Petal

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Petal

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Kate Mary wrote:An exception, of course, is Enid Blyton, I wonder if she would be as popular today if her books were not updated?
An interesting question. In many cases only things like names, currency, clothes and food have been updated, with the essentials of the story staying the same. Admittedly this can make for an unsettling mish-mash (the Adventurous Four books now feature characters named Pippa and Zoe who use modern slang yet still live in wartime Britain) but the plot, pace and general atmosphere remain largely unaffected. Only in a very few books have things like computers and mobile phones been brought in, together with faster-paced action and dialogue, resulting in enormous changes to plot, character and tone so that the stories are almost unrecognisable. An example would be the Secret and Adventure books based on the New Zealand TV series. However, I'm not even sure whether those books are in print any longer - if not, that suggests that they didn't go down too well with young readers. Certainly Blyton's original stories, in some cases with a number of fairly minor updates, continued to exist alongside the modern "novelisations" and have probably outlived them.
Kate Mary wrote:Another thought is will there be a Captain Underpants Society in the future?, or a Michael Lawrence forum with a group of adults earnestly discussing such titles as 'Nudie Dudie', 'The Snottle' or 'The killer underpants', not to mention Zombie bums?
Goodness knows - time will tell! :)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Kate Mary wrote: a group of adults earnestly discussing such titles as 'Nudie Dudie', 'The Snottle' or 'The killer underpants', not to mention Zombie bums?
Dont give Moonraker ideas. :D :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think you are certainly right, Anita, these 'novelisations' of the two TV series are no longer in print. As the series themselves aren't available in any form (neither series got even a video release in this country), I don't think that Collins thought it was worthwhile keeping them in print. You are right in saying that Macmillan continued to publish the Blyton Adventure series, but for several years the Secret series went completely out of print and the novelisations were the only available version and as they followed the films they bore no resemblance to the original Blyton versions at all.

The Secret series came back into print when Award took them over, but I have not yet seen them for sale in any bookshop, so they have been badly sidelined and unfortunately the Barney series has suffered the same fate. :cry:
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

At the large public library where I work, we stock no Enid Blyton books published by Award, if I were responsible for buying children's fiction stock that would change - but I'm not. However, we do have a couple of shelves full of Blytons, all paperbacks published either by Hodder (Famous Five, Secret Seven) or Egmont (Malory Towers, St Clare's, FFO, Faraway Tree), the only exception to these two are some large print editions published by Chivers.

Another thing I have noticed is that while Blyton books go out fairly steadily, they seem particularly popular with Asian children, is it because Asian families are almost invariably of the traditional type with married parents, and Blyton books reflect this, or merely that they have always been popular there? Perhaps Ming would comment on this, I would be interested to read what she says.

The most popular children's authors today are: Daisy Meadows - Rainbow Fairies, (girls only), Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry (boys and girls), Dav Pilkey - Captain Underpants (mostly boys), these books fly off the shelves in the way that Enid's used to do.

Oh well, times change and Enid is still in there among the most borrowed authors in public libraries, long may she continue.

Kate.
Last edited by Kate Mary on 24 May 2008, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony Summerfield wrote:You are right in saying that Macmillan continued to publish the Blyton Adventure series, but for several years the Secret series went completely out of print and the novelisations were the only available version and as they followed the films they bore no resemblance to the original Blyton versions at all.
About four years ago I came across a library copy of the "novelisation" of The Secret Island, based on the New Zealand TV adaptation, so I borrowed it just to see how far the story deviated from the original. There are numerous alterations to the plot, one of the most noticeable being that the role of the adult characters has been enlarged so that they keep popping up all through the book - not only the children's father (Thaddeus!) but Uncle Henry and Aunt Harriet, Jack's grandad and various police officers. Oh, and there is a "mad monk" living on the island!

