My Enid Blyton Bookcase!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Re: My Enid Blyton Bookcase!

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Fiona1986 wrote:Second edition with dust jacket for £3.04 all together.
Wow, that seems pretty good to me. Is that normal for a second edition? Tony? I am not bothered about collecting first editions necessarily, but I would love a collection of old Enid Blyton (and Just William) books with nice dust wrappers. For that price, I could possibly afford it.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's taken me a long time to find one that cheaply. Usually they are on eBay between £10 and £30.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ah, that seems more like it! That prices me out of the market for a while, unless I get lucky. I would love a few of my favourites, though, but for the time being, like Katharine, I can make do with cheap paperbacks. I actually love lots of the old paperbacks.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My ultimate dream would be to own a first edition of every Enid Blyton book, complete with D/W, but that's highly unlikely in the near future, and probably never. On the whole I'd settle for newer editions as long as they haven't been edited. I actually have all the Adventure series in paperback which I received as birthday and Christmas presents when younger, and nothing would make me part with them. I still remember the excitement as I tore off the paper to see which one I'd received. The Circus picture for some reason is one I particuarly remember. The added bonus of paperbacks is that I can get twice as many in the same space as the original hardbacks.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Yes, the paperbacks certainly take up less space which is important, and if they are old ones that you grew up with, then they mean a lot. I think I would rather part with my hardback Find Outers (mostly not in such great condition), that took years to collect than my bright paperbacks that have the original text and have been with me for years.

Books with wrappers are very hard to get here nowadays. If I’m to get the few remaining Famous Fives that I need to achieve my goal of all 21 with wrappers, then I will have to look overseas. Looks like a good reason to come to the E.B. Day. :)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have boxes of paperback Blytons in the loft. They were my mum's when she was younger and I can't bear to part with them. They're rather tatty but they are of sentimental value to both of us.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Thanks for starting this topic Pete its great. And thankyou to everyone who has allowed me to view your collections.

There is nothing better, as an obsessive book lover/collector, than seeing and sharing in other obsessive bookie collections.

When I lived in Brisbane (Qld) I had the pleasure of being part of the State Library's bibliofile group. We would meet every couple of months. The meetings would be held either in the room with the Library's amazing antiquarian section (actually seeing & handling the books) or in one of the members home to view their collection. It was such fun to spend time sharing these collections with a group of people who didn't find it at all strange that you were obsessed with books and they expected your home to be over-run with books.

I would love to share photos of my collection with you all but I don't think I'll ever work out how to load pictures onto the forum. I'm still having trouble adding these comments.

The collections shown here are all quite different and all really wonderful.

thanks
Aussie Sue
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Aussie Sue wrote:I would love to share photos of my collection with you all but I don't think I'll ever work out how to load pictures onto the forum.
If you save your photos to "My Pictures" on your computer, Sue, and resize them so they fit on the forums (they must be no greater than 520x520 pixels) you could then join a hosting site like Photobucket. You have to register, but it's free to do so. Photobucket gives you instructions on how to upload photos, and once a photo is uploaded to Photobucket you'll see some "tags" (lines of code) beneath them. Copy the line of code that says "IMG Code", and paste it into your message on the forums. When you press "Submit" (or perhaps "Preview" so you can check it yourself first), the photo should show up in your post. The trouble with these things is that they do take time.

My bookcases are a bit messy at the moment, but I'll try to take some photos one day when I've tidied them up!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Thanks Anita, I'll give it a try.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have about 70 Biggles books and I don't really collect them either! :roll:
Do you have “Biggles combs his hair”?
:)
SMITHY
Favourite book/series: the adventures of the wishing chair

Post by SMITHY »

I thought this site may be interesting to look at & this forum seemed the perfect place to tell you, as they are wanting photos of Enid Blyton bookcases. The first two pictures that (should) appear are of my bookshelf, that I sent to the blogger previously. http://letblytonin.blogspot.com/
My collection is quite a bit bigger now & I plan on sending a new photo early next year.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Smithy.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I notice that Stephen has used the blog to yet again plug his book! :roll:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:I notice that Stephen has used the blog to yet again plug his book! :roll:
An author's gotta eat. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thought it was about time I included a few shots of one of my bookcases.

This is my upstairs bookcase-my wife has asked me display the rest of my bookcases in my cellar/ 'den'/man cave for logistical reasons!

I also collect Agatha Christie's....

Reference books top shelf.You can just see the start of my complete 'Hammond Innes' collection top right which runs into my Jack Higgins collection,which then runs into my Clive Cussler Collection,finishing round the corner with all my Ruth Rendells. :D :D

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member