Who would u like:--George or Jo???

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Ritu
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Malory Towers,St.Clares,Five FindOuter
Favourite character: Julian, George, Darrell, Elizabeth Allen

Who would u like:--George or Jo???

Post by Ritu »

Hey!!!
I always wonder who people would like better----George or the ragamuffin girl,Jo.I have always liked George better,and she has been always among my most favourite characters of EB.I won't say I don't like Jo,I like the way she runs,her cheekiness and bla,bla,bla.......But I have always liked George better.Who would u like better???? Cheers,Ritu
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Who would u like:--George or Jo???

Post by Lucky Star »

George and Jo are very alike in many ways, they even get mistaken for one another. George has always been my favourite of the FF series so I will say her. Jo is a really interesting character in many ways especially as Blyton usually does'nt portray gypsies all that well. Ultimately though she does'nt appear in the books often enough to qulify as being above George - the original and the best. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ritu

Post by Ritu »

I agree with you wholeheartedly,LuckyStar.In fact,my favourite character has been George,so far.But as you say,Jo is an interesting character---and I really like her boldness,and obviously,her fights with George(however I was George always,in my class plays).... :wink: Cheers,Ritu
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Ritu:] I was George always,in my class plays
Do you mean you acted out Famous Five plays in school as part of a Drama lesson or something, or that you and your friends played at being the Famous Five at playtime?

When we were young, my sister and I used to play with two sisters at their house or ours and we sometimes played at being the Famous Five (we had an imaginary Timmy!) All of us wanted to be George so we had to take it in turns.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ritu

Post by Ritu »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
[Ritu:] I was George always,in my class plays
Do you mean you acted out Famous Five plays in school as part of a Drama lesson or something, or that you and your friends played at being the Famous Five at playtime?

When we were young, my sister and I used to play with two sisters at their house or ours and we sometimes played at being the Famous Five (we had an imaginary Timmy!) All of us wanted to be George so we had to take it in turns.

Anita
Well,Anita,u'r 2nd guess is correct.My friends and I are a little crazy,and always make ourselves to be characters of different books and cartoons,such as Harry Potter and many cartoons,like Pokemon etc.....One day,I suggested to create FF characters,and mainly speaking,I'm a lot like George,always acting to be boyish(I've even got my hair cut short,and I hate wearing dresses,and always wear Jeans).So,everyone asked me to be George,so I was always George,(I was really excited in bein so)while playing among ourselves.(U know what,In another cartoon series,I was'nt only made a tomboyish girl.In fact,I had to act in the character of a boy only!!!!)
:wink: Cheers,Ritu
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I would say George!
Jo adds conflict into the group- at least in Five Fall into Adventure and I don't think George was ever too happy about the way Jo seemed to get a lot of attention from Dick!

There could have been something in that I suppose! Although possibly not.
It's more likely that it was just that Jo was too like George for George to like wholly :D

George would get my vote though! The tough Girl! It's a shame there aren't much of them around anymore! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote: I don't think George was ever too happy about the way Jo seemed to get a lot of attention from Dick! :D
Most girls seemed to like Dick. Maybe it was his willingness to accept everyone and be friends, unlike George's and Julian's aloofness. Much the same with Fanny - she was warm and inviting - unlike the austere and bad-tempered Quentin.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Sterotyping of Oldest Children, Single Children, Stay at home Mothers and Breadwinning Fathers perhaps? :D
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Tanchan
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, The famous five
Favourite character: Jack from the Adventure Series

Post by Tanchan »

George.
I think she a little bit friendlyer and you can better speak with her. Jo ist a girl who often wants to be alone, who have not so many fun with her friends like George
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Hmm.... I must say that I don't like any of them! I am a HUGE critic of the Five books, and my favourite topic is to always criticize Georgina (not that she didn't deserve it) because she's such an arrogant, rude, short-tempered and idiotic 11 year old girl!
Last edited by Philip Mannering on 18 Jul 2008, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Philip Mannering wrote:Hmm.... I must say that I don't like any of them! I am a HUGE critic of the Five books, and my favourite topic is to always criticize Georgina (not that she she didn't deserve it) because she's such an arrogant, rude, short-tempered and idiotic 11 year old girl!
That's only your opinion though.

Enid did base George on herself though, didn't she :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Philip Mannering

Yes, good old Enid Blyton did base Georgina on her, but that's no reason why I shouldn't dislike her!
Just difference of opinion! :D
I think the biggest urge for slapping comes when Georgina is overly rebellious, defiant and all other negative things! When I read the books, I was older than her, so there was no knuckling-down because of age!
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:Hmm.... I must say that I don't like any of them! I am a HUGE critic of the Five books, and my favourite topic is to always criticize Georgina (not that she she didn't deserve it) because she's such an arrogant, rude, short-tempered and idiotic 11 year old girl!
Hmm, that sounds like another George some of us know on another site! :wink:

Welcome, Phil; nice to have someone here who appreciates that there is a whole lot more to Enid Blyton than the Famous Five! I do enjoy the Five series though, it was the first series that I read as a child. It is certainly not my favourite though, I find the Mystery and Adventure series far more enjoyable. A little of Julian goes a long way!
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote:
Hmm, that sounds like another George some of us know on another site! :wink:

Welcome, Phil; nice to have someone here who appreciates that there is a whole lot more to Enid Blyton than the Famous Five! I do enjoy the Five series though, it was the first series that I read as a child. It is certainly not my favourite though, I find the Mystery and Adventure series far more enjoyable. A little of Julian goes a long way!
Hello Moonraker. Yes, I also find that the Adventure, Secret, Barney, Mystery and the school series (Malory Towers, St. Clare's, Naughtiest Girl) are far, far more better than the Famous Five. Ironically however, it also was the first series of Blyton's I ever read - the series which introduced me to Blyton. In my younger days, I used to think the Five were great - although I'd never identified myself with the characters. Now, as a more older boy, I think the Five are annoying and the books don't have the potential to match the other series.
By the way, you said my description sounds similar to another George on another site....... can you be saying about Abhilasha on Enidblyton.net? :wink:
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:A little of Julian goes a long way!
Leave Him alone Nigel! :D