Sadly, all the ingredients that make Blyton's Secret Island so special have been lost and the story has been turned into an "action-packed adventure" to the exclusion of everything else. All the way through, the "novelisation" cuts from one short scene to another and from one set of characters to another, leaving no time for the reader to get to grips with one situation before being confronted with another. In Blyton's original, the story unfolds slowly and the emphasis is on the small community that the children create as they get to know the island, learn how to survive on it and grow to love it. In the modern version, we discover surprisingly little about the island itself and about how the children cope with day to day life there. Excitement comes in the form of the "mad monk" who is said to "haunt" the island. What about the zest for living, the love of nature and the gradual discovery of what the island has to offer? All these things have been sacrificed for the sake of cheap thrills and constant activity.

What comes across most of all in Blyton's book is the children's capacity for joy. They have been through hard times but are full of determination and they revel in their new life on the secret island. By contrast, the characters in the updated version are joyless.

At the time I borrowed the book I noticed that the library stocked several Enid Blyton titles, most of them genuine, giving children the chance to read more-or-less unadulterated Blyton. That is still the case today. Imagine the confusion, though, for children who read the library copy of The Secret of Spiggy Holes (original text) after reading the library copy of The Secret Island (TV version). They'll wonder why Laura has become Nora, be astonished that the children's mother has returned from the dead, and notice that the characters suddenly come out with phrases like "I say!" and "Mummy's a brick." When they get to the part where Prince Paul is taken to the Secret Island, they'll be mystified by references to Willow House (which is not in the film version) and wonder why there is no mention of the mad monk!

I'm relieved to hear that the updated versions had such a short shelf-life - let's hope that any remaining library copies will soon be discarded!
Tony Summerfield wrote:The Secret series came back into print when Award took them over, but I have not yet seen them for sale in any bookshop, so they have been badly sidelined and unfortunately the Barney series has suffered the same fate. :cry:
It would be good if Award could get these series into the shops. Currently, all the other major Enid Blyton series are readily available in shops like WHSmith and Waterstones.
Kate Mary wrote:The most popular children's authors today are: Daisy Meadows - Rainbow Fairies...
Daisy Meadows? That's never her real name, surely?! (Assuming she's not a syndicate, which is perfectly possible of course.)

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viking Star wrote: As an example the article focuses on Fortune-tellers, who will have to tell customers that what they offer is "for entertainment only" and not "experimentally proven".
Will this apply to the Government, as well?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have a couple of the recent Award versions of 'Spiggy holes' and 'Rubadub Mystery', originally published in those versions in 1992, but reprinted 2002. They are very nice books, I think, with the stories pretty much intact (might be a few small modernisations as always!) i know in Rubadub 'Dummy's' name has been changed to 'Dumpy', which seems a bit daft even considering the PC brigade! I also have secret Mountain, complete with mafumu and his tribe. The illustrations are all done by Dudley Wynne - one of the best of the modern Blyton illustrators, I think, and they are well worth having as 'complete' versions of the books that are otherwise unavaliable except as past editions. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Kate Mary wrote:Another thing I have noticed is that while Blyton books go out fairly steadily, they seem particularly popular with Asian children, is it because Asian families are almost invariably of the traditional type with married parents, and Blyton books reflect this, or merely that they have always been popular there? Perhaps Ming would comment on this, I would be interested read what she says.
Let's face it - what was UK in Blyton's time is what Bangladesh is in 2008 - mostly. Most of the people in Asia are middle-class, with jolly cooks who bake amazing cakes and stay-at-home mums, rather cute two-storied houses (though now it is mostly apartments). Parents are always married and there is hardly ever a divorce. Think of the Christmas preparations in the books - the pudding is made months before - the same thing happens here, preparations for a great feast start weeks beforehand. We never mind reading books of that time - we don't say, "how backdated the book is!", because most people here don't even know the latest technologies (or technology itself, for that matter). Another reason may be that, we read some Bangla books in class, from the 1800s - now that is difficult language, and Blyton's simple words are a welcome relief.

One thing I have noticed is that in a place called New Market you can get the pre-1990s editions for very cheap, most other books (Harry Potter, Nancy Drew, etc) are only available firsthand, and they're pretty expensive. I guess that is another reason why people read Blyton here.

