What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Hayleymoomin

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Hayleymoomin »

Five go to smugglers top..have just read the whole adventure series and then the secret island :-)
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Great books - especially in the original hardbacks with the wonderful illustrations.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm in total agreement, Francis. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Me too. It is the illustrations that make the books really come to life which is why I think they require a lot of consideration. When their right they complement Enid's marvellously evocative descriptions to perfection, but if their wrong they undo the image that's built up in your mind from the words and make it very difficult to form another. One of the many reasons I dislike reprint illustrations, especially the modern ones, so much - to me they create such a bad impression of the books :( .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Modern illustrations are often quite disappointing regardless of author. They are either cartoony and silly or they just aren't there at all! I wish the Harry Potter books had been illustrated, for example.

P.S. you need to give your tablet a good talking to IceMaiden - I see it's still substituting their for they're! :shock:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Re-Reading the Mystery series, although had to miss out Disappearing Cat - nearly dropped Burnt Cottage, but it's useful to see how the six first met up. Also to witness Goon's behaviour to the children before they became his number one antagonists. Also of note was how Jenks performed the dénouement instead of Fatty.

As for Cat, I just couldn't face all of the Tupping/Goon/Luke plot. Maybe next time!

I'm on Secret Room, now.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I feel the same about 'Disappearing Cat' - not one of my favourites. I do enjoy seeing how everything started in Burnt Cottage though! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Re-Reading the Mystery series, although had to miss out Disappearing Cat - nearly dropped Burnt Cottage, but it's useful to see how the six first met up.
I'm on Secret Room, now.
I feel the same about 'Disappearing Cat' - not one of my favourites. I do enjoy seeing how everything started in Burnt Cottage though! :-)
Same here, the first in the series never was one of my favorites. "Disappearing Cat" is too slow for me, but I sure did enjoy reading "Secret Room" several times.
Hold on, there are some more good FFO & Dog volumes coming, Nigel! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Maybe I'm the only one who absolutely loves Disappearing Cat, then! :wink: I didn't read it until I was an adult — and not only was the culprit pretty obvious from the start, but I guessed correctly how the theft was committed well before the Find-Outers figured it out — but I just loved the story anyway. Maybe because Siamese cats are my favourite? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Don't worry, Courtenay, "Disappearing Cat" is a favorite of most forumites. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Greyhound Mum

Post by Greyhound Mum »

I haven't got an Enid Blyton book on the go as it were at the minute, I really must pick one up. I think it's 5 go off in a caravan I've got upstairs, maybe a good bit of bedtime reading for me tonight!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote: Same here, the first in the series never was one of my favorites.
Now I come to think of it, I don't really like most of the first books in any of the series Enid wrote. I don't mind Burnt Cottage, but I'm not a massive fan of Five On A Treasure Island, or The Island of Adventure, or The Rockingdown Mystery or The Secret Seven!

Mind you, that's not to say I don't enjoy them, but none are really my favourites.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I am very fond of The Island of Adventure, Five on a Treasure Island, TMOT Burnt Cottage and The Secret Seven. To my mind these all provide exciting and stellar introductions to their respective series'. Most of those series' of course go on to offer better entries but those first ones always feel fresh and welcoming to me, heralding a long chain of great reading in the company of some of my favourite characters.

The Rockingdown Mystery is a bit of a damp squib compared to it's successors. It's still good but really should have been better. Somehow it's elements don't quite gel as they should. The first Malory Towers is another I remember fondly and The Secret Island is an amazing first entry although like others I usually approach that one as though it were a stand alone novel.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:and The Secret Island is an amazing first entry although like others I usually approach that one as though it were a stand alone novel.
Yes - I agree. That's why I didn't include the Secret Series. If we take 'Spiggy Holes' as being 'book 1' then I also think this is the weakest book in the series! I always class Secret Island as a stand-alone novel because its so different to those that followed it. I read it the other week and thoroughly enjoyed every page!

Talking of 'not liking' or 'not being keen on' Enid Blyton books is for me a bit pointless, however - as I love them all - even books like Banshee Towers and The Hidey Hole are more enjoyable than books by other authors!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:I am very fond of The Island of Adventure, Five on a Treasure Island, TMOT Burnt Cottage and The Secret Seven. To my mind these all provide exciting and stellar introductions to their respective series'. Most of those series' of course go on to offer better entries but those first ones always feel fresh and welcoming to me, heralding a long chain of great reading in the company of some of my favourite characters.

The Rockingdown Mystery is a bit of a damp squib compared to it's successors. It's still good but really should have been better. Somehow it's elements don't quite gel as they should.
Totally agree with these (all except The Secret Seven, which I haven't read). I've always felt the Famous Five, Five Find-Outers and the Adventure series all have good, strong first stories that introduce the characters well with exciting plots and leave you wanting to read more about these children and their ongoing adventures. They may or may not be "the best" books in the series according to one's tastes, but they're all extremely good. Whereas Rockingdown is such a "damp squib" indeed that the two times I've read it (once when I was still at school and once a couple of years or so ago), I've just had no desire to read the rest of the series. I KNOW the next three books at least are absolutely brilliant according to just about everyone who's read them, but I still haven't managed to muster any great interest in them so far... :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)