What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Rob Houghton »

I completely and utterly identified with Jimmy Brown. My dad was an electrician, but also quite a skilled carpenter - so I could easily imagine myself as Jimmy. Also, my best friend was a girl called Dawn who lived next door - and she was incredibly like Lotta - cheeky, headstrong, very independent, a bit of a tomboy.

Our school was on a main road, which I could easily imagine the circus going along as we came out of school, and the 'playing fields' were just down from there, so I always imagined that's where the circus was camping. I used to imagine looking out of my window and seeing Jumbo go tearing past in the thunderstorm, and I could easily imagine us going off with the circus and me becoming a performer. In fact, I often used to try balancing and walking on a big beach ball - though I fell off more than I stayed on! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

And did you ever suggest the idea to your father, I wonder?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think I mentioned it to my mom, but she wasn't keen, lol! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hooray! Found 'Those Dreadful Children', again in a charity shop. I haven't read this one for years, but loved it when I did and have been meaning to get it for ages. I've just finished it and enjoyed it just as much as before. It's quite a nice paperback by Bounty Books and I don't THINK it's been edited. It fits in so well with The House at the Corner and The Six Bad Boys which I have in hb (no jackets) and The Put'em Rights (another favourite).
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well done Pauline!
Glad you enjoyed it. My Dad bought me this paperback version when I was a young lad in the 1970's

1972 Armada, illustrations by Grace Lodge, cover uncredited

The paperback version means more to me than the hardback as my Dad bought it for me. So although the harback may be better I prefer the paperback!
The illustrations are still by Grace Lodge.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I feel really old, compared to you, Pete! ;-) I mainly had older paperback versions. My copy was this one -

The reason most of my paperbacks were older was that they initially belonged to my sister. ;-) Like you, I have special affection for my paperbacks, as they were the ones I had as a child, or which were bought for me by my parents. Although I have the hardback versions with dust wrappers now, I still have all my original paperbacks and Dean books - often very well-read!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've got the same paperback edition of Those Dreadful Children as you, Pete. I've had it since I was a child and it's still the only copy I own. I know the Lutterworth hardback has an absolutely wonderful dustwrapper by Grace Lodge as well as a lovely frontispiece, but even if I had that edition I'd still keep my paperback. Just looking at the cover brings back memories of happy, carefree days and childhood friendships.
Stephen wrote:I'm now going to read Mr Galliano's Circus. My mum bought me a second hand copy (I think from the local chip shop!) when I was about 8 or 9...
Wow - fish 'n' chips and a new (to you) Enid Blyton book? I'd have been over the moon with that combination as a youngster!
Stephen wrote:I remember being utterly enthralled at the idea of an everyday boy and his parents going off with a circus like this. But for some reason, I stopped reading after a few chapters and never got round to completing it. Until now!
I read the Galliano's Circus books repeatedly, envying Jimmy and Lotta. It sounded fun to belong to such a warm and vibrant community, live in a caravan, travel from place to place and learn to do amazing feats. I liked the idea of training dogs/monkeys or being an acrobat/trapeze artist!
Courtenay wrote:...the two sequels (Hurrah for the Circus! and Circus Days Again) are, at least in my opinion, even better!
I too think the series gets better and better as it goes along. Circus Days Again is particularly dramatic and emotional.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Pauline wrote:Hooray! Found 'Those Dreadful Children', again in a charity shop.... It's quite a nice paperback by Bounty Books and I don't THINK it's been edited.

Could this be the Bounty Books edition you bought Pauline? I'm sure it must be in the cave somewhere,as must this:

Published by Mammoth, 1991/1992?

The Cave:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... l+Children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I liked The Enchanted Wood, there was some very clever stuff in it but I found the huge coincidences quite annoying. It's your birthday? Oh look the Land of Birthdays will be arriving soon. Oh, Wizard, you need a hundred servants? We just happen to have a hundred red goblins... and so on.

Circus of Adventure is my favourite Adventure book, Stephen.

