FF - Downhill after Hike?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Re: FF - Downhill after Hike?

Post by Laura »

I really don't like Mystery to Solve, and would almost put it as my least favourite FF. There are bits in it that are really good, like them being marooned on the island, and finding the statues, but I find that both it and Togethyer Again are set in a different universe from the other books in the series, and for that reason, I am not a big fan of either. For example, why are Julian, Dick and Anne now living near George? Anne's unusual assertiveness also strikes a note of discord with me - I suppose that she is simply growing up, but I find this change in her personality too startling.

Having said that, I feel that the series starts to go downhill after Plenty of Fun - both Secret Trail and Billycock Hill are weak, IMO, and I'm not a big fan of Fix either - mainly because the Five do not come out of the adventure looking particularly good, if you see what I mean. However, I do like Finniston Farm - mainly because of the twins and their Grandad - and Demon's Rocks - the idea of living in a lighthouse for a while has always appealed to me.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

nlgbbbblth wrote:I ranked my FF in order some time ago. Will dig out the list and post it later.
Well, you have inspire me to do the same so here goes;

1) Five On a Hike Together
2) Five Go Adventuring Again
3) Five Go Off To Camp
4) Five Go Off In a Caravan
5) Five Run Away Together
6) Five Go To Smugglers Top
7) Five On a Treasure Island
8 ) Five Get Into Trouble
9) Five On Kirrin Island Again
10) Five Fall Into Adventure
11) Five Go to Demons Rock
12) Five Go Down To The Sea
13) Five Get Into a Fix
14) Five Go to Billycockhill
15) Five on Finniston Farm
16) Five Go to Mystery Moor
17) Five Have a Mystery to Solve
18) Five Have a Wonderful Time
19) Five Have Plenty of Fun
20) Five on a Secret Trial
21) Five are Together Again

Perhaps if other members post their rankings over the coming weeks/couple of months I'll devise a score system and towards the end of the year post a members definitive ranking of the FF novels.
Society Member
nlgbbbblth
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs

Post by nlgbbbblth »

It makes for interesting reading Nick. Good idea about compiling a definitive list.

Even at this early stage I guess that Five Are Together Again will finish in the relegation zone (bottom three).
"Are you a child? Or are you a grown-up? It doesn't much matter, with this book"
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:
Perhaps if other members post their rankings over the coming weeks/couple of months I'll devise a score system and towards the end of the year post a members definitive ranking of the FF novels.
No takers?
Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

It sounds like a great idea Nick, but my problem is that I have not read all the books (I have not read Five are Together Again and Five on Finniston Farm). For the record, the three that I like least of those I've read are Five Go Adventuring Again, Five go to Billycock Hill and Five on a Treasure Island. It is more difficult to chose my favourites, but I think that I prefer Five Go To Smugglers Top, Five On a Hike Together, Five Run Away Together, Five Go Down To The Sea, Five Go to Mystery Moor and Five get into Trouble.

Cheers,
BOODI
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Although I've read all the Famous Five books (several times each) there are some titles I haven't read in ages, Nick, therefore I'd find it hard to put all 21 in order of preference. I'll definitely have a go at doing that next time I read the series, though! Fall into Adventure, Hike Together, Smuggler's Top, Run Away Together and Caravan would be among my favourites. Secret Trail, Go Down to the Sea, Mystery to Solve and Together Again would be among my least-liked.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I couldn't put them in order, not being a huge Five fan, and it being ages since I read most of them! But I don't like some of the earlier books :shock: and some of the later ones would be among my preferred choices, for what it is worth. I thought Finniston Farm was a really good story. Enjoy Demon's Rocks too. Really dislike Mystery to Solve, the last time I read it it bored me, and seemed to take forever to finish. I actually like the last Five - for no better reason than that George becomes a lead character again, and Julian is seen to be a little in the wrong :lol:
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hmm; I can tell you my least favourites and my favourites, but the middle ground changes like the wind! I certainly couldn't list them in 'hit parade' fashion!
Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Greetings everyone! :)

Nick has raised a very interesting question and I see there is a divergence of opinion about whether the series does actually decline. For a detailed analysis of each book in the series, it's worth visiting Keith Robinson's website: http://www.enidblyton.net/famous-five/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Keith doesn't pull any punches!

Reading the whole series in order as Nick apparently did is likely to try any fan's patience - and expectations. Blyton fans have the luxury of being able to pick and choose between her vast collection of books according to our particular fancy. Best to treat the Famous Five series like a rich chocolate cake - fantastic in small portions, not so pleasant devoured whole.

Also bear in mind that Uncle Quentin confiscated Kirrin Island for his experiments at the end of the sixth book, and the Five are "on safari" thereafter. Blyton comes up with a wonderful array of settings over the remainder of the series: for example, camping, a bike trip, a hike, another caravan trip to a castle, to Cornwall, to the moors, to caves and a butterfly farm, to the Welsh mountains, to a farm, to a lighthouse.

Certainly there are some poor stories as the series progresses - eg 15 Secret Trail, 12 Down to the Sea and 21 Together Again are generally regarded as weaker stories. But there are great stories too - a strong sequence in my opinion is 17 Fix, 18 Finniston Farm and 19 Demon's Rocks. 13 Mystery Moor is gripping, with the children lost on the fog-enshrouded moor. And 16 Billycock Hill is a rare venture by Blyton into the Biggles-dominated world of espionage.

So, yes, maybe some of the latter stories are not quite as brilliant as the earlier ones - but they certainly should not be generally dismissed as evidence of a series in decline.

PS A great book on the Famous Five - and one that fully captures the nuances of their different adventures - is Norman Wright's The Famous Five: Everything you ever wanted to know!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm really surprised that 'Go Down to the Sea' is often listed amongst people's least favourite Five books: it's one of my favourites! Thereby proving just how hard it would be to draw up a definitive list.

Like Nigel, my 'middle ground' fives would alter constantly. My least favourites at the moment would be 'Trail' (slow and unexciting, and hardly any adventure at all, just someone's old bag!!) 'Adventuring Again' (I like the secret passage plot but dislike the very obvious 'baddy teacher' plot), 'On Kirrin Island Again'(dislike the whole 'blowing up the island' plot: too much like the plot of a 'Marvel' comic!!) and 'Run away Together' (why would kidnappers bother to hide a suitcase of clothes on the old wreck?!) 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think most of the plots bear little resemblance to reality. One of most people's favourites, Smuggler's Top, is also pretty ridiculous. I know Barling was meant to be mad, but could he really get away with kidnapping Quentin? Even if he signed Barling's document, it would have no legal significance.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

booklover wrote: For a detailed analysis of each book in the series, it's worth visiting Keith Robinson's website: http://www.enidblyton.net/famous-five/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Keith doesn't pull any punches!
I've even written a review or two there, myself! However, seeing as Tony has spent thousands of hours scanning every FF illustration in his Cave of Books and Terry Gustafson has reviewed every title, we should make sure we explore this part of the cave fully before wandering off elsewhere! I would hate Tony to think, "Why do I bother?"
Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Hi Moonraker and everyone

Thank you for pointing out my faux pas in referring people away from this site. :oops: My sincerest apologies to Tony. Everything is set up so beautifully here on this site that sometimes one can take it all for granted.

This is THE Enid Blyton Society and The Cave of Books is THE place to spend time considering the merits of the Famous Five (or any other Blyton book for that matter).
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

booklover wrote:Greetings everyone! :)

PS A great book on the Famous Five - and one that fully captures the nuances of their different adventures - is Norman Wright's The Famous Five: Everything you ever wanted to know!
I agree. this is a brilliant book, and gives lots of information about characters, plots, settings and when they appeared etc. I also love the map of Kirrin and surrounding area, though I must admit I have imagined it somewhat differently to the artist! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

booklover wrote: Everything is set up so beautifully here on this site that sometimes one can take it all for granted.
That is so true, Booklover. The best things in life are often taken for granted, and are only missed when they disappear. It always amazes me that the answers to the questions asked on Keith's message board could all be answered by a little wander around on this site! Google still lists eb.net usually first, which I can understand as Keith's site is full of search-engine-friendly pointers. What I can't fathom out is how many obscure sites - people's blogs, for example - are listed way ahead of the Society website. I have just put Secret 7 into Google and Keith's site is first. Then comes Wikipedia (twice!), followed by loads of really obscure urls - I got to page 12 and no mention of the Society site. However, by putting in Secret Seven, Keith again is at the top (and second!), and we come in at 7th place.

I then put in Kirrin, this time Keith is in 3rd and 4th, with Wikipedia taking the top two places. No mention of us anywhere.

However, Uncle Quentin seems to have moved to the States, and is doing rather well; meanwhile Fanny has moved into furnishings and fragrances!
Society Member