The Secret Mountain - The Sun Disappears

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

The Secret Mountain - The Sun Disappears

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

We had typical Bank-holiday weather on Sunday so I did the obvious wet weekend thing - read an Enid Blyton book. I haven't read The Secret Mountain for ages and must admid I had forgotten much of the details - age - arghhh!!!

The bit where Captain Arnold makes the sun disappear is brilliant and the childhood memories of that remained - and then I thought - "that's familiar!" Sure enough, got out my old Tin-Tin collection and found the same thing in "Prisoners of the sun" The memory was well-and-truely jogged by then and I also vaguely remembered seeing a similar scene in a movie - I think it was either "King Solomon's Mines" or certainly something very close.
Apocalypto uses almost the same thing to save good old Mel ~Gibson from a darstardly death

Interesting how the same idea gets used through the ages - anyone know of any more examples of this or where the eclipse idea actually originated from?

cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The Secret Mountain - The Sun Disappears

Post by Lucky Star »

It was certainly used in H Rider Haggards novel King Solomons Mines. The hero's there also used it to defuse a sticky situation in which an African tribe were about to kill them. It even followed a similar pattern to Blyton's scene with the hero (cant remember his name offhand) shouting at the sun before "killing" it. I'm not sure but I think he shot it with a rifle as opposed to capt. Arnold's throwing of a knife. In any case that novel was published in 1885 so I would hazard a guess that that was the first instance of the eclipse being used as a plot device. I loved that book as a child, perhaps Blyton had read it too and the scene stuck in her famous undermind?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hi Lucky Star
I thought it was "King Soloman's mines" but couldn't really remember. Yes Maybe Enid did read the novel and the idea stuck. I don't think I've ever read it so I may give it a go.

I've since done a bit of research and it seems as if Christopher Columbus used a similar trick - trying to find out more......
cheers
timmy
woof,woof!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Timmy-the-dog wrote:I've since done a bit of research and it seems as if Christopher Columbus used a similar trick
Fascinating. It's amazing what we learn on these Forums!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

There was also an eclipse during a well-known battle between the (victorious) Zulus and the British. I’m referring to the battle of Isandlwana (22/01/1879).
The battle was at its most intense at about 2.00pm, and a partial eclipse of the sun at about this time added an eerie quality to it.