Noddy - A Classic Treasury

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Noddy - A Classic Treasury

Post by Moonraker »

I was looking at this in our local Waterstone's the other day, and nearly bought it. When I got hom, I found it in Play.com's listings, so I bought it!

It says the illustrations are by Beek, but curiously the golliwogs are absent - although there is a kind of golliwog on the Contents page.

Being very fond of the little nodding character, it does appear to be a fine volume. It also has a nice introduction by Gillian Baverstock One sentence of note is this:

"Looking at her [Enid's] work very closely, there is no description of place that limits the stories to a particular geography or time, and that gives it universal appeal."
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Noddy - A Classic Treasury

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was very tempted to buy this book, but haven't as yet, due mainly to the fact that the pictures have been 'doctored' (ie, the golliwogs taken out). :evil:

I was also surprised to see new paperback editions of the original 'Noddy Library' series of stories (with original illustrations but still devoid of gollies, of course) for sale in my 'local' Waterstones. I had always imagined that the original Noddy books were no longer published, so that was quite a pleasant surprise! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member