Blyton books in town...

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Blyton books in town...

Post by manzanita »

Once again, Okehampton has Blyton back in the charity shops :) Quite a few Dean Rewards and modern reprints.

I decided on "Five Go To Demon's Rocks", "Five On A Hike Together" and "Five On Kirrin Island Again". Mostly because they were older and more what I consider to be the proper texts.

"On A Hike..." is quite unusual IMO and I've never seen this line before. Printed by Brockhampton Press, it's hardback with illustrated front printed onto the cover. Usually I'm used to seeing hardbacks with dustjackets.

Anyhow... should keep me going :D

Manzy
Moonraker

Re: Not only Blyton books in town...

Post by Moonraker »

manzanita wrote:Once again, Okehampton has Blyton back in the charity shops
I was very interested to see that Okehampton could well be de-Beechingalised soon. The railway already runs trains to the town on Summer Sundays (although I was greatly saddened to see that all the old artefacts had been sold off to a local dealer), and plans are at an advanced stage to run trains from Plymouth to Tavistock. That will just leave a comparitively short distance to repair the break between Tavistock and Okehampton. Then the mighty LSWR route to south Devon will be re-instated. 159s running between Waterloo and Plymouth on Southern metals! Can't wait - mind you, I'm not holding my breath.
Society Member
Petermax

Re: Blyton books in town...

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote:
manzanita wrote:Once again, Okehampton has Blyton back in the charity shops
That will just leave a comparitively short distance to repair the break between Tavistock and Okehampton.
Judging by events elsewhere, (Uckfield) this will be priced beyond what is reasonable. Just who receives all those tens of millions? I have never been to Okehampton, but I understand that the station has survived relatively intact since closure.

Poor Manzanita, what are we doing to her thread? :lol: I too have noticed an increase in the number of Enid Blyton books in the charity shops, it looks as if they are using their common sense at long last. :) Most of the books available appear to be the more modern reprints, whereas I prefer editions printed as close as possible to the original publication date.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I can normally find Blyton's almost original texts in my local Oxfam book shop, where I've picked up such wondered as an almost perfect second impression, with almost perfect dust-jacket, for the grand sum of £15!

And a first, but sad to say rather tatty edtion of The Natures Lovers Guide, for about a fiver! :D

It's always worth a check, if anyone's interested! :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Petermax wrote: Judging by events elsewhere, (Uckfield) this will be priced beyond what is reasonable.

I think you're right there Petermax. So I have been informed :wink:

You're right Moonraker, I wouldn't hold your breath.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Re: Not only Blyton books in town...

Post by manzanita »

Moonraker wrote: I was very interested to see that Okehampton could well be de-Beechingalised soon. The railway already runs trains to the town on Summer Sundays (although I was greatly saddened to see that all the old artefacts had been sold off to a local dealer), and plans are at an advanced stage to run trains from Plymouth to Tavistock. That will just leave a comparitively short distance to repair the break between Tavistock and Okehampton. Then the mighty LSWR route to south Devon will be re-instated. 159s running between Waterloo and Plymouth on Southern metals! Can't wait - mind you, I'm not holding my breath.
No, I wouldn't either. You're likely to die of asphyxiation! It's a complicated state of affairs at the old station with ownership of the tracks, station and running rights of trains all owned by different people.

Whilst it would certainly serve a purpose to alleviate pressure on the existing line particularly when closed due to rough seas, actual uptake by the town itself I think is doubtful in it's present set up. The current station is on top of a big hill, meaning it is out of the way for a lot of the town and that's partly the reason for it's closure originally - nobody went up there to use it! Currently there is a shuttle bus which could be extended to serve the station, but since when did public transport ever run in harmony?!

About a year ago a survery was posted around the town asking for opinions as to frequency of trains and the building of a parkway type station, but sadly I don't think anything will come of it for us mere locals!

So, sadly I think the cost of replacing the tracks etc etc I think will probably outweigh the benefits to the area in whose ever opinion it is that assesses these things. If it was that profitable, I doubt it ever would have been closed.

Manzy