When I was back in Grade 3 (4 years ago!) the English teacher recommended us to read some books - and in that list was Blyton. I remember only too well the frantic rush to the bookcases and the fights in front of them. :D

I think Tony mentioned somewhere on the forums that in the Indian Subcontinent there are many people who read only Blyton, yet have never discovered The Enid Blyton Society. Strange, that, considering the fact that there are so many books on sale. Tony, you could try suggesting to the publishers to include a link to the society website in the books? The Enid Blyton Trust For Children and The Enid Blyton Newsletter is so well advertised, but do they even exist any more?

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Enid Blyton Trust for Children still exists, run by Enid Blyton's granddaughter Sophie Smallwood.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you for that reply, Ming, it is good to know that Enid Blyton is still popular in Asia, good to know too that traditional family values are still strong there.

Kate.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Daisy Meadows? That's never her real name, surely?! (Assuming she's not a syndicate, which is perfectly possible of course.)

Anita
Yes, Daisy Meadows is a pseudonym for a syndicate, there are actually four different writers who churn out the books. I believe that Enid Blyton's 'Enchanted World' hopes to grab a slice of this hugely successful cake. I think this is also likely to be written by a syndicate and I guess the 100$ question is will they leave it at that with no author credited, or will they use the pseudonym Enid Blyton! :roll:

Looking at Amazon I see that Petal is being published in September and will have 160 pages.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Picking up where the hugely successful "Faraway Tree" series left off, the inhabitants of the Enchated Wood face the biggest threat to their existence yet - the death of the Faraway tree!Magical, mystical and completely loveable, the "Enchanted World" series follows the adventures of five fairies brought together to save the Faraway tree by regaining the lost Talismans that provide the life force of the tree."Petal and the Endless Bloom": In the Land of Flora the fairies face one of their toughest tasks so far as the beautiful yet dangerous landscape quite literally ensnares them. Can they get back to the Faraway Tree with the endless bloom before the world moves away from the Faraway Tree? And can they stop Talon from getting to the Talisman before them?

The trouble with this blurb and the general idea of this 'new' Blyton book is that it sounds so DAMN BORING! :x It doesnt seem to have an original idea in it, it has nothing to do with Enid Blyton and it just seems like some usual childrens fantasy thing; rather like a computer game where you have to go around collecting talismans to get to the next level.

Nothing in that blurb would encourage me to buy such a book. In fact, it would encourage me to go searching on ebay, amazon, stella and roses Books, anywhere where it is possible to still pick up original unadulterated versions of the Faraway Tree books.

Aren't the people at Chorion capable of producing Enid Blyton books actually written by Enid Blyton anymore? :evil:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I totally agree, Robert. In any case, we've had the Tree dying in the original books, so there is nothing new in this storyline. How good it would be to see Chorion re-producing the original editions of a series - as has been done with Agatha Christie's books - in hardback with original dust jackets.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes it would indeed be lovely to see them back on sale in their full glory. Did the centenary editions of The Famous Five books with the original artwork sell well? If so there may be some hope of it happening.

As to the new books I will not buy them - I never buy any of the "continuation" books. To me the only author who could invest Blytons characters with life is/was Enid Blyton herself. I do think however that the new efforts are not being aimed at us, the genuine fans, but at new readers. As regards the authors name on the cover some sort of balance should surely be struck. "Enid Blyton's Enchanted World by xxxx" or something similar to let kids know that the characters and situations were created by Blyton but that the book in their hands was not.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:Yes it would indeed be lovely to see them back on sale in their full glory. Did the centenary editions of The Famous Five books with the original artwork sell well? If so there may be some hope of it happening.
I've no idea how well those editions of the Famous Five books sold, but personally I didn't buy any because the text was updated. I would certainly be interested in genuine facsimile editions of the Faraway Tree books though, with the original text as well as the original dust-jackets and internal illustrations.

Anita

Society Member