What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: What Enid Book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I second that, Julie. And it doesn't matter that you already know how things are going to turn out, the descriptions of, say a certain house up on a hill right in the middle of nowhere, or other places and scenes simply make the books a worthwile read. :D
BTW, before I started "Mystery Moor" I read "Trouble" as a bedtime story. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Clopper
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Clopper »

Five go to Billycock Hill. It was the very first FF i ever read in about 1960. It isn't exciting and the mystery is finally solved by a pig but it has an atmosphere which I love. Going off on your bikes,going through wonderful countryside, stopping in little villages for ginger beer ...... wonderful stuff to a lad living in a mining community

In a way its the weakest FF but in another way its the best. I have read it so many times that I could probably recite it word for word.
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

I'm reading "Five go adventuring again". Both, the English and the German version at the same time. I don't know why actually. Probably because I couldn't decide which one I want to read first. :roll:
But I can't read in bed because I always fall asleep no matter how thrilling the story is :oops:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Clopper wrote:Five go to Billycock Hill. It was the very first FF i ever read in about 1960. It isn't exciting and the mystery is finally solved by a pig .....
That must be the only title where the police get one over on the Five and solve the mystery! :roll:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:
Clopper wrote:Five go to Billycock Hill. It was the very first FF i ever read in about 1960. It isn't exciting and the mystery is finally solved by a pig .....
That must be the only title where the police get one over on the Five and solve the mystery! :roll:
I hope Zoe doesn't read this!! :lol: :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
I hope Zoe doesn't read this!! :lol: :lol:
Nah, she only reads Famous Five threads!
Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Why would that be troublesome? George/Zoe turned her childhood days hobby into a job so the Five cannot ever outrun the police any more. :wink: :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I have been trying to persuade my nearest and dearest of the injunction that to love me is to love my lurgy, but without much success. Mother has persuaded me to get a bottle of red medicine, and Mark is treating me like a piece of germ warfare. :cry:

No matter. I've spent the afternoon curled up with The Rilloby Fair Mystery. The openning chapters are amongst the most enjoyable of books I've read lately. Rather than getting rid of grown-ups, Snubby is winding them all up nicely, and it got me laughing out loud.

Better medicine than the stuff in that bottle... :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: I've spent the afternoon curled up with The Rilloby Fair Mystery.
I guess that's an improvement on 'curling up with Tony Summerfield', Viv! :wink:

You're right, though. Something I had forgotten, how wonderful as a child (and seemingly as an adult) to retire to bed, feeling under the weather, with a Blyton! I've recently read Rilloby Fair, what a cracking series.

Get Well Soon!
Society Member
Clopper
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Clopper »

Last night I finished Billycock Hill, never realising that it was such a controversial book.

I read in bed every night and Blyton is a natural choice. After the cares of the day its great to settle down with some chocolate and a Blyton. I was going to read " Secret Island " next but I have decided to dig Rilloby Fair out. Apart from being such an entertaining story it also fleshes out the characters and adds to the picture.
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I was going to read " Secret Island " next but I have decided to dig Rilloby Fair out. Apart from being such an entertaining story it also fleshes out the characters and adds to the picture.
A very good choice, Clopper. Just right for springtime reading. I enjoy reading in bed, too and for the same reasons.
You're right, though. Something I had forgotten, how wonderful as a child (and seemingly as an adult) to retire to bed, feeling under the weather, with a Blyton! I've recently read Rilloby Fair, what a cracking series.
So very well said, Nigel. I somehow doubt that you could get a perscription for a Blyton book for the Doc. :)
But it helped me and still does today.

@ Viv: Get well soon. Being ill can be a nuisance, especially to oneself and there are times when you cannot stand people caring for you in their kindest way. There is a sort of natural time for recovery and snuggling under the bedclothes with an EB book for company is one fairly straightforward signal to the outside world that you are taking that time-out.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Hayley
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five books/The secret of Moon Castle
Favourite character: All of them!

Post by Hayley »

Well after a long week I have decided that my Saturday night is going to consist of me snuggled up with a Blyton. Just have to deicide which one now, either The Island of Adventure, which I haven' read since I was a child, or an old favourite like The Boy Next Door hmmm desicions
Hayley
cramtheman
Favourite book/series: Five on a hike..famous five
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by cramtheman »

Just started a week of 12 hour nights at work and decided to bring a few Famous Five books with me to keep me company.I work in a remote signalbox in Lincolnshire and the last train passes me at 10.45 at night.I dont normally have another train till 5.50 in the morning so i have plenty of time to read.Ive just started Five go off to camp and im loving it all over again...this was in fact the first Famous Five book i ever read.Ive also brought Five go down to the sea,Mystery Moor and Five have a wonderful time..which i bought from Ginger Pop last year on my first visit to Corfe Castle...There is something very comforting about reading my Famous Five books while im all alone here at night..its a very remote signalbox and it gets quite spooky..especially when we get a fog off the River Humber..
Two trees,gloomy water,saucy Jane and Maggie knows.
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

cramtheman wrote:...and the last train passes me at 10.45 at night.I dont normally have another train till 5.50 in the morning...
cramtheman wrote:...and it gets quite spooky..especially when we get a fog off the River Humber...
Sounds like "Five go off to camp on Mystery Moor" to me. :wink: :)
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Nice to have you back, Cram! :)
I may be repeating myself, but your remote signalbox is one of the best places I can think of for reading an EB book.
Beats me reading out on my terrace in the mellow light of a Vapalux lamp hollow. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin