What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by sixret »

I haven't met him but I think Pete must be a funny man in person! His posts has always made me laugh, chuckle, giggle or :roll: but definitely have that sense of humour(sometimes ever so subtle) plus food for thought or made me thinking. He always uses difficult words(to me) in his sentences like "insouciance" that I need to check the meaning. :lol:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Sixret - I can assure you I am just a prize chump hiding behind the elegant facade of a dolt! :D

I'm up to Storm In The Night in the book - still Anne and George on their own without Julian & Dick.As usual in the UK after some glorious weather a heavy thunderstorm ensues:

Two illustrations of the same scene,with a slight change of text in the 1970's Maxey edition regarding currency:

The rain came closer, and soon large drops, the size of half-crowns, (ten-penny pieces) peppered the faces of the two sleeping girls....

There’s nothing for it but to get into the cottage, Anne. At least we’ll have a roof over our heads or rather, a ceiling, for the roof’s gone. Come on.’

Anne didn’t in the least want to shelter in the old cottage, but there was absolutely nothing else to do. The girls grabbed their rug and ran through the rain, George flashing her torch to guide them. Timmy ran too, barking.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Pete is well worth meeting in the flesh - both humorous and knowledgeable - hopefully one day we will have a meet-up again.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes Francis,that would be lovely.
I really enjoyed the time we spent with the 'gang' a few years back.It was great to meet Izzie too.Please send her my best regards. :D

I had a really nice chat with everyone who visited Old Thatch including Petermax,who we don't see enough of on the forums these days!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Thanks Pete - those were the days! Agree what you say about Petermax.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Izzie returns your compliments too!
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I don't get to read nearly as much Blyton these days as I would like to, because my parents disapprove of it and whenever they see me reading an EB book they kinda get that disappointed 'she needs to read more informative stuff' kinda look. (I'm the one who recognized the cowslips when we visited England in 2012, not them! :roll: )
It doesn't bother me to a large extent, because as it is I have so much to read that I can only manage about one EB per 5 other books, but my dad said he'd rather it be around 15 other books, (we don't count or have any system, this is just like a rough approximation) and I can't do that, cause this is like comfort food for me! :( Any suggestions?
You can call me Sunskriti!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Stick with EB Sunskriti - among other literature of course. There are a lot of good books in the world, but, speaking personally, EB serves as an escape to a more peaceful innocent time and it does us good to join in the adventures of the Famous Five or the Adventure Series four or the mystery-solving of the Find-Outers, knowing the end will be happy and successful. There is nothing like re-acquainting yourself with an old friend to make you feel better! You can learn from her books too, as has been spoken of on these forums from time to time - look at your knowledge of the cowslips!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'd say stick with your current dose of Blyton too, Sunskriti. Blytons are quick reads, slipping down like ice-cream, so it probably takes less time to read one of Enid's books than it does (in general, anyway) to read a book by another author. And as Daisy said, the stories are so positive and cheering that it does us good to read them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

My motto has always been 'read what YOU want to read'. I guess I was lucky as I always did that and never read anything I didn't enjoy (except at school and college, when I tended to skim-read books I wasn't into!) but its no use reading a book that doesn't grab you or take you into a different world. If non-EB books do grab you and take you 'out of yourself' then read them - but don't read other authors just for the sake of it! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I agree with Daisy, Anita and Rob. I was lucky because my parents had never interfered with my choice of reading.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I guess I'm lucky, too, that my parents are both big fans of Enid Blyton (especially Mum) and positively encouraged me and my sister to read as much Blyton as we wanted! :lol: I agree with everyone else so far, Sunskriti — just read what you want and don't worry what anyone thinks. You're obviously reading plenty of other books as well — I can imagine your parents being concerned if you read nothing else but Enid Blyton, but that's not the case, is it? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

My mother was a huge fan of Enid and encouraged me to read her books. I agree with others, read what you want to read. If it wasn't for Enid Blyton I don't think I would be the avid reader I am today.
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Courtenay wrote: You're obviously reading plenty of other books as well — I can imagine your parents being concerned if you read nothing else but Enid Blyton, but that's not the case, is it? :wink:
Nope, not at all! :D I read a lot of other stuff too.
Guys, the problem is not whether to read EB or not, of course I'm gonna read what I want, and EB is a big part of that! It's about convincing my parents that a few EB books among others wont kill you. It's not like they interfere with my reading or forbid me from reading anything, but I just really dislike that look. :roll: :x
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

All I can think of is to emphasise the positives - e.g. Enid Blyton books are quick to read, inspiring, give you an insight into British life of the mid-twentieth century, teach you about nature and expand your vocabulary. Also, her stories are incredibly varied and cover many genres - adventure, mystery, family, school, fantasy...

Another approach might be to read just a couple of chapters of Enid Blyton a day, with the rest of your reading time devoted to books by other authors. However, that may not be the best way to really get into a book and enjoy it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member