The Famous Five's Survival Guide

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: A New Famous Five?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The Famous Five's Survival guide was waiting for me when we got home from Dorset. Briefly had a look through this book so far, and it seems very good. It's the next one on my list to read, and I'm looking forward to it. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I bought a copy of the Survival guide and quite enjoyed it - the references to other Blyton characters are very amusing!!! And it leaves the reader with a mystery to solve(piece of cake!!) but fun none the less.

Well worth reading! :D
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Susie

Post by Susie »

This is one of those must haves, I'm going to order it from WH Smith today, I just saw it on their website you can get it for £10.39. if you buy it in shop it's £15.99. They have free delivery! :D
There is always something else new to learn.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm afraid that you missed out on that one Susie, W H Smith had it at half price in their shops last week - £7.99! :roll:
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Bah. I did'nt see that one. My local WH Smiths is at the airport and they frequently have entirely differant promotions to the ones offered on the High Street. So they usually have what I would describe as "airport blockbusters" on half price but rarely anything like a childrens book. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Famous Five's Survival Guide

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was in W H Smith this morning, and I noticed it has gone back to half price - so £7.99 again for those who haven't yet bought a copy and want one!
iamaran

The Famous Five's Survival Guide

Post by iamaran »

Merged with an earlier thread.

My daughter and I are reading 'The Famous Five's Survival Guide' together and we’re enjoying it.

To ensure that we solve the mystery I've looked at the last page(!) and it seems that we need to go to http://www.famousfive.co.uk. However, the site has no content.

We are approaching the end of the book rapidly and I fear I’m going to have a very disappointed child.

What should we have found at the website? Can anyone assist? Thank you in advance.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm sure once someone reads this they'll be able to help you. I have this book and bought it when it first came out, but have to confess that I haven't even given it a read yet! :oops:

8)

Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Wayback has http://www.famous5.com/survivalguide/fa ... guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; archived, but the "Can you solve the riddle" link ain't doing anything for me.

ETA: Wiki Answers sez...

Bit naughty of Chorion to kill the site really.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Yes, thanks Zar Quon. I've tried the Wayback Machine but had the same end result as you.
I also saw the Wiki Answers link, but of course that's referring to the website too.

I fear we're going to get to the end of the book and hit a brick wall.

It's annoying as the book is still available at all the usual places, and quite expensive at £13.59 on the first site I checked...
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Someone's bound to be along in a bit with the answer :)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I read the book and found myself a bit stumped by the final mystery I think, and I did visit the website.

I just can't remember anything more than that. I'm assuming that Chorion closed the site as they no longer own the copyright to the book. Perhaps someone should contact Hodder to see if they will be adding the appropriate content to one of their sites?

I've dug out my copy of the book and I think - THINK - the correct brick was in the top left corner somewhere but I may be completely wrong. I think even after visiting the site I was a bit disappointed in the final solution.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah, yes. Seems I was wrong.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 131AA1lSqY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_a ... ival_guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for the links, Fiona.

I really must get around to reading this book! :|

8)

Society Member
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Thanks. The website is vital to the solution then, as I'd feared...