Sea of Adventure - During the Storm

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Sea of Adventure - During the Storm

Post by Moonraker »

Having just re-read Sea of Adventure, I am puzzled at the incidents happening whilst the storm raged. The children's tents both blew away; however, I would have gambled a great deal of money that before Philip fell down the hole, they sheltered in a semi-derelict barn-type building. I can picture it in my mind since reading it years ago. It was the next day that Philip 'found' the hole leading into the puffin burrow.

Obviously I am getting the plot muddled with another story. It is not the outhouse in Valley of Adventure, though. :?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Sea of Adventure - During the Storm

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm pretty sure that there were no buildings of any description on the island in Sea of Adventure. The children have a meal on the motorboat before retiring to their tents which then blow away and, while walking away from the campsite, Philip falls down the hole.

I think you are thinking of The Adventurous Four. There the children are living in a wooden hut when they are discovered by the enemy. After a storm one night they conceive the idea of pulling down the hut and using the planks to build a raft. They do this and tell the soldiers who come the next morning that the hut blew down in the storm. The men bring them a tent to live in and the hut is duly turned into a raft.

The only other incidence of Blyton characters sheltering in a derelict building are in the Famous Five books Secret Trail and On a Hike Together.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: I think you are thinking of The Adventurous Four. There the children are living in a wooden hut when they are discovered by the enemy. After a storm one night they conceive the idea of pulling down the hut and using the planks to build a raft. They do this and tell the soldiers who come the next morning that the hut blew down in the storm. The men bring them a tent to live in and the hut is duly turned into a raft.
You are spot on, John, I remember it now. Thanks for putting me out of my misery!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

No problem Nigel. I had to puzzle over it myself for about half an hour before it came to me. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member