Text modifications in Egmont editions and elsewhere

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Dandy Dilemma

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Although this isn't strictly about Enid Blyton, it pertains to the discussion we've been having in this thread. I thought people might be interested in the following article from yesterday's Daily Mail, discussing a non-PC reprinting of a 1939 Dandy Annual. The readers' comments are worth reading. The vast majority agree with what many of us have been saying about updates:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Anita
Comerscroft

Post by Comerscroft »

One textual change in the Famous Five which I do agree with, is at the end of the book when George's father is praising the children. In the original, he says to George 'You're as good as a boy', and George thinks this is the nicest thing her father has ever said to her.

In the updated edition, this is changed to 'I'm really proud of you'.

Personally speaking as someone whose father wanted a second son and who desperately tried to win his approval by 'being a boy', I do feel that the original wording does cast girls in a second-best light because it is clear that Quentin did want a boy and that his girl was only 'as good as' but couldn't be the real thing.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Comerscroft wrote: it is clear that Quentin did want a boy and that his girl was only 'as good as' but couldn't be the real thing.

I can't really see this. I am certain Quentin said this, knowing how George wanted to be a boy, and do the things that only boys were allowed to do in this period, in order to give her the highest praise imaginable.

Have we any other pointers in the 21 novels that show that Quentin might've wanted a son? If so (or not, as the case may be) I wonder why Quentin & Fanny didn't have another child?

My own opinion is that once there was a baby screaming at all hours of the day and night, Quentin firmly said, "Enough! There will be no more children in this family!"
Society Member
Spaceflower

Post by Spaceflower »

Very long and interesting thread. I will contribute with what has happened in the new up-dated Swedish translations. In 2004, new up-dated versions of the Famous Five were published.

1) The language was modernized. Since the books are translated, noone can say that Blyton's language was tampered with. And nothing sounds as dated as old slang. This change is the only justifiable one imo.
2) The food was changed. Instead of pies and meat puddings, there were meatballs and spaghetti.
3) Names of English places have been translated. But today, Swedish children know much better English than in the fifties.
4) The parents are less authoritarian. "We don't want to stand by such values" the publisher's spokeswoman said.
5) Even if Anne is cooking, her brothers are doing the washing-up.
6) Since children could get the impression that gypsies were criminal, they were substituted by German tourists. So it is ok if children think the Germans are especially criminal?

The editor says: These books should not be nostalgy trips for grown-ups but adventure books for children.

I agree with Eva Norlinder from the Swedish Children's Books Institute: If you have to do a lot of alterations, don't publish the books at all. Interferences which underestimate children are not justified. There is so little respect for children's literature, especially popular books.

The copyright exists for 70 years after the author's death. In Blyton's case until 2038. After that, it is free for all to change. But who owns the copyright now? Either the daughters of Blyton have transferred the copyright or they are ok with the alterations. Maybe it is an economic question. Money is more important than a dead writer's integrity. :(
Michelle is 'Chelle

Post by Michelle is 'Chelle »

But by 2038 will people still have the originals to put out - most people will only know the "fake Blytons"

the attitude of the people in the Daily Mail article about the Dandy comic is silly - you would think blacks that wanted to fight racism would encourage people to understand the past not fight to erase it
Michelle is 'Chelle

Post by Michelle is 'Chelle »

This page on the editing of the Dr Doolittle books is interesting - http://blog.plover.com/book/Dolittle.html
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Text modifications

Post by pete9012S »

I found this post made quite some time ago now quite interesting.
Spaceflower wrote:Very long and interesting thread. I will contribute with what has happened in the new up-dated Swedish translations. In 2004, new up-dated versions of the Famous Five were published.

1) The language was modernised. Since the books are translated, no one can say that Blyton's language was tampered with. And nothing sounds as dated as old slang. This change is the only justifiable one imo.
2) The food was changed. Instead of pies and meat puddings, there were meatballs and spaghetti.
3) Names of English places have been translated. But today, Swedish children know much better English than in the fifties.
4) The parents are less authoritarian. "We don't want to stand by such values" the publisher's spokeswoman said.
5) Even if Anne is cooking, her brothers are doing the washing-up.
6) Since children could get the impression that gypsies were criminal, they were substituted by German tourists. So it is ok if children think the Germans are especially criminal?

The editor says: These books should not be nostalgia trips for grown-ups but adventure books for children.

I agree with Eva Norlinder from the Swedish Children's Books Institute: If you have to do a lot of alterations, don't publish the books at all. Interference's which underestimate children are not justified. There is so little respect for children's literature, especially popular books.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Text modifications in Egmont editions

Post by Katharine »

I'm currently reading Christmas Stories printed in 2014.

If there have been any alterations, then they are hard to spot, except for one story where the children talk about Carol singers collecting for Age Concern. As Age Concern was only founded in 2009, it wouldn't have been in the original 1944 story!

Does anyone know who or what the original story has them collecting for?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

What's the title of the story, Katharine?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, it's called Christmas Carols and is part eight in the Hodder edition.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Katharine. Ah yes - the chapter called 'Christmas Carols' from The Christmas Book. In that chapter, some carol-singers come to the door and sing 'Good King Wenceslas' and 'The First Nowell'. Enid Blyton then writes:
After that there came a knock at the door. Mother opened it. "We're collecting for the poor old people in this parish, to give them food and coals for the winter," said a voice. "Please can you spare something?"

Mother gave them a shilling. The carol-singers were pleased. They thanked her and went off to the next house.

"That is another very, very old custom," said Daddy, "singing carols for alms - getting money for charity. Even as far back as Norman times carol-singers went out at Christmas-time, and asked for money."

"Well, now let us sing some, sitting round the blazing Yule log," said Susan, her face glowing in the heat.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Anita, that's the section.

While there's nothing wrong with promoting Age Concern, I can't see why the original text couldn't have been left, after all, there may well be local charities that provide for elderly people.

The shilling has been changed to 'some money', which I feel is better than trying to put a modern sum of money, which will date in time, but think it's a shame it has been changed at all. A young child being read to by parents could ask them what a shilling is, and have it explained to them, or an older independent reader could either ask a parent or Google it. :wink:

The other edit is "singing for alms" has been removed, so it now just says "singing carols for charity". I think that as the original text included an explanation of what 'alms' meant, then it should have been left in - a little bit of education for modern children.

I hate all alterations, but reluctantly accept some changes for PC reasons, but the above edits I think are really unnecessary and while they don't make a huge difference to the overall story, I feel that they should be included. Especially as the whole point of the stories is to discuss traditional Christmas customs.

Still, I suppose I shouldn't grumble too much, as the Hodder books have provided me with the opportunity to read many stories I doubt I'd have been able to access any other way.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Text modifications in Egmont editions and elsewhere

That's interesting, Katharine. As you say, the alterations are not major but some nuggets relating to history, language and the author's style of writing have nevertheless been lost.

Society Member
db105

Re:

Post by db105 »

Spaceflower wrote: 4) The parents are less authoritarian. "We don't want to stand by such values" the publisher's spokeswoman said.
Instead they want to stand by the values of lying to their customers, because they sell them a certain novel by a certain author and instead of delivering the book the customer bought they deliver an adaptation they have modified as they see fit.

I assume that if they publish an Agatha Christie novel they'll remove the murders, because I suppose they do not stand by murder.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body