The Rubadub Mystery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Rubadub Mystery

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:then started Rat A Tat, but gave it up halfway through, as I feel it's so weak.
rat-a-Tat and Ragamuffin feel very different because of the change in Barney's status. This makes them obviously "add ons" to the series. Despite that I like them both. Rat-a-Tat is particularly suited to this time of year as it is set in bitterly cold snowy weather.
I agree that Barney's status change is a big downfall from Rat=a-tat onwards, and I think it's also easy to tell that Enid had lost interest in the characters and was merely writing another one to please her readers rather than herself - a big mistake when it comes to writing. It all feels tired and now that Barney is civilised there's no thrust to the story, neither is their the feeling of continuity as there was in the first four books..

I started reading it because of the setting - and must have read it a couple of times before at least, but I'd never read it straight after Rubadub, and I think this didnt help at all, as Rubadub is so very well written, and the two are bound to compare unfavourably.

Rat-a-Tat has some great plot ideas, but Enid never seems to really develop them, and in fact she often dismisses them. Everyone gets all excited about the knocker banging, or footsteps leading only one way to the door etc and then they all sit down to breakfast. Snubby sees the snowman looking in the window - but it's made silly rather than frightening - every scary and unexplained occurrence seems to be wiped away in the next paragraph by tea and scones or bacon and eggs or a game of cards. Instead of Enid building up the tension and dragging it out, keeping us on tenterhooks, she dismisses things, never allowing the tension to reach even the point of mild fear. I know this is a children's book, but she managed scary things much better in other stories. I much prefer 'The Secret of Moon Castle' which has similar plot ideas but is much better done in my opinion.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I can't believe The Rat-a-Tat Mystery isn't more popular! In my opinion, it has got all the essential ingredients of a great mystery and a fantastic plot and outcome! As I have mentioned several times - I love the Barney series because of the eerie legends mixed in with a modern-day mystery, and the legend of how the big door knocker sounds throughout the house when there is a traitor inside, I always find decidedly chilling! The cosiness of Rat-a-Tat House is brilliant: I picture the building exactly as it is on the Anyon Cook original dust wrapper, and I think it looks a haunting and thrilling old place which adds to the already existent mystical atmosphere surrounding it. The snowman scene is also thrilling, in my opinion. It is definitely slightly creepy, even if it isn't really scary.

Also, I think we see a more mature side to Snubby (though he is idiotic on various occasions!) He isn't always being annoying and forever pestering as he is in some earlier titles. And on the subject of Barney: I always share Roger, Diana and Snubby's relief on him being just the same good old Barney!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I agree. Some of the titles are pretty dire in my opinion.
Really? I like them all.
Not sure why I wrote that. 'Pretty dire' is the wrong phrase; some, just better than others. But then I suppose that applies to every series.

I am due for a re-read. Rilloby Fair is so predictable, but Rat-a-Tat, Rub-a-Dub and Moon Castle stand out for me as the best in the series.
Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

You definitely are due for a re-read old chap as "Moon Castle" is from the 'Secret' series not the ''R' Mysteries'. :wink:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote: I am due for a re-read. Rilloby Fair is so predictable, but Rat-a-Tat, Rub-a-Dub and Moon Castle stand out for me as the best in the series.
I actually agree that Rilloby Fair is predictable, but not perhaps the first time you read it? The thing I like about Rilloby Fair most is the characters and interactions, rather than the mystery itself.

Rat-a-tat has some great ideas and a great atmosphere, don't get me wrong, but it does seem as if Enid was only writing the story and not really enjoying it, as she did with the first four. To me it's not exactly bad, but standard, while the previous ones are all so well done.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

walter raleigh wrote:You definitely are due for a re-read old chap as "Moon Castle" is from the 'Secret' series not the ''R' Mysteries'. :wink:
For some reason, I always get these series muddled up. :oops:
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Considering that all the Barney mysteries begin with R'... :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

If The Rubadub Mystery had been the last book in the series I'm sure that many more people would be saying it's the best series she ever wrote. Rat-A-Tat and Ragamuffin aren't bad books, they just don't work with Barney not being a travelling circus boy any longer.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Although I agree that Rub-a-Dub makes a fitting ending for the series there is also the feeling that it would be nice to know how Barney settled into a different life once reunited with his long sought after father. I wonder how many letters Enid received begging to know how he was getting on.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Good point Daisy. Perhaps sometimes it is better not to know how things turn out? We know now that Barney simply became a rather boring normal boy.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The traditional 'Happy Ending' of Rubadub Mystery worked really well. Having decided to continue, I think it would have been better if Enid had moved on from this - made Barney's dad someone who Barney felt restricted by, maybe, or had Barney getting restless feet - the dream of finding his father shattered by actually doing so. This would have worked better - but doesnt at all fit in with Enid's ethos or that of her readers. It does prove, however, that Happily Ever After really IS the end of the story - anything else can only ever be an anti-climax.

The main reason why the two follow-up stories don't work is that there is no 'conflict' any more. The conflict Barney experienced in his various jobs, the conflict of Barney being a different social class, etc. In every series Enid wrote, their was conflict - Mr Goon, Susie in The Secret Seven, Uncle Quentin etc, but suddenly there's no real conflict in the last two Barney books.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Agreed. But Rat-A-Tat still have a great plot. Ragamuffin is not that bad in term of plot.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Lucky Star wrote: We know now that Barney simply became a rather boring normal boy.
That's why the last two books don't work so well. Barney has become another Roger.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote:- made Barney's dad someone who Barney felt restricted by, maybe, or had Barney getting restless feet - the dream of finding his father shattered by actually doing so.
Or his father could have turned out to be a circus person allowing Barney to continue in much the same vein as he had fro the first four books. Enid made a mistake in portraying Mr Martin as a normal, ordinary middle class professional. Inevitably this meant that his son had to knuckle down and fit in.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too would have preferred Mr. Martin to be leading a more colourful, unconventional existence. Probably not in the circus though, because if he'd been attracted to circus life he would surely have tracked Tessie down and joined her world after her unsuccessful attempt to fit into his world. I'd like to have seen Mr. Martin travelling around as a member of a touring troupe of actors, because Enid Blyton mentions that he has acted in Shakespearean plays.

Having said all that, he's a very likeable character as he's so friendly and relaxed - a real contrast to Mr. Lynton.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member