The Adventure Series!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

I think my favourite Adventure book would have to be The Sea of Adventure.
I find it almost impossible to choose between them but this one just has the edge for me, I just adore the idea of going off to lonely bird islands, with mysterious enemies about, a secret deep lagoon, and a wild storm.
I spent so many cosy evenings as a child, reading my tatty old red-cloth-bound copy, and still read it all the time even now! In fact I am going to read it tonight, as the weather is so frightful outside and it's cosy indoors! :)
I loved the excitment of someone watching in the hedge for Bill, then the thrill of going off on the 'trip' together on the midnight train, exploring the islands, then the adventure starting....

Next I think would have to be Island, followed closely by Mountain, Castle, Valley, River, Circus and Ship.

The locations are all amazing, and so beautifully described.

We have stunning biblical lands, the beautiful Greek islands, cosy English and Scottish countryside, lonely Welsh mountains, wild rugged coasts and islands, and an impassable abandoned valley - what more could you want! :)

I have read and re-read these books for over 20 years and to this day am still enthralled and enchanted by every one of them. :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Katharine

Re: The Adventure Series!

Post by Katharine »

I've had all the Adventure series books since childhood, but don't remember much about the Sea of Adventure, apart from Huffin and Puffin. I don't know if that's because I didn't enjoy the book very much, or maybe I was just about growing out of the books at that time, but either way, it doesn't seem to have left much of an impression on me.

Time to re-visit it I think.
Society Member
Carlotta King

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

Good idea :)
You might find that you're pleasantly surprised by it :)

I often find that when I re-read something a long time later, I discover or rediscover its' charm, perhaps aspects or things that I didn't see before or had forgotten.

Hope you enjoy reading it :)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Sea of Adventure was the very first book that I read by myself and so it remains very special to me as it heralded in a lifetime of reading pleasure. Carlotta King I agree with you that the Adventure series really does have it all. I think if I could take only one Enid Blytin series to a desert island then I would choose that one.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I dug out my copy, and have read about 4 chapters so far. It's one of those books that I'm remembering each bit as I read it, but can't remember what's to come, so it's nearly as good as reading it for the first time.

There's certainly something more 'grown up' about this series of books than most of Enid's other ones. I don't know if she ever intended to hint at a romance between Bill and Allie, but I can certainly read bits that strike me that way. For example, the fact that Bill intends to leave some personal belongings there, rather than his family. I'd always sort of assumed he hadn't got any close relations, but he does mention his family right at the start, so must have had some.
Society Member
Carlotta King

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes John I think that this series would be my series of choice too for a marooning or shipwrecking :D

I always wondered about Bill and Allie too, Katharine, whether Enid, when she first introduced him to us as this 'tall, strong-looking' stranger in Island, always had the idea of them falling in love and marrying, or if it was something that just happened as the series progressed.
They have obviously become very close by the time that we read Sea, I too was always struck by the way that Bill wanted to see her and give her some of his possessions.
I always imagined him as having not much family, perhaps old parents, but there is never any mention of anyone so I just pictured him as attached to his important work, but still very kind and warm, and ready for a family should the chance come along. :)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm probably reading far too much into the books, but I'm just wondering if Enid based the idea of Bill taking on someone else's family, and living happily ever after on her own home life with Kenneth at that time? The only difference with her situation of course was that Gillian and Imogen already had a father of their own.
Society Member
Carlotta King

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

I don't think it sounds like you are reading too much into it at all, it's very easy when you're writing to incorporate situations or characters into your stories that are personal to you. :)

It could take the form of a personality that you wish you had or a person that you wish you were, or perhaps a person that you know or even a person based on yourself. It's almost a kind-of escapism, you can be someone that you wish you were, by creating them in your story. :)

Same goes for situations, if you crave a happy home life and don't have one personally, you might write about a happy life as a way of experiencing it and including all the things you would want yourself. Or, in contrast you could be so happy at home that you want to write about it and share it.

It's definitely not reading too much into it to think that Enid was including personal likes/wants/feelings in her work. :)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Carlotta King wrote:Yes John I think that this series would be my series of choice too for a marooning or shipwrecking
Yes, I think I would agree with that as well, though I also rate several of the stand-alone books just as highly.

My personal favourite is Island, and I make no apology for the fact that my prejudice is partly based on nostalgia. It was the very first Blyton story that made an impact on me - I was six, and my older brother and sister were listening to it on tape. I was far too young for the story really, and vividly remember being both completely scared and completely gripped - particularly by the descriptions of the underground and beneath-sea-level passages, the night excursions, the terrifying Jo-Jo and mysterious Bill Smugs. I could hardly bear to listen, but it was unthinkable not to keep listening.

I listened again and again to those tapes growing up, and I've read both Island and all the other books in the series many times - though some not for a few years now. As a sober - well, usually :wink: - adult, I think that there is much to defend in my holding Island up as the most outstanding book of the series...

***Contains mild spoilers***...

Firstly, it contains one of her most terrifying villains - the iniquitous Jo-Jo, who was adept at hiding his ruthlessness behind a convincing pretence of stupidity. One of Jo-Jo's worst attributes in my opinion was his devilish patience - his ability to bide his time until he could act in the cruel way he desired without fear of revenge or discovery. Jo-Jo, quite seriously, was a force to be reckoned with - as Bill knew, but the people who shared a house with him did not, or at least not fully.

Secondly, the setting is for me one of Blyton's best, and as far as I can think, it's pretty unique. I know that it isn't homely or welcoming - far from it. Craggy Tops and the Isle of Gloom imply the very windsweptness, wildness, isolation and mystery with which they are indeed imbued. I confess that my heart still thrills to the very names - yes, and to all the underground passages which used to terrify me, and to the airless copper mines, and the risky undertaking of getting the boat right up to the Isle of Gloom!

Lastly, the characters fascinate me. This is the only series that I can think of in which the children remain pretty constant - they are fully developed from the first. I love the way they meet and take their future into their hands from the very first moment. They are all self-reliant characters...or perhaps brother-reliant, in Lucy-Ann's case! I must confess that Jack's action of disobedience – dishonesty really, in the way that he gets round his promise to Bill by taking Jo-Jo’s boat to go to the Isle of Gloom - rather tantalises me. As far as I can think (can anybody else think?), however bold he is in future books, he never acts in quite that way again.
Katharine wrote: It's one of those books that I'm remembering each bit as I read it, but can't remember what's to come, so it's nearly as good as reading it for the first time.
I can completely identify with that - I re-read Sea earlier this year, round about April time, for the first time in many years, and it kept coming back to me as I read. :D I would rate it as my third favourite Adventure book, after Island and Valley. Enjoy!!
Katharine wrote: I don't know if she ever intended to hint at a romance between Bill and Allie, but I can certainly read bits that strike me that way.
I agree. The relationship between Bill and Allie is pretty unique as far as Blyton goes - I personally feel that it's likely that she had it in mind from the very beginning.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

To me the books are the most mature story lines Enid Blyton wrote. Touching on the War in Valley of Adventure, the hint of Bill being killed in The Sea of Adventure, the way Bill and the children were left to die in The Island of Adventure are just some examples that spring to mind.

I know there are threats and some unpleasantness in other series, such as the occasional box around the ears, or being tied up for a day or two, but apart from threats to shoot Timmy, I don't feel the situations are ever quite as grim as in The Adventure series.

This makes me think it's possible that Enid intended there to be just a hint of romance between Bill and Allie. From what I can remember from the books, the conversations between the two adults are perhaps the most believable of all the books. For example, in the FF books, the children's parents usually just tell them they are off on business and have arranged for the children to go camping, or Aunt Fanny has a vague illness and in hospital. Whereas the scene where Allie bangs on the wall to let the girls know she has measles, is to me a very realistic action. The fact that she felt so ill and was asleep when the children left, again seems perfectly normal considering her illness.

That doesn't mean I'm criticising the other books, I think Enid was very clever in including just enough information for what the child audience needed. So for something like the Faraway Tree series, I don't think the children's father's job was ever mentioned, or if it was, it was probably something quite vague, and probably the intended audience wouldn't be particularly interested, or even understand if his career was gone into in great detail. However, by the time the children are old enough to read the Adventure series, they would be capable of taking in more details, and possibly would want to know more, not being content with a vague comment.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Spitfire wrote:
Carlotta King wrote:Yes John I think that this series would be my series of choice too for a marooning or shipwrecking
Yes, I think I would agree with that as well, though I also rate several of the stand-alone books just as highly.
Same here. When someone says the name "Enid Blyton" the picture that comes to my mind is of the Adventure children with Kiki on Jack's shoulder, the sea in the background and gulls circling above their heads. Around them I see glimpses of Enid's face, the Faraway Tree soaring into the clouds, Mister Meddle and Mr. Pink-Whistle strolling along village streets, the caravans at Galliano's Circus, Kirrin Island, Fatty and co. by the river at Peterswood, lights flashing at Moon Castle, Barney and Miranda in the old mansion at Rockingdown, Elizabeth Allen sitting on a swing brooding, Amelia Jane's mischievous face, the Secret Seven looking through a telescope, the Six Bad Boys in their cellar, Aunt Rose tottering in high heels to the hayfield... But it's the Adventure books that reign supreme for me.
Spitfire wrote:I must confess that Jack's action of disobedience – dishonesty really, in the way that he gets round his promise to Bill by taking Jo-Jo’s boat to go to the Isle of Gloom - rather tantalises me. As far as I can think (can anybody else think?), however bold he is in future books, he never acts in quite that way again.
I regard Jack as acting out of sheer desperation. This is a golden opportunity for him to live one of his dreams and it may never come again. He has only seen the sea once before, and now he's surrounded by the seabirds he loves - possibly even a great auk! He simply has to make the most of this chance, even if it means behaving deviously and recklessly. Of course, he has no idea that more travelling and adventures lie just round the corner!
Spitfire wrote:
Katharine wrote: I don't know if she ever intended to hint at a romance between Bill and Allie, but I can certainly read bits that strike me that way.
I agree. The relationship between Bill and Allie is pretty unique as far as Blyton goes - I personally feel that it's likely that she had it in mind from the very beginning.
I also think Enid Blyton had it in mind right from the start of the series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

What a lovely summary of the imagining of some well-loved characters, Anita! I enjoyed reading it! :)

I too always imagine the four children and Kiki on one of the wild islands in Sea!

I must admit I never thought of Jack's 'way round his promise' as being very dishonest or disobedient. I guess it was because he obviously had a deep sense of honesty and morals when it came to promising Bill, and not wanting to break his promise. Bill was their good friend and it was obviously unthinkable that they would betray him. That shows that the children are decent and have values.
Obviously it was dishonest to take Jo-Jo's boat but somehow it never seemed like a huge issue because Jo-Jo was the baddie and nasty to the children.

I too get the impression that Enid did perhaps intend on the romance between Bill and Allie. I have always wondered but have always leant towards the idea that she did.
Just the way she described them both makes me think that she had the idea from the beginning.
Bill was tall, strong, brave, always ready for a joke, and kind, and Allie was described as being pretty and merry and kind. They sound like a perfect couple! :)

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Katharine wrote:To me the books are the most mature story lines Enid Blyton wrote. Touching on the War in Valley of Adventure, the hint of Bill being killed in The Sea of Adventure, the way Bill and the children were left to die in The Island of Adventure are just some examples that spring to mind.

I know there are threats and some unpleasantness in other series, such as the occasional box around the ears, or being tied up for a day or two, but apart from threats to shoot Timmy, I don't feel the situations are ever quite as grim as in The Adventure series.
I agree. Guns do appear occasionally in the Famous Five as you say, and Tiger Dan and Lou in Caravan are genuinely scary men who really do (IMO) come across as being capable of carrying out any act of violence - but the way that the books are written makes all the difference. The Adventure series have a certain weight about them so that the gravity of being abandoned or marooned is deeply impressed upon the reader, and often these situations are drawn out and become quite complicated.
Carlotta King wrote: I must admit I never thought of Jack's 'way round his promise' as being very dishonest or disobedient. I guess it was because he obviously had a deep sense of honesty and morals when it came to promising Bill, and not wanting to break his promise. Bill was their good friend and it was obviously unthinkable that they would betray him. That shows that the children are decent and have values.
Obviously it was dishonest to take Jo-Jo's boat but somehow it never seemed like a huge issue because Jo-Jo was the baddie and nasty to the children.
It's not the disobedience, but the way that Jack decided that as long as he doesn't actually go in Bill's boat he isn't breaking his promise - which was technically true, but was also in blatant disregard of what he knew to be Bill's concern - "No rushing off to find a Great Auk on the Isle of Gloom..."

It's not really a big deal, but it's always stuck in my mind because Jack is better than that, and he knew better than that, deeply tempted as he was. It makes more sense to me in light of Anita's thoughts.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I regard Jack as acting out of sheer desperation. This is a golden opportunity for him to live one of his dreams and it may never come again. He has only seen the sea once before, and now he's surrounded by the seabirds he loves - possibly even a great auk! He simply has to make the most of this chance, even if it means behaving deviously and recklessly. Of course, he has no idea that more travelling and adventures lie just round the corner!
Yes... :) I've never been able to make up my mind about it before, but this is the most likely and realistic explanation I think - and it ties in with Jack's character throughout the rest of the series. He's always plucky, willing to take risks and gets deeply absorbed in his hobby - but despite his enthusiasms later in the books, he does not act with the same disregard for Bill's authority, or deliberately 'get round' a promise - but of course, he is more settled and has had more experiences, and probably more hope for the future.

I'm going to have to re-read the book now, and see if that explanation settles in my mind!!

:D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Carlotta King

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

Spitfire wrote: It's not the disobedience, but the way that Jack decided that as long as he doesn't actually go in Bill's boat he isn't breaking his promise - which was technically true, but was also in blatant disregard of what he knew to be Bill's concern - "No rushing off to find a Great Auk on the Isle of Gloom..."
Ah yes I see what you mean now, I didn't think of it like that.

****some spoilers here!****

Bill certainly didn't want the children putting themselves in danger by trying to negotiate the ring of rocks, but Jack, being such a determined character, decided to do it anyway.

I felt that it was a case of the classic childhood trait of the child not thinking that it was as dangerous as the adult insisted.
Bill could obviously see the dangers but Jack, who had spotted the gap, thought that it wasn't as bad as Bill was making out and that he thought he would be able to manage it.

Plus there was the fact that Bill knew that there were (or might be) dangerous men on the island so he had to try and convince the children not to go there, without actually explaining why, so he would have had to perhaps magnify the risks of the natural elements! :)

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

This thread has convinced me to read the series, is there any need to read them in order?
Society Member