Adventure series Readathon

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Are you in agreement of having an Adventure series readathon?

Poll ended at 09 Nov 2008, 18:16

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 13

Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Adventure series Readathon

Post by Barnard »

Does anyone know in which book Enid used the word Goonalillypondicherrytapularkawoonatee? That spelling might not be quite correct.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

THE CIRCUS OF ADVENTURE
Chapter 24
MORNING COMES!

We’re all dressed in the English way—we’d soon be noticed.’
‘Yes. I hadn’t thought of that,’ said Jack. ‘I’m too English, as well. Pedro—I’ve got some money saved up that I made out of Kiki’s performances—could you buy some Hessian clothes for us early today?’
‘Ma will fix you all up,’ said Pedro. ‘She’s a wonder with her needle! She’ll get some cloth from old Lucia, the woman who’s in charge of the circus clothes. And we’ll borrow some grease-paint from Toni and give you all dark Tauri-Hessian faces! But don’t go speaking English!’

‘No, we won’t. We’ll talk a wonderful gibberish of our own!’ said Philip, with a laugh. ‘We’ll come from Jabberwocky, and talk the Jabberwock language! It goes like this—Goonalillypondicherrytapularkawoonatee!’
Everyone laughed. ‘Good!’ said Pedro. ‘I’ll tell any searchers that you are Jabberwockians, and then you can talk like that if they ask you anything. By the way, where is Jabberwocky?’

Kiki suddenly launched with delight into the Jabberwockian language. They all listened to her and roared. ‘You’re a very fine specimen of a Jabberwockian parrot!’ said Jack, fondling her. ‘Go to the top of the class!’
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I that the longest word in the world ?
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I have just read The Sea Of Adventure for the first time in about 20 years. I think it is as good as The Valley Of Adventure.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Barnard wrote:I have just read The Sea Of Adventure for the first time in about 20 years. I think it is as good as The Valley Of Adventure.
Almost as good. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think it's better (Sea, that is). :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

Sea is the one I really felt they were in serious danger.
The others they are, but kind of more collateral damage, whereas with sea you know if they're caught they'll be killed in cold blood.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's also the one where it really starts to be obvious that Bill is becoming part of their family — there's the bit where we're told straight out that he's the most fond of Lucy-Ann and is very protective of her, the scene where he learns they set out to rescue him instead of trying to get themselves to safety, and the rather telling little snippet where the start when Aunt Allie has received a mysterious phone call that she's certain is from Bill because "I'd know his voice anywhere." When I first read this book, I had already hit the spoiler for what was going to happen in two books' time, thanks to various discussions here, but it was heartwarming to see that Enid does quietly foreshadow it a fair bit, so it doesn't come out of nowhere! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The villains in Sea were certainly the most ruthless. But JoJo in Island didn't show any compassion when he left the boys and Bill at the bottom of the shaft with the sea rushing in.
For me, Valley was the best adventure but the risks to the children were mostly confined to being trapped in the valley.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The villains are most ruthless in Island and Sea for sure. I always feel more of a sense of danger in Island because JoJo actually carries out his threat to kill them, sheer good fortune that they escape alive. In Sea there is the implication that they will be killed if caught but since none of the children are actually caught the threat remains theoretical.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Debbie wrote:Sea is the one I really felt they were in serious danger.
The others they are, but kind of more collateral damage, whereas with sea you know if they're caught they'll be killed in cold blood.
What if the plane would have left without Philip sneaking on board? The kids would have been caught in the valley. I found the situation very dangerous.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock