Famous Five Game Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Tony Summerfield

Famous Five Game Books

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have spent a useful weekend adding various things to the Book Listing. Amongst other things I have added the eight Famous Five Game Books, that were published in the 80s, to the Continuation Novels section. Each of these was based on one of the original books and came in a wallet with a dice and various other goodies. As the only place to buy these now is in the likes of car boot sales and charity shops, you are never too sure if some vital item is missing. I have therefore pictured all the items that the wallet contained, apart from the dice. Sadly more often than not these are missing, but an ordinary dice (or more correctly 'die' as dice is a plural word!) will serve just as well.

I am intrigued to know if anyone has actually ever played one of these games!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Famous Five Game Books

Post by Ming »

The Game Books look interesting - are they in your collection? Have you played them?

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Yes, I do have all the Famous Five Game Books, though I must admit I have never played them, so I wondered if someone else had. I only have two of the Find-Outers Games books though.
Nearby
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series - Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Philip Mannering, Barney, Sooty LeNoir, Andy

Post by Nearby »

I think I owned 2 of these as a child. A Christmas present along with the Famous Five Diary.

I can't remember much of them other than I felt distinctly frustrated while playing them, but I have no idea why. Probably because I preferred just getting on with the proper book rather than all the palaver with the dice. :oops:
Between the years of 1947-1959, Enid Blyton used 98% of the worlds resources of ! Fact.
murphy
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Dick/George/Philip

Post by murphy »

I think I had the full set of them and played them quite a bit as well. I also had the set of Famous Five and you books.

Unfortunately my mum gave them away when I moved out. :|
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A few years ago my daughter and I played a couple of the Famous Five Game Book games. One was The Sinister Lake Game, based on Five On a Hike Together, but I've forgotten which of the others we had so it obviously wasn't very memorable! Reasonably entertaining to play two or three times, but after that the story options are too familiar and rather boring.

We've also played a few of the Find-Outers "Solve-it-Yourself" mysteries (Raided Safe, Shadowy Figure and Note from Nowhere) and found those more fun. Although they're related to a certain extent to the original books, most of them are not so closely related that the solution is obvious. The idea is to identify the crook, making use of both text and picture clues.

I hadn't known about the two "Adventure Squad" Game Book games, before seeing them on the Book Listing. What are they like?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I did buy one of these books back in the 80's for my daughter, but I hardly remember it now. I can't even remember which one it was I bought for her. It's not in my collection so sadly must have been thrown years ago :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

murphy wrote:I also had the set of Famous Five and you books.
I had forgotten all about these books, but I have now added them to the Book Listing. I am not very sure how many there were though, I only have six, but there might be more.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I'v got a couple of these books. One given to me by a friend, and another purchased at the Enid blyton day 07.

So far, I have not settled down to play one,and was really just adding to my collection....

BTW- While I was on the Long Mynd this morning, after visiting Keele yesterday, I went in to the Gift shop and came across the Famous Five Jigsaw puzzles! :D I was surprised to say the least. Considering it was Malcolm Saville country! I didn't get one (there were three to choose from) and the Lady in the shop, when I asked Mentioned that Enid was coming back into fashion, and she also recommended Viv's shop to me! :shock:

Just thought I'd mention it! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/