Splitting Up Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Tony Summerfield

Splitting Up Series

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Over the past two or three weeks I have been adding keys to all the reprints of the novels in the Book Listing, and something that has struck me as rather strange is the way that some series are split up between different publishers. We have discussed in the past that when Collins/Armada published More Adventures on Willow Farm they had to change the title to Adventures on Willow Farm, as the use of the word 'More' would have seemed odd as they hadn't published the first two books in the series.

This occurred again with the Wishing-Chair books. Adventures of the Wishing-Chair was published by Dragon when it went into paperback, but The Wishing-Chair Again was published by Beaver.

The oddest of all though must be the Naughtiest Girl sandwich. Whilst the first and last books, 'School' and 'Monitor', were being published by Beaver, the middle book in the series, The Naughtiest Girl Again, was being published by Armada. I don't know whether this was the responsibility of Darrell Waters or the various publishers, but it seems very odd that they should have allowed this to happen.
Moonraker

Re: Splitting Up Series

Post by Moonraker »

Queer indeed. I bought one of those omnibus books of The Naughtiest Girl series, only to find that the first book in the series wasn't included. That meant I had to buy the first book through eBay, as I couldn't read an incomplete series. Why would anyone want to start at book 2? :?
Society Member
dsr

Re: Splitting Up Series

Post by dsr »

I would imagine it's a sign of EB's massive commercial success, that she could sign a book deal without a clause in the contract giving the publisher first refusal on sequels.
DSR