The Lenoir Family in Smuggler's Top

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

The Lenoir Family in Smuggler's Top

Post by manzanita »

I was just reading Nick's post on the Kirrin surname riddle and it reminded me of a statement in Smuggler's Top when the Five meet Sooty and his step sister. I forget her name - it's been years since I've actually read it.

In the edition I had, there was a statement when they meet and Sooty describes his parents as being step parents, someone says "you can't have a step mother and a step father", if my memory is serving me right.

Can you really not have two step parents legally - seems possible to me under tragic circumstances or were the Five just expressing their disbelief at the bad luck to have two parents deceased?

Could just be my memory playing tricks as it has been a while since I have read the book!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: The Lenoir Family in Smuggler's Top

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Wasn't Mr Lenior, Sooty's stepfather? But his mother was his true mother.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Re: The Lenoir Family in Smuggler's Top

Post by Philip Mannering »

Yes, Sooty's mother was his true mother, not a step one. However Sooty's father was certainly a step-father, although being Marybelle's real father. And that comment was said by Sooty only, I think. Yes, all greatly confusing. :lol:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery