Julian - What do you think of him?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Re: Julian - What do you think of him?

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I quite like that episode where Julian asserts this authority to try and protect Anne. He is very caring and thoughtful of her. I wish my brother had been like that ! Maybe I am just too old fashioned for words. I know my kids think I am.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Hannah wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 02:38As Mr. Luffy was there there was no reason to leave her behind just because Anne didn't want to come, for example.

If I recall correctly, they didn't want Mr Luffy to know because he'd have stopped them going, or gone with them. That's why they left the girls behind.

I agree with you that there were many situations where it was apparently ok to take the girls into potentially very dangerous situations. With no concerns.
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I don't think that they would have had to tell Mr Luffy in advance, Jack400. It should have been enough that Anne could have gone to him in case of any trouble (he would have noticed that something was wrong in that case - but I don't think it would have made a difference if George was there or not because the boys would have been gone).
Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

I think they were reluctant to leave her on her own. Don't forget that she was prepared to believe that she was sitting on a volcano! And George was "as good as any boy"!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Julian could have suggested to stay with Anne, or that Dick stay behind.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

I'm sure Dick would have been delighted to have stayed in the tent and played ' house' with Anne :D
Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

If I could rewrite the Five series I would make both Julian and Dick to stay at the campsites to do the washing up before they go haring off on some VIP, boy’s only, epic and legendary mission.

After all we don’t want delicate, dainty little Anne to end up with dishpan hands - that would simply not do! Man up boys! There are the dishes - here’s the soap - here’s a tea towel ANY BREAKAGES WILL COST YOU A SHILLING!

Meanwhile George and Timmy can go off and complete the mission. Sorry but Anne has to stay and supervise! Or rather patiently instruct the boys on how to wash, rinse and dry dishes. It’s going to be a long evening for Anne :(
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I often had the impression that Anne was actually glad to see the back of George and the boys so that she could have fun doing the various house-keeping tasks in peace and quiet. However, a more even division of the chores would not be a bad idea!
Society Member