Which would you save?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
enidblytoncollector

Which would you save?

Post by enidblytoncollector »

All your treasured Blyton books are in a room, and it just caught fire.... you can only save one of them, which would it be? and Why?

Mine would be. The Adventures of the wishing chair. It was the first Blyton I read as a child, and for years i wanted "the wishing chair again", it was only when i had grown up that i finally found and read the second wishing chair book. Both of my jacketed copies are loved, but it would have to be the first one that i would save.
Topsy-Turvy

Six Cousins!

Post by Topsy-Turvy »

Hi EBC, welcome! What a good (and difficult!) question - only it defeats the purpose of collecting since it will all be in ashes! :)

Mine would be the Six Cousins (luckily I have a 2-in-1 edition). I love how it is a full-length story and a stand-alone story too - a lovely story of family values, friendship, animals and humour. And as I've said elsewhere in the forum the range of poetry is amazing.

You are absolutely sure I have no time to pick up my whole collection of Five Find-Outers (and Dog) too whilst I'm at it? :(
TT
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

What a terrible thought!!! :cry:

I would have to say my first edition of Five Go to Demons Rocks, because I'm pretty sure given enough time (and money!) I'd be able to replace the rest. Just not so sure if I could easily get another first edition of that particular title. Thankfully they're insured!

But I think I'd likely brave the flames (with my husband screaming at me to leave them and get out) and shove them all in a bag!

Heather.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Which Would You Save?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A devastating thought :shock: , but I'd grab The Big Enid Blyton Book (Hamlyn, 1961 edition) because it contains extracts from so many of Blyton's works. That way, I could cope with the trauma of losing all my books by sailing away to the Secret Island, sucking humbugs with the Secret Seven, going for a ramble with Uncle Nat, laughing at the antics of Snubby and Loony or puzzling over a mystery with Fatty and co.

Topsy-Turvy, the Six Cousins books are a good choice because you would feel that you were not alone - Cyril, Melisande and Roderick have just lost their house and most of their possessions to a fire (though Cyril did manage to rescue some of his books!)

Anita
Kirrin

hi!

Post by Kirrin »

I would save all mu famous five tv tie ins as it took me ages to collect them all
lots of charity shop hunting!
Topsy-Turvy

Re: Which Would You Save?

Post by Topsy-Turvy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Topsy-Turvy, the Six Cousins books are a good choice because you would feel that you were not alone - Cyril, Melisande and Roderick have just lost their house and most of their possessions to a fire (though Cyril did manage to rescue some of his books!)
Tee hee, well spotted Anita :) I'm also surprised Melisande didn't go up in flames with all that perfume!

HeatherS I spot signs of The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage....

Awww come on Kirrin, you have to narrow it down to ONE like the rest of us! Which one will it be?
TT
enidblytoncollector

some good choices :D must admit that the famous five is a series ive yet to read, i think i read a few as a young child but certainly cant remember them, i'm waiting untill my daughter is a little older and then im hoping we can read them together.
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D No suprise to any regular visitors to the forum but it would have to be my copy of The Secret Island!
It might be a very battered (well-loved :wink: ) paperback but no other version of the story I now own holds quite the same memories for me! And it is definatly my favourite story!

But even so what a dreadful thought I would be absolutly devastated if this ever happened and I lost all my books (even if I got to save 1)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ebc - you'll have to start getting hold of the Famous Five books ready for some shared reading! :lol:
Only 1 problem they're so good that if you start buying them now you might not manage to wait til your daughter is old enough to read them.

Ooooh to be back in the position of knowing there were 21 never yet read Famous Five books waiting, you are so lucky! :D
enidblytoncollector

Hi raci, i do have a few of the FF's in my collection, but im not tempted to read them...why? because i want to read them in order so i wont buy a copy of treasure island untill last :lol: well thats my logic anyway lol

read, 'The mystery that never was' tonight, took me a whole 1 and a half hours (while in the bath!!!! yes i removed its dj lol), one of the weaker adventure/mystery books ive read but still a lot of fun :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. Mystery That Never Was certainly WOULDNT be the book I'd save!!

I think, a bit like Anita, I'd cheat, and take my fairly recent copy of 'Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury'(1999), for the same reasons - there are bits of all my favourite stories inside!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Topsy-Turvy

Post by Topsy-Turvy »

EBC, when you start collecting Famous Fives, please please please get the old copies 1960/70s. It annoys (me and some others) when Julian has 10 pounds to give out to buy food and you think "hang on, wasn't a pound an enormous sum of money those days?", besides clothing changes etc.

Speaking of baths and books I feel like doing the same now!

Raci, aww I'd love to save my secret island but I'd like to get at my collection of FFOAD first! That was hard to come by. By the way does this book make anyone else ravenously hungry?
TT
enidblytoncollector

hi topsy, thx for the advice, ill make sure i stick to getting the 40's and 50's editions, then if Julian has 10 pounds it means he has robbed a bank lol
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

wow raci! youve never read any not even the short storys by red fox? get reading them but beware youll be hooked!
oldbookfan

Post by oldbookfan »

Hi ebc - have i seen you on ebay?

Anyway this question required some soul searching. As much as I would love to grab my Secret Sevens as they are taking me an absolute AGE to collect, no, I do not think it would be them.

Certainly I could not hold the Famous Five's, what with the prequels and sequels, the short stories and the video/s.

So, I would have to go for the 2 plays I have: Noddy in Toyland and The Famous Five stage play. For some reason the fact that Enid dabbled in the arts i.e. Poetry, Music and Plays, fascinates me much more than her books. And also because there is so few of them. And they are difficult to find. So yes, it would be the plays!

Post by Guest »

Hi, yep you will have seen me on ebay with the same user name, in fact i think i may even have bid against you in the past :lol: