The Famous Five's Survival Guide

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

The Famous Five's Survival Guide

Post by Moonraker »

Saw THIS when browsing through Amazon. Is this a reprint?
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: A New Famous Five?

Post by Pippa-Stef »

There's nothing in the book listings! :?

So I would say it's new! But question is- Is it a disney production? I mean it doesn't look like it of course, but who can tell?

So I yield. I suppose Tony would be best at this one! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Never seen that book before. We need Tony's help on this one :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I came across it the other day, when I was getting the right dates for the keys on the Famous Five reprints. You wouldn't find it in the book listing as it has nothing to do with Enid Blyton. There have been all sorts of spin-offs over the years, like the various game books that came with dice etc. and this is just another similar thing. I think the last thing was the Famous Five file, which came out a year or two ago. This looks like a slightly more expensive venture by Hodders.
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

So would you say it's worth it's fifteen pound asking price Tony? I mean if it's Hodders, they have a pretty sound reputation with Enid's books don't they?
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

So it must be on the similar grounds of the book I have by Norman Wright, The Famous Five, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know? Which is a nice book to own. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:So it must be on the similar grounds of the book I have by Norman Wright, The Famous Five, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know? Which is a nice book to own. :D

8)
I have that book!

It's a wonderful thing to have! If I need to refresh my memory, it serves just right! :D

Tony Summerfield

'.......this book includes useful advice on topics such as codebreaking, using a compass, building an escape raft, first aid, camping, and much more.'

I would have thought this description would go a long way to showing you what sort of book it is likely to be!
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I see your point...

Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

It's a tie in with the cartoon series.

I'd suggest that it covers the same sort of material as Scouting for boys :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Sounds a similar idea to the paperback 'Famous Five Diary', which i have a copy of. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

It sounds good! Not very Famous Five-ish, but I've always been interested in codes (like Snubby :lol: ) and camping, so I'll think about buying that book.

But if it's in anyway being connected with the cartoon series, I might have to think more. :lol:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I bought a copy of this book yesterday, and I must say, although I was initially sceptical, it is a very well-produced book, and I'm glad I bought it.

From the look of it, it isnt particularly tied into the new cartoon series at all: it's much higher quality! :D The many coloured illustrations of the Five, done especially for the book, are traditional in style (the book is set in 1959) and the factual parts are very interesting and informative (rather like the factual parts of the famous Five annuals of the 1970's and 80's).

The hardbacked book is in full colour, has 252 pages, and as well as containing factual 'survival' articles also includes a mystery which the Five supposedly didnt solve in 1959. The book is introduced by the famous Five as adults (sadly, it says, 'in memory of Timmy'!) There are extracts from diaries written by Julian, Dick, Anne and George, letters and old papers to decipher with the help of a decoder (a cardboard bookmark with holes set at various places so that 'secret messages' in the text are revealed) and plans and maps including one of Dibeltoynn Castle (work it out! :roll: ) and the place where the treasure is supposed to be hidden. The actually solving of the mystery is left to the reader, with clues to follow throughout the story.

Despite its price (£15.99 in Waterstones) I think it is well-worth it, as it is so well produced, colourful and solid. It also includes (modern-day based) articles on 'How to survive a shipwreck'(!!) testing your memory, how to escape from being tied up, how to find secret passages, how to find water,how to safely cross a river, what to do if you get lost, etc.

I will say though, that I'm surprised the book hasnt been 'banned' for suggesting such things as how to jump from a moving train(!!), how to go rock climbing(!) and how to forage for wild food (including mushrooms!) Some of the suggestions carry warnings, and there is even a disclaimer at the front of the book as to any 'injury or damage that may result from your use (whether proper or improper) of the information contained in this book'

An interesting book though, and one I would heartily recommend. :D
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 23 Aug 2008, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Thanks for that review, Robert. It sounds great - I'll look out for it.

Maybe we should all buy it and have a go at doing some of these things (like jumping off moving trains for the more adventurous among us - Moonraker?) and tell the board how we get on. How to find water could be pretty damn useful for us Aussies in the future ...
Tony Summerfield

I'm glad you liked the book, Rob. I haven't yet seen a copy as it hasn't yet reached outposts like Salisbury, but I had already gathered that it was not a tie-in to the cartoon series and also that Hodders had really pulled the stops out on the book. I was talking to Esra at Chorion about it and she told me that she did a fair bit of editing for the book and she was quite proud of the result. Your review of the book would seem to suggest that her pride is justified.

I may well lift your review for the Book Listing!