The treasure trove... the mother lode... the jackpot!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jamie

The treasure trove... the mother lode... the jackpot!

Post by Jamie »

As those of you who read my intro post will know, I have a lofty contempt for revisionism, believing as I do that books like EB’s are like time capsules and it is vital to education that they at least be allowed to be available in both forms.

My introduction to EB was circa 1984, aged six, thanks to my sister who had a drawer full of books, including every single Famous Five book ever written, and supplemented about the age of nine by the elder sister of a friend/neighbour who gave me a whole set of Malory Towers. The last time I saw these was about fifteen years ago, when I read a few, aged about eighteen. Then they went into storage somewhere and my old love for the EB world slept… until finding this site about four days ago.

Well two nights ago I declared war on the general crapness of what my world has turned into and went fumbling around my attic at about eleven o’clock at night (might as well make it an adventure, eh?). After about thirty minutes of scaring the neighbours by having my foot come through their ceilings, I came across a broken down cardboard box. Further investigation after a swig of ginger beer for courage revealed many wobbly paper rectangles…

Mishapen from damp damage, in one case spotted with ancient mould… I had found them. Two Famous Fives, three Malory Towers and one St Clares were missing, which was saddening, but more to the point, nineteen Famous Fives, five St Clares, three Mallory Towers and a couple of Mysteries were intact, not one of them later in edition than 1979. In addition I also had a three pack of the first three Adventure stories, bought in the late ‘80’s.

Not just this, knee-knockingly wonderful though this is… but the briefest and most cursory searches of eBay revealed decades old editions of the ones I was missing!

Ladies and gents, I am going to find myself a corner and hug myself for a few hours. This is a very moving moment.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Re: The treasure trove... the mother lode... the jackpot!

Post by Yak »

Awesome, especially the school stories :) I've got some of the original hardbacks myself but others I have to make do with rubbishy modern paperbacks :(
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

What a thrilling discovery!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Jamie wrote: Well two nights ago I declared war on the general crapness of what my world has turned into and went fumbling around my attic at about eleven o’clock at night … I had found them. ...
Ladies and gents, I am going to find myself a corner and hug myself for a few hours. This is a very moving moment.
Oh, how I empathise. Jamie, isn't it queer how when you are depressed (or even just a little bit sad), the anticipation of reading an Enid Blyton raises one's spirits. I feel an early night and an FF beckoning. I've not read an FF for a long time now, so I must just put that right! Agatha Christie's books have the same effect on me, so I might even reach for one of those! :D
Society Member
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Moonraker wrote:
Jamie wrote: Well two nights ago I declared war on the general crapness of what my world has turned into and went fumbling around my attic at about eleven o’clock at night … I had found them. ...
Oh, how I empathise. Jamie, isn't it queer how when you are depressed (or even just a little bit sad), the anticipation of reading an Enid Blyton raises one's spirits. I feel an early night and an FF beckoning. I've not read an FF for a long time now, so I must just put that right! Agatha Christie's books have the same effect on me, so I might even reach for one of those! :D

A forum full of kindred spirits, eh? :wink:
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Yak wrote:Awesome, especially the school stories :) I've got some of the original hardbacks myself but others I have to make do with rubbishy modern paperbacks :(
Definitely! I don't mind paperbacks, so long as they haven't been edited by do-gooders.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Fiona1986 wrote:What a thrilling discovery!

Indeed. If I hadn't had my friend Jimmy the Octopus with me, I could never have done it alone. :mrgreen:
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I don't mind some edits, am annoyed by others. I really do miss the old illustrations tho. Some - most frankly - of the modern ones are absolutely appalling (vide the most recent or second most recent MT illustrations, with Darrell looking like a Bratz doll)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Yak wrote:I don't mind some edits, am annoyed by others. I really do miss the old illustrations tho. Some - most frankly - of the modern ones are absolutely appalling (vide the most recent or second most recent MT illustrations, with Darrell looking like a Bratz doll)

My mental images of the Five are based on the illustrations in the 70's/early 80's editions. (The ones with Gary, Jennifer, Michelle and Marcus on the back of them). I think they're supposed to be modelled after the actors, but they bear only superficial resemblance to them, as do my mental images.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I always thought I was a 'purist' who only liked the original illustrations, but it would appear not. I've been reading early editions of the FFO books, and I really don't like the drawings in those at all. I know I never read any of the books as a child, so maybe it's because I'm an adult, but I dislike them so much I think I prefer my 'newer' paperbacks.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:I've been reading early editions of the FFO books, and I really don't like the drawings in those at all.
Many of are horrified by Joseph Abbey's illustrations. It is only nostalgia that makes me kind of like them! The one on the bus is absurd - there is no gangway, the perspective is all wrong and one side of the bus seems to be higher than the other!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't keen on the illustrations. Although I suspect if I'd grown up with them I'd feel a differently.

I must admit I hadn't noticed the perspective, my reason for disliking them is they always seem so dark and dismal. I appreciate that they were black and white drawings, but then so are the ones by Eileen Soper for the FF and yet somehow I feel they have a light airy feeling to them.

Perhaps I shouldn't criticise, as it's as much as I can do to draw a straight line using a ruler, but I can't help feeling they are rather gloomy for a children's book.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Have we got a thread here were we discuss all the Find Outers illustrators?

I cant remember if we have one or not and its such a fag to start searching and sifting through all the Forum posts! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember seeing one, but if there is, I apologise for veering off topic (once again).
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:Have we got a thread here were we discuss all the Find Outers illustrators?
Have a look here: :wink:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ph#p114987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie wrote:My mental images of the Five are based on the illustrations in the 70's/early 80's editions. (The ones with Gary, Jennifer, Michelle and Marcus on the back of them). I think they're supposed to be modelled after the actors, but they bear only superficial resemblance to them, as do my mental images.
Those illustrations were by Betty Maxey and first appeared in 1974, so perhaps the actors were chosen for their resemblance to the characters in the drawings? :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member