Good Enid Blyton Winter/Christmas Reads

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Good Enid Blyton Winter/Xmas Reads!!

Post by sixret »

Moonraker wrote:I probably say this every year, but Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's Christmas is a must.
Agreed.

If you like to read classic/vintage mystery books with Christmas theme, I recommend some books that I have read and like.

Below are the books.

The pictures are same with my books that I own.

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie(1938)

It is Christmas Eve. The Lee family reunion is shattered by a deafening crash of furniture, followed by a high-pitched wailing scream. Upstairs, the tyrannical Simeon Lee lies dead in a pool of blood, his throat slashed. But when Hercule Poirot, who is staying in the village with a friend for Christmas, offers to assist, he finds an atmosphere not of mourning but of mutual suspicion. It seems everyone had their own reason to hate the old man

The Sittaford Mystery aka Murder At Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie(1931)

It was a typical Dickens Christmas: deep snow everywhere, and down in the little
village of Sittaford on the fringe of Dartmoor probably deeper than anywhere.
Mrs. Willett, the winter tenant in Captain Trevelyan'ss country house, was,
with her daughter Violet, giving a party.Finally they decided to do a little
table rapping and after the usual number of inconsequential messages from the
"other side", suddenly the table announced that Captain Trevelyan was
dead.His oldest friend, Captain Burnaby, was disturbed. He quickly left the
house and tramped ten miles of snowy roads to Exhampton.There was no sign of
life in Trevelyan's house.A back window was broken in and the light was
"burning”and there, on the floor, was the body of Trevelyan.Inspector
Narracott took the case in hand, and after wandering through a maze of false
clues and suspects, he ultimately discovered the murderer of Captain
Trevelyan.Mrs. Christie has never
formulated a more ingenious or enthralling plot and her characterisation is of
the vivid type which marked The Murder at the Vicarage and The Murder of Roger
Ackroyd.

Tied Up In Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh(1972)

Christmas time in an isolated country house and, following a flaming row in the kitchen, there's murder inside. When a much disliked visiting servant disappears without trace after playing Santa Claus, foul play is at once suspected -- and foul play it proves to be. Only suspicion falls not on the staff but on the guests, all so unimpeachably respectable that the very thought of murder in connection with any of them seems almost heresy. When Superintendent Roderick Alleyn returns unexpectedly from a trip to Australia, it is to find his beloved wife in the thick of an intriguing mystery...

Death And The Dancing Footman(1941)

It began as an entertainment: eight people, many of them enemies, gathered for a winter weekend as guests of a host with a love for theatre. Everybody had an alibi - and most a motive as well. But for Chief Detective Inspector Roderick Alleyn the case rested on the dancing footman.

Note:The cover is different from my own copies.I could not find the same cover.

Envious Casca by Georgete Heyer(1941)

It is no ordinary Christmas at Lexham Manor. Six holiday guests find themselves the suspects of a murder enquiry when the old Scrooge Nathaniel Herriard, who owns the substantial estate, is found stabbed in the back. Whilst the delicate matter of inheritance could be the key to this crime, the real conundrum is how any of the suspects could have entered the locked room to commit this foul deed. For Inspector Hemingway of Scotland Yard, 'tis the season to find whodunit.

An English Murder aka The Christmas Murder by Cyril Hare(1951)

A classic detective story from one of the best-loved Golden Age crime writers, Cyril Hare, originally published in 1951. The setting of An English Murder seems, at first, to be a very conventional one. A group of family and friends come together for Christmas at a country house, Warbeck Hall. The house is owned by Lord Warbeck, a dying and impoverished peer who wants to be among loved ones for what he thinks will be his last Christmas. The holiday decorations are up and snow is falling fast outside. The guests range from the Lord’s difficult son to a visiting Czech historian. There is, of course, a faithful butler and his ambitious daughter. But when the murders begin, there is nothing at all conventional about them - or the manner of their detection. This ingenious detective story gleefully plays with all of our expectations about what an ‘English murder’ might be and offers enough twists and turns to keep us reading into the night. 'Of Cyril Hare’s detective stories my only complaint is, that they are too infrequent.’

'By a long shot, the best crime story I have read for a long time. Everything is traditional, but originality does not suffer. The setting is perfect.'-Irish Press
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

If you like to read mystery short stories for Christmas.

I would like to recommend 2 anthologies:

Murder Most Merry

Edited by Abigail Browning

32 Christmas mystery short stories

The contents:

viii · Introduction · Abigail Browning · in
1 · A Winter’s Tale · Ann Cleeves · ss Northern Blood, ed. Martin Edwards, Didsbury, 1992
11 · Grist for the Mills of Christmas · James Powell · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’94
20 · As Dark as Christmas Gets [Chip Harrison; Leo Haig] · Lawrence Block · nv New York: The Mysterious Press, 1997
40 · Rumpole and the Spirit of Christmas [Horace Rumpole] · John Mortimer · ss Regina v Rumpole, Lane, 1981
50 · Dead on Christmas Street · John D. MacDonald · nv Colliers Dec 20 ’52
63 · Miss Crindle and Father Christmas · Malcolm Gray · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’90
75 · Mystery for Christmas · Anthony Boucher · ss EQMM Jan ’43
88 · The Case Is Altered [Albert Campion] · Margery Allingham · ss The Strand Dec ’38
101 · Christmas Cop · Thomas Larry Adcock · ss EQMM Mar ’86
111 · The Theft of the Christmas Stocking [Nick Velvet] · Edward D. Hoch · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’89
125 · The Christmas Bear · Herbert Resnicow · nv AHMM Jan ’90
136 · The Shape of the Nightmare · Francis M. Nevins, Jr. · ss EQMM Jan 1 ’82
150 · Christmas Gift · Robert Turner · ss AHMM Jan ’57
156 · Santa’s Way · James Powell · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’91
163 · I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Claus · George Baxt · ss EQMM Sep ’90
170 · Supper with Miss Shivers [“The Christmas Present”] · Peter Lovesey · ss Woman’s Own Dec 24 ’90
178 · Appalachian Blackmail · Jacqueline Vivelo · ss AHMM Jan ’94
185 · On Christmas Day in the Morning [Albert Campion] · Margery Allingham · ss The (London) Evening Standard Dec 23 ’50
193 · Santa Claus Beat [“Tough Cop’s Gift”] · Rex Stout · ss What’s New Dec ’53
197 · White Like the Snow · Dan Stumpf · ss EQMM Jan ’99
206 · Rumpole and the Chambers Party [Horace Rumpole] · John Mortimer · ss Rumpole and the Age of Miracles, Penguin, 1988
211 · The Spy and the Christmas Cipher [Jeffrey Rand] · Edward D. Hoch · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’90
224 · Inspector Tierce and the Christmas Visits · Jeffry Scott · nv AHMM Jan ’95
241 · Christmas Party · Martin Werner · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’91
248 · The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle [Sherlock Holmes] · Arthur Conan Doyle · ss The Strand Jan, 1892
265 · The Embezzler’s Christmas Present · Ennis Duling · ss AHMM Dec ’82
271 · Believing in Santa · Ron Goulart · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’94
281 · Pass the Parcel · Peter Lovesey · ss Midwinter Mysteries 3, ed. Hilary Hale, London: Little, Brown, 1993
294 · The Theft of Santa’s Beard [Nick Velvet] · Edward D. Hoch · ss EQMM mid-Dec ’92
309 · A Matter of Life and Death [Insp. Jules Maigret] · Georges Simenon; trans. by Geoffrey Sainsbury · na EQMM Jan ’52
358 · Murder Under the Mistletoe [Albert Campion] · Margery Allingham · ss EQMM Jan ’63
367 · Who Killed Father Christmas? · Patricia Moyes · ss Who Done It?, ed. Alice Laurance & Isaac Asimov, Houghton Mifflin, 1980

Murder For Christmas

Edited by Thomas Godfrey

26 Tales of Yuletide Malice

Although the themes of Christmas and crime might seem to be diametrically opposed, the Yuletide season has always brought out the best in mystery writers, who find endless inspiration in the trappings of the holiday. A stocking stuffed with 26 entertaining stories, this anthology samples the delicious wares of such noted masters of mystery as Arthur Conan Doyle, Agat ha Christie, Rex Stout, Ngaio Marsh, Ellery Queen, and John Dickson Carr. It also includes some unexpected tidbits from authors outside the crime canon: Thomas Hardy, Damon Runyon, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, even Woody Allen! Celebrate the holidays with tales of murder, deceit, shoplifting, kidnapping, and murder 'round the wassail bowl! Illustrated with wonderfully malevolent black and white line drawings and cartoons by the ghoulish Gahan Wilson, this collection of holiday mysteries will chill the cockles of a crime lover's heart.
hobbes
Favourite book/series: The Adventure series. The Famous Five. The Secret
Favourite character: Dick, Bill Smugs

