What Enid Blyton book have you recently bought?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Enid Blyton book have you recently bought?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Looks good, John! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I don't have that book but I have the title story, 'The House in the Fog', in another collection and it's one of my favourite short stories - delightfully creepy. Best read by candlelight on a dark, foggy evening! Hope you enjoyed the book too, Anjalli!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

If I remember correctly, many stories have been taken from "Enid Blyton's Treasury".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

You are welcome John and enjoy it.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

Thanks Anita I did enjoy it.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Six books I picked up for under £5 plus delivery from the same seller as 'The House in the Fog' I received last week. The six books arrived yesterday and are in 'almost new' condition. I'm thinking about them for my great-granddaughter when she is old enough. :D

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I bought a copy, last week, of The Mystery That Never Was for £2.99 from a charity shop.
I had this book nearly 60 years ago and am rereading it now.
It has elements of the Find-Outers eg thinking someone arriving by train will be in disguise and making up a pretend mystery which will become real.

I’m quite enjoying it but it is not a patch on the Find-Outers
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Boatbuilder wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 18:59 Six books I picked up for under £5 plus delivery from the same seller as 'The House in the Fog' I received last week. The six books arrived yesterday and are in 'almost new' condition. I'm thinking about them for my great-granddaughter when she is old enough. :D
Those are just gorgeous, John — and what a bargain with the price! I don't know most of them (although perhaps the books of short stories include some individual ones that I know from other collections), but the Mr Pink-Whistle books were among my very favourites when I was really little. I hope your great-granddaughter will love them too, when she's ready. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Barnard wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 19:08 I bought a copy, last week, of The Mystery That Never Was for £2.99 from a charity shop.
I had this book nearly 60 years ago and am rereading it now.
It has elements of the Find-Outers eg thinking someone arriving by train will be in disguise and making up a pretend mystery which will become real.

I’m quite enjoying it but it is not a patch on the Find-Outers
Yeah, I read that for the first time (as far as I can remember) in the last year or two.

As you say, there were elements of this Find-Outers in it, though a much inferior version of them. Still, it was an enjoyable bonus read and one that I'm sure I'll read again at some point.
Society Member
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

A pure fluke yesterday. I live in Lewes, East Sussex (I have yet to bump into Jennifer Thanisch, assuming she still lives here…) and went into Bow Books, an antiquarian bookseller. For the first time in ages they had something I was after. £40 but almost immaculate. The spine is a little discoloured but it’s in better condition - and a better price - than anything I’ve seen on eBay or elsewhere for a LONG time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mc3ym4wh8MN74SUk6

I’m clearly being thick, because I can’t work out how to make images show in my post. So a link will have to do 😏
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Look's great Paul. I love Lewes bookshops. Always a great place to browse.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Paul Greaves wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 12:45 A pure fluke yesterday. I live in Lewes, East Sussex (I have yet to bump into Jennifer Thanisch, assuming she still lives here…) and went into Bow Books, an antiquarian bookseller. For the first time in ages they had something I was after. £40 but almost immaculate. The spine is a little discoloured but it’s in better condition - and a better price - than anything I’ve seen on eBay or elsewhere for a LONG time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mc3ym4wh8MN74SUk6

I’m clearly being thick, because I can’t work out how to make images show in my post. So a link will have to do 😏
That's excellent, Paul! Great buy.

If you want to add images to a post, there's a discussion here about how to do it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7396
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well done on finding a book you've been after. :) I've had my eye out for that book for a while now, but have never seen it at a price I'm prepared to pay.

I think I went to Lewes once, many years ago but it would have been in the days before I'd really got back into Enid Blyton books, so wouldn't have thought about visiting a second hand book shop. Maybe it's time for another trip down south. :)
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine, there is currently one of the books on eBay (1st Edition 1959) for £45 + dely. I went on there at about 7:45 pm which is when I saw that and there was also another of the same book, but not a 1st edition, and published by Brockhampton Press in 1966 (second impression) listed at £12 + dely with no bids and the bidding was ending at 8-pm. I put in a maximum bid of £14 and got the book for the starting price of £12. It looks in good condition with dj, although I don't know if any of the pictures within the text are coloured as the one picture shown on eBay was just a b&w one, but I am not concerned about that. The image below is the one I bought and it was sold by a hospice so my money has also gone to a good cause.

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the info John. It does look a lovely book, and I have paid that sort of money once or twice for a book that I especially wanted.

I'd definitely like a copy of the book one day, but I think the £12 - £14 mark would be more like the sum I'd want to pay, and I'd probably be happy not to have a 1st edition.
Society Member
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Boatbuilder wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 22:11 Katharine, there is currently one of the books on eBay (1st Edition 1959) for £45 + dely. I went on there at about 7:45 pm which is when I saw that and there was also another of the same book, but not a 1st edition, and published by Brockhampton Press in 1966 (second impression) listed at £12 + dely with no bids and the bidding was ending at 8-pm. I put in a maximum bid of £14 and got the book for the starting price of £12. It looks in good condition with dj, although I don't know if any of the pictures within the text are coloured as the one picture shown on eBay was just a b&w one, but I am not concerned about that. The image below is the one I bought and it was sold by a hospice so my money has also gone to a good cause.

Ha! Well that’s just typical, isn’t it? 😁
I can’t grumble really. The bookshop I got mine from is a 2 minute walk from my house!
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree