Reading books to match the weather

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Reading books to match the weather

Post by booklover »

Greetings everyone! :D

Sorry to hear about the most appalling weather in the UK at the moment.
In Australia, it's quite the opposite, with the most oppressive heat throughout January and continuing into February.

Anyway, the focus on the weather got me thinking: do you read certain books to suit the weather conditions? For example, you read Five Go Off in a Caravan in the summer.

Here are some great books that I think everyone should curl up with in front of a fire during Britain's current winter chill:

Five Get Into a Fix
Five Go to Smuggler's Top
The Rat-a-Tat Mystery
The Mountain of Adventure
The Enchanted Wood
Chimney Corner Stories

There are no doubt many others.

And if you want to think about warmer times, then how about The River of Adventure, The Ship of Adventure, and Five on Finniston Farm, just to name a few.
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Re: Reading books to match the weather

Post by Snubby »

Interesting topic, Booklover!

Yes, I did read certain books in a specific weather. When I was young, I had one tradition I used to follow, i.e. on the hottest day of my summer holiday, I would put my legs into a bucket of water, and sit there reading The Secret Mountain.8) With Thailand's summer heat and Blyton's writing, I could half 'feel' an African desert around my body! (In fact, my tradition for summer school breaks was to bring out my Blyton collection and reread the whole set. But The Secret Mountain was the special one for the hottest day!)

As for winter, I loved to read The Rat-a-Tat Mystery and Five Get Into a Fix and wonder how snow was like and how fun it would be playing those winter games.

Another book that gives me a feeling of weather is The Ring O' Bells Mystery. We don't have a spring season in Thailand but I always related it to our rainy season that follows the horrid summer. So, any day it's raining outside, I sang Diana's poem: 'Oh Maytime, fold thy fleeting wing, And let it be forever spring!'

For now, there's no season in Singapore, neither do I have anymore school break. However, those days are still clear in my memory!
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Snubby wrote:For now, there's no season in Singapore...
That surprises me! 'No' season???? Is it cold or is it hot? :? :? :?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Mystery of the Strange Bundle has become a favourite winter re-read for me over the years. And I can't possibly read it until I've baked some macaroons and got in a supply of peppermint bull's-eyes and drinking chocolate!

I like to read The Sea of Adventure in May. I remember reading it for about the third time as a child and feeling quite excited when Jack said, "Do you know, it's May the fifth already!" because the date really was May 5th.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I particularly liked to read 'Secret Seven Fireworks' and 'Good Work Secret Seven' around about November 5th, which is when they're set, and I liked reading 'The Mystery of the Missing Necklace' when it was hot and sunny and 'Rat-a-tat Mystery' when it's snowing. I'm not really a fan of reading a book set in the winter when its the summer, but for some reason i don't mind reading the ones set in Summer in the winter! :shock:

Favourite winter stories are Rat-a-tat, The Secret Seven, Five Get into a Fix and Mystery of the Secret Room 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Now isn't this strange! I am the opposite, as I like to read about hot summer days when it's cold and miserable outside, and in a hot summer I will happily relish the snow scenes in "The Rat-a-Tat Mystery" and other winter- based books, just to cool me down!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The surrounding snow covered hills at the moment are reminding me of The Rat A Tat
Mystery.

My preferences are like those of Daisy, I love to read the summer books when its cold and miserable outside as they always cheer me up and seem to bring summer much closer.

Missing Necklace and Invisible Thief is a favourite winter read.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

No doubt but that reading a book which is set in the type of weather conditions one is currently experiencing does add a certain layer of empathy with the predicaments of the characters. The Rat-a-Tat Mystery is a great one for the snow and also Five Get into a Fix. In hot weather something like Five go off in a Caravan is good and Smuglers Top is a good one for dreary foggy days.
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Post by Snubby »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Snubby wrote:For now, there's no season in Singapore...
That surprises me! 'No' season???? Is it cold or is it hot? :? :? :?
Neither! Just rain always :lol: