculiar! Where do people think Baronia is, by the way? Central Europe? It's mountainous, and the people wear full skirts or knickerbockers. Yet the weather is very hot in summer. Place names include Jollu and Kikibora, while the names of Baronians include Paul, Ranni, Pilescu, Yamen, Tooku and Beowald.

Anita
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

I have read the first 3 and no 2 dosent have prince paul in it much really as an active caracter!
they are all really good!
Miranda

Secrets

Post by Miranda »

I don't have any 'Secret' books of my own, so I am now relying on my memories of enjoying reading them some 35 years ago! (This shows what a big impression they made on me).
I agree with Anita that Baronia is probably in central Europe; the names sound vaguely Slavic, don't they - apart from Beowald, which has a bit of an Anglo-Saxon ring. It would account for the climate, and also the clothes. My father was Polish, and their traditional dress includes brightly-coloured, tight-waisted, full skirts for the women, and baggy knickerbocker thingies for the men. Perhaps this is what EB had in mind when she was describing the Baronians.
I also found the idea of a 'lost tribe' very compelling.
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

I agree this is a very under-rated series which deserves greater recognition.

The first four stories in the series, all written by 1943, are very dramatic and original; indeed, they are arguably, as good as, if not better, than Blyton's other more well-known titles, such as the Famous Fives.

Why then did Blyton drop this series after The Secret of Killimooin? (Moon Castle was written 10 years later, in what looks like a bit of an afterthought to keep her fans happy). One possibility is that she may have been concerned with the ambiguous connotations of the friendship between the children and Prince Paul from the European country of Baronia. The Second World War was well underway and perhaps she thought that Baronia could be associated a little too closely with the countries at war with England (eg the name Baronia sounds a bit like Bavaria in Germany).

It isn't too much of a stretch to think that in the midst of the Second World War Blyton deliberately "switched off" the "Secret" series in 1943 and "switched on" the "Adventure" series in 1944 as its replacement:

- she replaced one orphan, Jack, with two orphans, Jack (again) and Lucy-Ann;
- she reprised the brother-sister combination with Phillip and Dinah instead of Mike and Nora, and swapped Peggy over to be Lucy-Ann, Jack's sister, thereby evening up the numbers with two brother-sister pairs; and
- she also introduced a mentor and protector, Bill Smugs, who is a British undercover agent, rather than have to rely on Captain and Mrs Arnold, aviators and adventurers whose usefulness seemed to have been exhausted in The Secret Mountain, or Ranni and Pilescu, who by now could well be regarded as enemy agents.

With these changes - and the addition of a talking parrot - Blyton had much more flexibility and was able to develop the "Adventure" books into arguably her finest adventure series.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

The secret series

Post by Viking Star »

I agree the 'Secret' series brilliant and perhaps also underrated, at least in the sense that it doesn't attract anything like the publicity that other series do.

Although I've never come to any firm decisions on what are my favourite EB books, I have many times thought that The Secret Island might be my favourite - which is interesting in the sense that it was the first adventure book EB wrote (I believe).

Obviously other people will have their own favourites, but if Secret Island were EB's best (or near best), then there are perhaps (vague?) parallels with the music business where the biggest hit for songwriters/groups is often their first one, and they spend the rest of their career trying to match that initial success?
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D It's a well known fact on these forums but I really like all the Secret series and the Secret Island is definatly my favourite of all EB's books.
Viking Star

The secret series

Post by Viking Star »

Five runaway together was also one of my favourites.

Perhaps I ought to run away somewhere (ideally an island) with stashes of food and see if anyone can find me! :) :)

Apologies this is slightly off topic.
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

booklover wrote:I agree this is a very under-rated series which deserves greater recognition.

The first four stories in the series, all written by 1943, are very dramatic and original; indeed, they are arguably, as good as, if not better, than Blyton's other more well-known titles, such as the Famous Fives.

Why then did Blyton drop this series after The Secret of Killimooin? (Moon Castle was written 10 years later, in what looks like a bit of an afterthought to keep her fans happy). One possibility is that she may have been concerned with the ambiguous connotations of the friendship between the children and Prince Paul from the European country of Baronia. The Second World War was well underway and perhaps she thought that Baronia could be associated a little too closely with the countries at war with England (eg the name Baronia sounds a bit like Bavaria in Germany).

It isn't too much of a stretch to think that in the midst of the Second World War Blyton deliberately "switched off" the "Secret" series in 1943 and "switched on" the "Adventure" series in 1944 as its replacement:

- she replaced one orphan, Jack, with two orphans, Jack (again) and Lucy-Ann;
- she reprised the brother-sister combination with Phillip and Dinah instead of Mike and Nora, and swapped Peggy over to be Lucy-Ann, Jack's sister, thereby evening up the numbers with two brother-sister pairs; and
- she also introduced a mentor and protector, Bill Smugs, who is a British undercover agent, rather than have to rely on Captain and Mrs Arnold, aviators and adventurers whose usefulness seemed to have been exhausted in The Secret Mountain, or Ranni and Pilescu, who by now could well be regarded as enemy agents.

With these changes - and the addition of a talking parrot - Blyton had much more flexibility and was able to develop the "Adventure" books into arguably her finest adventure series.
You've focused on some interesting points, Booklover, but I don't agree with you when you say the series was "dropped out" due to possible political links. In fact, the Baronian setting was a quite friendly and empathic one, and perhaps Blyton wanted to do a Central Europe "rehab", stressing the good nature of Baronia's people, its folk culture, the breathtaking landscapes, and so on.
"Ranni and Pilescu, who by now could well be regarded as enemy agents" - my goodness, what a Bond movie... :D On the contrary, to me the two kingdoms maintained good political relations, despite Baronia's [hypothetical] location.

As for the "Adventure" books, it's certainly true that Blyton "exploited" some ideas from the previous Secret series. "Mountain of Adventure" works as a pastiche for "Secret Mountain" [is this the correct preposition?].
The loyal bodyguards/intelligence agents give way to Bill Cunningham, aka Smugs. Prince Paul becomes Prince Aloysus in "Circus", and even Baronia transforms into Tauri-Hessia (and if you remember, a not so friendly country).
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

puffin62 wrote:but I don't agree with you when you say the series was "dropped out" due to possible political links. In fact, the Baronian setting was a quite friendly and empathic one, and perhaps Blyton wanted to do a Central Europe "rehab", stressing the good nature of Baronia's people, its folk culture, the breathtaking landscapes, and so on.

It must be said, however, that there was a tremendous anti-foreigner feeling in this country, from the onset of WWII to the end of the 40s. Anyone who wasn't a bone fide British subject was viewed with suspicion - rightly or wrongly. I tend to agree with booklover that this might have been the reason Enid stopped the Secret series. However, puffin62 makes good points as to how this mightn't have been the case.

:roll:
Society Member
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

moonraker wrote:I tend to agree with booklover that this might have been the reason Enid stopped the Secret series. However, puffin62 makes good points as to how this mightn't have been the case.

No further questions, Your Honour... :)
Viking Star

The secret series

Post by Viking Star »

I find Booklover's argument quite compelling. But there are lots of other interesting/intriguing contributions to the debate, and they all serve to whet my appetite to re-read the Secret series after I've finished the Adventure series (about to start 'Circus').

However I had just dabbled a toe back into the Mystery series (a few chapters of 'Burnt Cottage') and surely I can't leave a re-read of the FF books too long. And then there's all the back copies of the EBS journal I've bought. Oh well, a nice problem I suppose! :?
cherryaimless

Post by cherryaimless »

I always remember the Secret series as being the books I never collected, although I do have one of them knocking about on my Blyton shelf...can't remember which one it is though...but I could show you exactly where my treasured Adventure series is.....
Half Term came and went...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I loved the Secret Serie as a child, I'm long overdue for a re-read. The Secret island was my favourite. I never thought too much of Prince Paul though I did like the atmosphere and setting of ..Killimooin.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

The Secret Series

Post by Philip Mannering »

Merged with an older topic.

Hi everybody, I've just got a bit of time so I will post. I don't know whether a similar topic exists or not, but I'm too lazy to see. Anyway:

What do you all think of this series? It has only five books, and after the first all of them became rather 'punctured' by Prince Paul, but in my opinion this series isn't too bad! I absolutely love the first one, The Secret Island and my second favourite is The Secret of Killimooin which I think could have had a better title.

My opinions:

1. The Secret Island - This is an absolute classic. The first of many for Blyton - and as it's one of the first the elements look very fresh and new. This isn't the usual treasure hunt/mystery, but a book that will be fondly remembered by everyone. 9/10
2. The Secret of Spiggy Holes - Hmm. I think Blyton just spoilt this series by adding a new main character, Prince Paul (in fact, he becomes such a main character that each of the following books' start have something to do with him) and so this isn't my favourite. Still quite good, though. 7/10
3. The Secret Mountain - A hit-and-miss, I'd say. I love the whole adventure, it's detailed, it's described very beautifully, but there are some contrived bits. Plus, the whole adventure was done with the help of adults, another bad point. 7/10
4. The Secret of Killimooin - A title which I found difficult to pronounce - but the book was very good. Extremely detailed. 8/10
5. The Secret of Moon Castle - The weakest book, for me. The spooky 'happenings' were quite good, but the ending? Again, a great let-down. 5/10

What are your opinions on this series?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery