The Adventure Series!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Re: The Adventure series!

Post by Kitty »

I do wish I'd had the sense/luck to read the Adventure books in order. I agree that Jo-Jo is a clear villain (though his disguised intelligence is a great twist), but there's a good possiblilty that Bill might just have been in league with him - if only you didn't know he was eventually going to hook up with Aunt Allie.

I'm suddenly imagining an alternative universe where Bill was the villain, and Jo-Jo the children's stepfather. Poor Jo-Jo, stuck with Kiki forever!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: The Adventure series --> Joe and Bill in cahoots?

Post by RainbowJude »

Kitty wrote:There's a good possiblilty that Bill might just have been in league with (Joe.)
I'm not sure about that. Bill is set up in strong opposition to Joe in the book. I can't imagine that, if they were working together, Bill wouldn't have alerted Joe certain facts, like the children's interest in sailing and the island, their trips to town and so on. This would have left Joe a lot less confused, let him in on the secret of the tunnel from the caves on the beach to the house and ensured that Joe made his boat inaccessible to the nosey children who were learning the skills of sailing under the guidance of his accomplice. I'd struggle to believe in a scenario where it seemed as if Joe and BIll were in cahoots, based on the information given to use in the book.

Later days
David
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Would depend on hierarchy and opportunity, I guess. I can imagine scenarios where Bill, in charge, might prefer not to let Jo-Jo in on all the news. A lot of children's criminals show quite mercenary (shocking :lol: ) motives in double crossing their own for a bigger share of the loot.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

Hmmm... I think that's a creative reading that goes far beyond what information is offered to us in the book. It doesn't work for me but...

Later days
David
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

RainbowJude wrote:Hmmm... I think that's a creative reading that goes far beyond what information is offered to us in the book. It doesn't work for me but...

Later days
David
That's the beauty of Blyton - we can come at her from so many different perspectives and angles, and take different things away. I wish some of her critics could see the debates that her fans have.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Kitty wrote:I wish some of her critics could see the debates that her fans have.
Wish they would! They'd simply be shocked all right!! :lol:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Kitty wrote:I wish some of her critics could see the debates that her fans have.
And to think that Enid didn't bother about criticism from the over twelves! There has been some great debate of late, but am I alone in sensing a little hostility? Opinions are all well and good, but they come in all shapes and sizes, and all though we may think we have the right one, others may disagree! :D
Society Member
Philip Mannering

You are right, Nigel (and welcome back! You hadn't logged since nearly a week, and you did indeed miss some discussions - or should I say pages - in the readathon.) Of course, I nearly used to start every post with, 'Well each to their own I suppose,' etc when I meant to disagree, however of late I have withdrawn that habit, as I fear it may be a trifle boring. :oops:
Last edited by Philip Mannering on 30 Dec 2008, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote:
And to think that Enid didn't bother about criticism from the over twelves! There has been some great debate of late, but am I alone in sensing a little hostility? Opinions are all well and good, but they come in all shapes and sizes, and all though we may think we have the right one, others may disagree! :D
I quite agree with you. I'm not ashamed to admit to changing many of my views on things Blyton since I joined this board, profitting from the deeper knowledge and opinions of other Blyton-lovers. As a case in point, Philip's readthrough of the Adventures has already altered my perceptions of what I thought I thought (if you know what I mean) about them, and this is by no means an isolated occurence.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:You are right, Nigel (and welcome back! You hadn't logged since nearly a week...
Phil, my dear wife forbade me from turning on the computer. "You can do without that over Christmas," she said.

Forever the obedient husband.
and you did indeed miss some discussions - or should I say pages - in the readathon.
Indeed I did. It has taken me several hours to catch up with all of the posts! Some great debate on the Adventure Series readathon as you say, Phil. You have no need to apologise for your "each to his own" comment, it shows that you are a considerate and well mannered person, Phil.
Last edited by Moonraker on 30 Dec 2008, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Perhaps I am being thick, but I can't find any debate. There are counter arguments to "no arguments". Which is a bit... well.. freaky. The counter arguments seem to be making up arguments. :| :?

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Ming wrote:Perhaps I am being thick, but I can't find any debate. There are counter arguments to "no arguments". Which is a bit... well.. freaky. The counter arguments seem to be making up arguments. :| :?
Ming, I trust you to know about debates, and I agree with you. I'd more call the posts "giving the opinions of their author," and some "arguments." Debate is totally different.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Ming wrote:Perhaps I am being thick, but I can't find any debate. There are counter arguments to "no arguments". Which is a bit... well.. freaky. The counter arguments seem to be making up arguments. :| :?
Ming, I trust you to know about debates, and I agree with you. I'd more call the posts "giving the opinions of their author," and some "arguments." Debate is totally different.
:lol: We're not all trained debaters who take part in clubs and competitions, Ming, so be gentle with us! :wink:

Like Kitty, I learn an enormous lot from our Forum discussions and have sometimes been forced to think again about various books and characters.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:

:lol: We're not all trained debaters who take part in clubs and competitions, Ming, so be gentle with us! :wink:
Yes, Ming is a champion debater! Of course she is right, it was more arguing than debating! And I agree Anita, I too have changed my opinions and views on books and characters after reading what others think. I guess I'm more tolerant than I thought I was - must be mellowing in my old age. :shock:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:And I agree Anita, I too have changed my opinions and views on books and characters after reading what others think. I guess I'm more tolerant than I thought I was - must be mellowing in my old age. :shock:
I am intrigued, Nigel, I'd like to have seen you when you were younger and weren't so tolerant! :lol:

Seriously, though, I too agree that after the forum discussions, opinions change. I personally didn't think much of The Family At Red-Roofs at first, later on, however, I felt it to be a great novel. And I wasn't too fond of The River of Adventure either, but now I love it!

Society Member