Yellow Fairy Book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Yellow Fairy Book

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Would be interesting to know if it did. Let us know if your investigations unearth anything, Tony!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have unearthed something immediately, The Green Goblin Book has not apparently been altered at all when it changed into Feefo, Tuppeny and Jinks. but it has been abridged as the original had two extra chapters. I don't know if any other versions restored the two missing chapters, but if not it looks as if I will have to get back to my scanner! The original book had 12 chapters.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I have a copy of the 1951 Staples Feefo, Tupenny and Jinks with 10 chapters. However, I also have a 3-in-1 Red Fox paperback (dating from 2000 but it says it was first published in 1995 by Leopard Books, Random House) which contains The Yellow Fairy Book (updated version), The First Green Goblin Book and The Second Green Goblin Book. The First Green Goblin Book has 7 chapters, all of which are present in Feefo, Tuppeny and Jinks. The Second Green Goblin Book has 5 chapters. Three of those are to be found in Feefo, Tuppeny and Jinks but two of them - 'The Strange Land of Topsy-Turvy' and 'How the Great Enchanter was Captured' - are new (or perhaps in reality not new at all, if they are the two chapters which were temporarily removed!)

Edit: Strangely, the note in the front incorrectly gives the titles of the three books in the volume as The Yellow Fairy Book, Tales from Fairyland and More Tales from Fairyland, stating that all are illustrated by Gunvor Edwards. While The Yellow Fairy Book does have rather sketchy, insipid illustrations by Gunvor Edwards (who did indeed also illustrate the Red Fox Tales from Fairyland and More Tales from Fairyland), the two Green Goblin books have superior illustrations, detailed and quirky, which look to me as if they have been drawn by Paul Crompton.

Anita

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Those are indeed the two missing chapters, Anita, so obviously they got rediscovered! It is similar to Adventures of the Wishing-Chair where the missing chapters reappeared after being left out for over 50 years. No need for me to scan them now, I will just do the illustrations.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have the Collins 1967 edition, with the slightly changed title, "Tuppeny, Feefo and Jinks", sadly the missing chapters were not restored in this version, it has only 10 chapters, but on the back of the title page it does say first published as "The Green Goblin Book".

Kate.

Oh! go on Tony scan in the missing chapters, please?
Last edited by Kate Mary on 26 Jun 2009, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony Summerfield wrote:Those are indeed the two missing chapters, Anita, so obviously they got rediscovered!
That's good to know. I've just edited my previous post to point out an anomaly in the 3-in-1 Red Fox paperback edition.
Kate Mary wrote:Oh! go on Tony scan in the missing chapters, please?
Sorry, Kate Mary! Perhaps I shouldn't have jumped in so soon!

Anita

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have just spotted that the missing chapters from "The Green Goblin Book" have been added to the Cave. Thank you very much Tony.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Great seeing those scans in the Cave - thanks for adding them, Tony. Wow, I never even knew so much went around these books.

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

shadow wrote: 25 Jun 2009, 23:49 Thanks for the recomendation but I've got the Omnibus and have read this story to her already. (really wish they hadn't set up those short cuts on this site, I've found too many extra books to buy) The Yellow Fairy Book was to be the last Faraway Tree story before we moved on to the Wishing Chair. She's 6 and I'm currently reading Enid Blyton to her at bedtime.

We are reading the Yellow Fairy Book at the moment but it's been difficult getting past the Timmy Cat chapter. Every time Timmy cat talks with his mix of words and miaows she falls about laughing and we can't continue the story for a few minutes, and then sets off her brother laughing. Think this may be a ruse to extend bedtime though ...... :wink:
I've just been through my book collection and decided to read the yellow fairy book. I knew I'd posted a query about the book many years ago and found the quote above. I have no recollection of that happening, eeek, the memory's on its way out. :D
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy