The Rubadub Mystery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Re: The Rubadub Mystery

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I did buy a new dust jacket for the Rubadub Mystery as mine was falling apart. Unfortunately the back of the dust jacket does not have the picture on it, so I have just put both dust jackets on, to protect this absolutely wonderful book. I also get a lump in my throat and a few tears when I read the ending. Such a wonderful book. I must have read it about 10 times too. Definitely the EB book I have read the most often.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

pete9012S wrote:Just finished my re-read. Outstanding. Easily 9/10, maybe more.

Are the songs Snubby played at the show real? One was called 'If I could only give you the moon'. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Think the other song was 'What time is it when it's 12 o'clock'..again, can't seem to find it.
Does this seem likely, for the first song, Pete?

https://www.google.com/search?q=if+i+co ... e&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I agree that the first four R Mysteries are better than the final two. And that the series hits its zenith with Rubadub.
However, I really don't mind the final two books. They're not quite as good as the first four, but they're very readable in a way that I don't find with the final book in other series, such as Famous Five (last 2 books), Find-Outers, Secret Seven, Adventure series.
I have to be in the mood for Rat-a-Tat mystery, and it's probably more the level of a Secret Seven book, but it's still a decent enough read. And I'm quite fond of The Ragamuffin Mystery. I see it as a similar level to the first book. My favourites are definitely the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the series.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The last two books are very good but Barney has changed completely. He's no longer the lonely, neglected, homeless boy searching for a lost father, living from day to day with only a pet monkey as a companion.
He becomes, dare I say, rather a bland character.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, I enjoy the last two books but I agree that Barney's changed character made him less interesting. It's natural he'd change to a point, and that he'd be more confident in himself and his position. And that's discussed early in Rat-a-Tat, and the others are pleased that he hadn't changed and was still the same Barney. But he does seem to become pompous and preachy to Snubby at times in those last two books - sounding a bit like Julian often does, or Fatty with Ern.
He's still likeable, but I preferred the earlier Barney, who was amused by Snubby, to the later one who speaks to him more like Diana always did.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The earlier Barney was unique. The Barney of the last two books is just another middle class child like most of the others that Blyton wrote. But I also have a soft spot for the two final books though Rat-a-Tat is one that I can only read in winter.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member