Lost Hoopoe

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
refinnej1212

Lost Hoopoe

Post by refinnej1212 »

Is there anybody who can help settle a debate in my father-in-laws birdwatching group about a Famous Five book which involves the children in an attempt to prevent undesirables stealing eggs of the rare Hoopoe in East Sussex. I can't remember such a story and cannot see mention of it in your posted summaries - could it be the secret seven, or one of the other series :?:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Lost Hoopoe

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think the book you are referring to is a Secret Seven book, titled Look Out, Secret Seven, where some boys were trying to steal eggs from a Blackbirds nest. The Chapter was called Bird-nesters - and a Rescue.

Unfortunately, that's the only book I know of regarding boys trying to steal eggs. Blyton wrote many books of course, and maybe someone else may have read some other book about the subject you mentioned.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think the book you are looking for is "Strangers to the Marsh" by Monica Edwards which features a nesting hoopoe in a derelict castle. The four children mount a bid to prevent an unscrupulous neighbour from making money out of advertising outings to view the birds. This book is one of the Romney Marsh series featuring Tamzin, Meryon, Roger and Rissa. I hope that has given you enough to recognise the book if it is the one you are asking about.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Nearby
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series - Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Philip Mannering, Barney, Sooty LeNoir, Andy

Post by Nearby »

One more contender. There was a title in the 'Nettleford' series by Malcolm Saville (author of the Lone Pine series of books) where the children strive to prevent thieves stealing birds' eggs. It's been a while since I read it, so I'm not sure if it was the Hoopoe though.

The book is called 'Spring Comes to Nettleford'.
Between the years of 1947-1959, Enid Blyton used 98% of the worlds resources of ! Fact.