Good Enid Blyton Winter/Christmas Reads

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Re: Good Enid Blyton Winter/Xmas Reads!!

Post by Spitfire »

The ideal Blyton winter read for me is Rat-a-Tat. Though not a strong story in itself, I love the descriptions of the children's cheerful cosy evenings inside the house, cut off by the deep snow. And Snubby's antics with the bear-skin make me chuckle.

Apart Enid Blyton, there are always certain books that I feel an urge to revisit this time of year -C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Dicken's The Christmas Carol and his short stories, M.R. James' Ghost Stories, Kenneth Grahame's The Wind In the Willows - especially the bit where Mole and Ratty find Mole End - and various Agatha Christie's. These old favourites are the sort of literary equivalent of comfort eating, to stave off the infiltration into my mind of gloomy feelings brought on by the relentless dark, cold and wet of winter...

:D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting to hear of people's favourite winter reads by other authors. Two of mine are The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper and The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. And last year I discovered Arthur Ransome's delightful Winter Holiday.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

A couple of favourite Christmas reads for me are "The Christmas Mouse" by Miss Read and "Christmas at Nettleford" by Malcolm Saville. I can highly recommend them. And stating the bloomin' obvious how about "The Christmas Book" by Enid Blyton?
Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Interesting to hear of people's favourite winter reads by other authors. Two of mine are The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper and The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. And last year I discovered Arthur Ransome's delightful Winter Holiday.

favourite Winter/Christmas reads by other authors, for me include A Christmas Carol, The Cricket on the Hearth, lion, with etc, as previously mentioned, and, topping the list for a winter read, 'The Mystery of the Island' by Isobel Knight: a very atmospheric book with great winter scenes! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Beatrix Potter's The Tailor of Gloucester is another lovely read for this time of year - it reminds me of The Elves and the Shoemaker. The animated version of The Tailor of Gloucester is enchanting.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I probably say this every year, but Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's Christmas is a must.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I suppose everyone has already read this...but seeing how we are away from Enid for a bit,heres a plug for it....
utterly brilliant.....remember the part of the book where Tom find the ice skates hidden years earlier?...always gives me goosebumps! :D

theres more info about this briliant book here.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phili ... Garden.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's one of my favourites too Pete! The BBC did a good adaptation of it about 30 years ago. Another of hers, but quite different is 'Minnow on the Say' which I think is also very good. - having just used your link I see that the BBC did more than one adaptation - the one I remember was 1974.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Tom's Midnight Garden is a book I've not yet read, (nor seen the film either) though it's on my mental list of 'must reads' (a list which if written down would probably stretch the whole street! :lol: ). The Wikipedia article has intrigued me so much that I intend to try to get it from the local library and read it over Christmas. I find that children's stories containing ghosts don't always appeal to me very much - they're too often a bit Hallowe'en-ish.... though I've always loved The Children of Green Knowe.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Interesting to hear of people's favourite winter reads by other authors. Two of mine are The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper and The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. And last year I discovered Arthur Ransome's delightful Winter Holiday.

My sister (another bookworm!) introduced me to Susan Cooper earlier this year, with The Dawn of Fear - a really powerful story (I love children's war stories). I've been meaning to make time for her fantasy novels too as she's a great story teller.

:)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tom's Midnight Garden is probably my favourite children's book of all time (sorry, Enid!) I was enthralled by it when I first read it as a child and it still moves me on every re-read, even though I know exactly what's going to happen. My daughter and I saw a wonderful stage adaptation some years ago in which the final meeting of Tom and Hatty was so touching that I had to dig my fingernails hard into my palms to keep back the tears!
Spitfire wrote:My sister (another bookworm!) introduced me to Susan Cooper earlier this year, with The Dawn of Fear - a really powerful story (I love children's war stories). I've been meaning to make time for her fantasy novels too as she's a great story teller.
I'll have to look out for The Dawn of Fear. The Dark is Rising is the second book in a series of five beginning with Over Sea, Under Stone. The stories contain elements of Arthurian legend and each book has quite a different "feel" to it - very well written and atmospheric, though the way the magic works is a little hard to grasp in places (but perhaps that's just me!) A film of The Dark is Rising came out a few years ago but differed so much from the book that the story was barely recognisable - a complete travesty in my opinion.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Tom's Midnight Garden is probably my favourite children's book of all time (sorry, Enid!) I was enthralled by it when I first read it as a child and it still moves me on every re-read, even though I know exactly what's going to happen. My daughter and I saw a wonderful stage adaptation some years ago in which the final meeting of Tom and Hatty was so touching that I had to dig my fingernails hard into my palms to keep back the tears!
Tom's Midnight Garden is definitely my favourite children's book of all time, as I have said previously on the forums (although the books in Enid Blyton's Mystery series are a close second). I have read it several times and always enjoy a return visit. For anyone who hasn't discovered this wonderful book yet, I urge you to go and find a copy. You won't be sorry you made the effort! There have been three BBC television adaptations of the book: in 1968, 1974 and 1989:

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/tomsmid.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 1989 production was by far the most superior version with Jeremy Rampling playing the part of Tom and Caroline Waldron taking on the role of Hatty.

The 1999 film version, which starred a much too old Anthony Way as Tom and Alfie Lawrence as Hatty, was extremely disappointing and not to be recommended.

Chick and I went to see a stage production of Tom's Midnight Garden in 2001 at the Brighton Dome in which the child characters were played by young adults. In fact, the part of Tom was played by a superb black actor (Dale Superville) and this took a bit of getting used to but the actors were surprisingly convincing and we were soon lost in the story.

The book still moves me on very re-read too, Anita. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

One of my favourite Christmas reads is A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas.

I recorded the 1987 TV film (now available on DVD), starring Denholm Elliott as Old Geraint, which we watch every Christmas. For those not familiar with the book or film, I recommend both as wonderful Christmas entertainment.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Timmylover wrote:One of my favourite Christmas reads is A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas.

I recorded the 1987 TV film (now available on DVD), starring Denholm Elliott as Old Geraint, which we watch every Christmas. For those not familiar with the book or film, I recommend both as wonderful Christmas entertainment.
Agreed - another great Christmas read. :D

I remember watching the 1987 film on television and enjoying it very much, Deborah. :D I believe it's only available on a Region 1 DVD, which can't be played in the UK. :cry:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Eddie Muir wrote:Agreed - another great Christmas read. :D

I remember watching the 1987 film on television and enjoying it very much, Deborah. :D I believe it's only available on a Region 1 DVD, which can't be played in the UK. :cry:
You're quite correct Eddie, without a multi-regional DVD player one is quite scuppered although, so my son tells me, there is a code which can be used in order to play Region 1 DVDs in the UK. Maybe someone on the forums may know more about this.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

pete9012S wrote:I suppose everyone has already read this...but seeing how we are away from Enid for a bit,heres a plug for it....
utterly brilliant.....remember the part of the book where Tom find the ice skates hidden years earlier?...always gives me goosebumps! :D

theres more info about this briliant book here.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phili ... Garden.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you so much Pete.This book has been added into my TBB/TBR list.

When I was searching for more information about the book, I have come across a book titled Moondial by Helen Cresswell.This book also has been added into my TBB/TBR list.

Moondial by Hele Creswell

Minty is staying with her maiden aunt and discovers that the moondial in the huge house nearby has the power to take her back in time. On her time travels, she meets two children who are desperately in need of help and she encounters danger and excitement in her bid to rescue them.