I had the same paperback Robert! I love Those Dreadful Children but it wasn't until I was an adult that I properly realised that both sets of children could legitimately be the titular children. I had always thought the title referred to the Taggertys.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Fiona1986 wrote:I liked The Enchanted Wood, there was some very clever stuff in it but I found the huge coincidences quite annoying. It's your birthday? Oh look the Land of Birthdays will be arriving soon. Oh, Wizard, you need a hundred servants? We just happen to have a hundred red goblins... and so on.
You mean you don't believe in magic, Fiona?? :wink: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:I liked The Enchanted Wood, there was some very clever stuff in it but I found the huge coincidences quite annoying. It's your birthday? Oh look the Land of Birthdays will be arriving soon. Oh, Wizard, you need a hundred servants? We just happen to have a hundred red goblins... and so on.

I had the same paperback Robert! I love Those Dreadful Children but it wasn't until I was an adult that I properly realised that both sets of children could legitimately be the titular children. I had always thought the title referred to the Taggertys.
I think, as children, we are much less likely to notice 'coincidences' and in fact, probably converseley, we would be likely to think it was quite clever! I'm sure I did as a child, anyway - needs 100 goblins - and 100 goblins need disposing of, etc! :-D As Courtenay says - Magic!

I also didn't realise that 'Those Dreadful Children' could be applied equally to both the Carltons and the Taggertys until I was an adult. Just like you, as a child I assumed 'those dreadful children' were the Taggerty children. Guess that proves just how snobbish most kids are, lol! I think its quite clever that, actually, Enid never judges, or even really explains who the 'dreadful' children are. Both sides refer to the others as 'those dreadful children' and Enid leaves it up to her reader to decide. Of course, the reality is that both sets of children are 'dreadful' in their various ways - but from a modern perspective I tend to think the Carltons come across as 'more dreadfuller' ;-) :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's the very Bounty Book of Those Dreadful Children, Pete! I rather like the cover myself, although there is something very special about the older ones. My copy looks unread, and as it was from a charity shop, I find that rather sad because it was probably given to some child who just didn't appreciate it...
Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Rob Houghton wrote:

I think, as children, we are much less likely to notice 'coincidences' and in fact, probably converseley, we would be likely to think it was quite clever! I'm sure I did as a child, anyway - needs 100 goblins - and 100 goblins need disposing of, etc! :-D As Courtenay says - Magic!

I also didn't realise that 'Those Dreadful Children' could be applied equally to both the Carltons and the Taggertys until I was an adult. Just like you, as a child I assumed 'those dreadful children' were the Taggerty children. Guess that proves just how snobbish most kids are, lol! I think its quite clever that, actually, Enid never judges, or even really explains who the 'dreadful' children are. Both sides refer to the others as 'those dreadful children' and Enid leaves it up to her reader to decide. Of course, the reality is that both sets of children are 'dreadful' in their various ways - but from a modern perspective I tend to think the Carltons come across as 'more dreadfuller' ;-) :lol:

It's so interesting to read the book again as an adult.As a child I remember being rather shocked by the lies that the Taggertys told, even though I liked them, especially Maureen. I do agree though, that from a modern perspective the Carltons come across as 'dreadfuller' and perhaps that's a bit sad and seems rather unfair, because they were good, kind and truthful children and I still prefer them to the Taggertys - at least in the early stages of the story.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

They both should have been in the Cave, Pete, but neither was! When I put the other Bounty books in from that series there was no image of Those Dreadful Children and like a few other Mammoth editions that was also missing, but both are there now!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... l+Children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've finished Mr Galliano's Circus and enjoyed it very much. I had assumed it was going to be a rather rose-tinted book about this idyllic way of life that most children could only dream of. But while that is a big theme, it isn't without its drama, incidents, and unsavoury characters. Jimmy comes across as this proto-Philip with his way with animals, and the headstrong, tomboyish Lotta is like a proto-George or even Ragamuffin Jo. As for Mr Galliano himself, he actually reminded me in some ways of Willy Wonka! Generous and well respected, and yet at the same time very intimidating and prone to bad tempers. The bit where Lotta is ready to disobey him and leave the camp to look for the runaway chimpanzee, and says "I don't care if he whips me" is actually quite disturbing.

I'm afraid I couldn't quite visualise a dog walking across a tight-rope on its hind legs though!

My next books is Three Cheers, Secret Seven. I generally found the Secret Seven to be okayish, but not great. It doesn't help that I never really cared for the characters. Peter in particular was an arrogant little tyke, lacking the charm and charisma of Fatty, and sense and maturity of Julian. Also, I found the titles to be strangely vague. Without looking at the cover, I wouldn't have known 'Three Cheers' was the one with the toy plane!