Post by hobbes »

The ultimate Christmas read for me Is John Masefields Box of Delights - although I was given the BBC adaptation last year and found it a bit creaky- not as good as I remember!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't have a particular Christmas read, but if I was going to read a book during Christmas it would have to be one that features Christmas, either a Find-Outer or Famous Five and one with snow of course!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Spurred on by comments on this thread, I have bought a copy of Tom's Midnight Garden, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am about ¾ of the way through, and am loving every minute of it. Thanks, Anita et al.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm delighted to hear that you are enjoying Tom's Midnight Garden, Nigel. I shall be interested to see your comments about this great book once you have finished reading it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thats a coincidence. I have bought a copy off ebay as well. I haven't started it yet though. I'm afraid it has simply joined the large pile. Perhaps I'll make it my Chtistmas read. My only memory of this story is the BBC series from the 70's. I remember enjoying that very much so am looking forward to getting to grips with the book.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Glad you're enjoying it, Nigel, and I hope you do too, John!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I have requested it from my nearest and dearest as a Christmas pressie! There's nothing better than a few children's books for Christmas, in my opinion!

Sixret, that's a fantastic list of books! The one that really leapt out at me was Envious Casca. I read a lot of Georgette Heyer when I was a teenager. I'm sure I've read that one, but I can't remember any of the plot. I will look out for it. Same goes for Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

Being reminded of these almost-forgotton books in your post is a bit like coming across old friends! :)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

pete9012S wrote:
Enikyoga wrote:Five Get into +A Fix would have been almost at par with Five Go Adventuring Again but for the fact that George had laid sick in bed on Christmas day.
Stephen I.
Lovely to hear from you Stephen!....hope its not too cold wherever you are!! :D
ps.dont know if youve ever mentioned it before,but I wonder,what is your favourite Enid Blyton book of all time ,and why?

warmest regards

Pete
My favorite Enid Blyton book is House-At-The-Corner. This stand-alone-book is surely a classic. It garners a lot of emotions just as the other Blyton standalones, but in my opinion, House-At-The-Corner tops them all. It is a while since I read it (mind you for the second time), but nonetheless,the family intrigues, Dad's accident, Aunt Grace's monetary rescue makes this book a classic. It should be one of those Enid Blyton books that ought to be turned into a movie and if the emotions in it are well captured, it could be a very strong Oscar contender.
Stephen I.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My most moving Christmas story I think still remains 'The Little Matchgirl'.....which made me cry aged about 8 or 9 when I first read it......it doesnt matter how often ive re-read it since then,I still find it incredible moving and emotional......

The Little Match Girl..........

Most terribly cold it was; it snowed, and was nearly quite dark, and evening-- the last evening of the year. In this cold and darkness there went along the street a poor little girl, bareheaded, and with naked feet. When she left home she had slippers on, it is true; but what was the good of that? They were very large slippers, which her mother had hitherto worn; so large were they; and the poor little thing lost them as she scuffled away across the street, because of two carriages that rolled by dreadfully fast.

One slipper was nowhere to be found; the other had been laid hold of by an urchin, and off he ran with it; he thought it would do capitally for a cradle when he some day or other should have children himself. So the little maiden walked on with her tiny naked feet, that were quite red and blue from cold. She carried a quantity of matches in an old apron, and she held a bundle of them in her hand. Nobody had bought anything of her the whole livelong day; no one had given her a single farthing.

She crept along trembling with cold and hunger--a very picture of sorrow, the poor little thing!

The flakes of snow covered her long fair hair, which fell in beautiful curls around her neck; but of that, of course, she never once now thought. From all the windows the candles were gleaming, and it smelt so deliciously of roast goose, for you know it was New Year's Eve; yes, of that she thought.

In a corner formed by two houses, of which one advanced more than the other, she seated herself down and cowered together. Her little feet she had drawn close up to her, but she grew colder and colder, and to go home she did not venture, for she had not sold any matches and could not bring a farthing of money: from her father she would certainly get blows, and at home it was cold too, for above her she had only the roof, through which the wind whistled, even though the largest cracks were stopped up with straw and rags.

Her little hands were almost numbed with cold. Oh! a match might afford her a world of comfort, if she only dared take a single one out of the bundle, draw it against the wall, and warm her fingers by it. She drew one out. "Rischt!" how it blazed, how it burnt! It was a warm, bright flame, like a candle, as she held her hands over it: it was a wonderful light. It seemed really to the little maiden as though she were sitting before a large iron stove, with burnished brass feet and a brass ornament at top. The fire burned with such blessed influence; it warmed so delightfully. The little girl had already stretched out her feet to warm them too; but--the small flame went out, the stove vanished: she had only the remains of the burnt-out match in her hand.

She rubbed another against the wall: it burned brightly, and where the light fell on the wall, there the wall became transparent like a veil, so that she could see into the room. On the table was spread a snow-white tablecloth; upon it was a splendid porcelain service, and the roast goose was steaming famously with its stuffing of apple and dried plums. And what was still more capital to behold was, the goose hopped down from the dish, reeled about on the floor with knife and fork in its breast, till it came up to the poor little girl; when--the match went out and nothing but the thick, cold, damp wall was left behind. She lighted another match. Now there she was sitting under the most magnificent Christmas tree: it was still larger, and more decorated than the one which she had seen through the glass door in the rich merchant's house.

Thousands of lights were burning on the green branches, and gaily-colored pictures, such as she had seen in the shop-windows, looked down upon her. The little maiden stretched out her hands towards them when--the match went out. The lights of the Christmas tree rose higher and higher, she saw them now as stars in heaven; one fell down and formed a long trail of fire.

"Someone is just dead!" said the little girl; for her old grandmother, the only person who had loved her, and who was now no more, had told her, that when a star falls, a soul ascends to God.

She drew another match against the wall: it was again light, and in the lustre there stood the old grandmother, so bright and radiant, so mild, and with such an expression of love.

"Grandmother!" cried the little one. "Oh, take me with you! You go away when the match burns out; you vanish like the warm stove, like the delicious roast goose, and like the magnificent Christmas tree!" And she rubbed the whole bundle of matches quickly against the wall, for she wanted to be quite sure of keeping her grandmother near her. And the matches gave such a brilliant light that it was brighter than at noon-day: never formerly had the grandmother been so beautiful and so tall. She took the little maiden, on her arm, and both flew in brightness and in joy so high, so very high, and then above was neither cold, nor hunger, nor anxiety--they were with God.

But in the corner, at the cold hour of dawn, sat the poor girl, with rosy cheeks and with a smiling mouth, leaning against the wall--frozen to death on the last evening of the old year. Stiff and stark sat the child there with her matches, of which one bundle had been burnt. "She wanted to warm herself," people said. No one had the slightest suspicion of what beautiful things she had seen; no one even dreamed of the splendor in which, with her grandmother she had entered on the joys of a new year.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

'The Snow-Child' by Nathaniel Hawthorne is another bittersweet wintry tale. And the Ladybird book The Wise Robin is a lovely story by Noel Barr, featuring beautiful P. B. Hickling illustrations of robins and a Christmas tree. I've also just remembered a story from My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards, called 'The Naughtiest Story of All', in which Father Christmas visits the big sister's school and the naughty little sister calls him "a horrid old man" and bites him.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:'The Snow-Child' by Nathaniel Hawthorne is another bittersweet wintry tale. And the Ladybird book The Wise Robin is a lovely story by Noel Barr, featuring beautiful P. B. Hickling illustrations of robins and a Christmas tree. I've also just remembered a story from My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards, called 'The Naughtiest Story of All', in which Father Christmas visits the big sister's school and the naughty little sister calls him "a horrid old man" and bites him.

Thats one of the things I love about this site...the excellent recommendations from other forum members...dont think ive read or heard of the snow child..so im off to check that one out and read it..many thanks......there must be so many brilliant books out there already written,just waiting for us to find them!! :D

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Two non Blyton favourites of ine:

Snowed-Up With a Secret - Agnes Miall
Christmas at the Priory - Marjorie Cleves

Happy Christmas and peaceful 2011 to all.
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Blyton winter reading has to be Ratatat!!! I have no idea why some think it is not a strong story. The setting and scenario still creeps me out. Love it.

Non Blyton - A little Princess always makes me feel christmassy.

ps - have been wondering for ages how to make Janets blackcurrant tea. My mum has been in possession of my secret seven books for a few years and I could never remember which book it was in. Now I know I can look it up :)