My Enid Blyton Bookcase!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Tony Summerfield

Re: My Enid Blyton Bookcase!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:And I just add what a STUPID system this forum has for pictures!
It was only 500 at one time, but I increased it to 520 as that is the size that I have used on internal illustrations in the Cave and by increasing it I let people take pictures from the Cave for the Captions thread in Games. At one time that was the widest picture we could take, but the width of the whole site was altered and I can now use a maximum width of 620. If it was wanted I could increase the image width to 620, but for the moment it will stay at 520 and for future reference you now know the maximum width, Fiona. I actually adjust the width of images that I post before I load them onto photobucket - it is much easier then! :roll:
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The problem isn't so much the width as the fact that once the pictures been adjusted it still won't accept it!
Though I would like the limit to be a little bigger - the second picture was too large even when cropped so I had to shrink it to about 95% which is why it's not as good quality as the first pic. I don't always remember to check the pixel width of pictures I take, anyway. I'd already spent time taking the pics on my phone and then had to upload them to facebook (the only way I can manage to get pics off my phone) and then save them onto my laptop. By that time I just wanted them on!

Well done Stef, the dog is Timmy! (He belonged to my Sindy doll family once upon a time). He is in front of the Five Find Outers series though, Daisy!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

What I've found interesting about the photos so far is that like my collection of EB books there appears to be a mixture of old and new. Plus I have several FF with dust wrappers, but no Secret Seven. I wonder did owners of SS books handle their wrappers more roughly so they didn't survive? Similarly the 'Adventure Series', although as they are larger books I can imagine they would be awkward to handle with a dust wrapper and get torn more easily.

This might act as an incentive to me to tidy up my collection so I can take a photo of it. :)
Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Great thread Pete!!!!
I have bookshelf envy!

I've only the one book shelf with three shelves, so at the moment my shelf is supporting two rows of books on each shelf. Half of my Blyton's are hidden behind rows of other Blyton's, so photos would not really show my collection. My dream is to have them all showing on shelves - if only I had space in my room for another bookshelf! I've hinted to my sister that it is really time for her to move out in an attempt to gain some more wall space to house a few bookshelves. But no luck - she's a permanent fixture here.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Since my collection consists mostly of modern paperbacks (1990s) I won't post close-ups; it's quite pathetic, really! But here's a picture of my bookcase.

Ming's Bookcase

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have seen the picture of your bookcase before, Ming. I liked it then and I like it now and I love the colour. Brilliant! :D

My book collection is huge as I have been a bibliophile from early childhood and since then have accumulated enough books to fill a small library. Sadly, I don't have enough room at home to create a small library and so some of my books are in bookcases in various parts of the house while others are in cases in the conservatory and some are in boxes in the loft. My dream is to have enough money to be able to move to a larger house with enough space to have a library cum study constructed to my own design. Ah, well I can dream... :wink:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I can see some Harry Potter books there, Ming but can't really work out what else. What are the books on the bottom right shelf?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I'm not sure which ones you're asking about, Fiona, so here's the direct Facebook link, with tags. Hope that answers your question!

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah, genius! I think they're Agatha Christies.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I did a quick re-arrange of my bookshelf and an unpack of a box so I could take a photo or two.

As you can see, mine are all fairly recent editions - The majority are from the 90's.
(Some of my Trixie Belden collection also got into the shot.)
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

The top pic looks almost like a book shop Jen. I really love looking at people's book collections!

I found another pic of my phone that shows more of both bookcases and the various piles of books on the drawers underneath.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've got a couple of pics of my two bookscases, but when I try to paste it here it won't paste. I can give a link to photobucket, but I see some have a pic without that. How can I do that anyone? Just put my pic straight here?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I've got a couple of pics of my two bookscases, but when I try to paste it here it won't paste. I can give a link to photobucket, but I see some have a pic without that. How can I do that anyone? Just put my pic straight here?

8)
Copy and paste the IMG share link photobucket gives you.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Fiona. I still have to use photobucket then. Won't it work without?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If you copy and paste the "IMG Code" link from beneath the photo on Photobucket, your picture will show up in your post, Julie.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member