Who would u like:--George or Jo???

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Re: Who would u like:--George or Jo???

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: By the way, you said my description sounds similar to another George on another site....... can you be saying about Abhilasha on Enidblyton.net? :wink:
Have you posted on EnidBlyton.net, by any chance? :wink:
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote: By the way, you said my description sounds similar to another George on another site....... can you be saying about Abhilasha on Enidblyton.net? :wink:
Yes, I did! Very few posts though, and under a different pen name, because at that time, I liked Jack Trent more.
I think I stopped posting when the bickering messages came - and now no longer read the messages - rarely visiting the site at all now! :|
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Yes, I did! Very few posts though, and under a different pen name, because at that time, I liked Jack Trent more.
I think I stopped posting when the bickering messages came - and now no longer read the messages - rarely visiting the site at all now! :|
Ah, so you're Jack! Do take another look, Phil; Keith has tightened up security now, and none of the rubbish posts get through now. You may well like what you find!
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Well, I think I have a lot to say here!
Firstly, Moonraker, congratulations for finding out my previous pen name. And you know, coincidently just before I saw your message I went to EnidBlyton.net - a site I hadn't visited for a long time because of the reasons mentioned before - and just to my luck I found a really hurting message written by Iftikhar, who, similar to Christopher who posted before, had written a message which said our great Enid Blyton was a 'dumb, foolish, stupid and rubbish writer'. He even said Blyton was male! But he praised the site!That was the main difference between him and Christopher, who condemned the wonderful site! :x
You know I wrote a reply to Christopher's post - arguing back the main points - but I really feel I can't do it now. It would be just a case of repeating. :|
By the way, making a wild guess here - are you Nigel Rowe of Enidblyton.net? I question this because in a previous post Pippa-Stef called you 'Nigel' so are you the same? Please answer.
And if you are- I think we have corresponded before - remember me starting the 'Frederick Trotteville' thread, to which you replied? And if you are Nigel Rowe - then you are the one who introduced me to this site!
Meanwhile, you said I might like the new changes Keith has bought- and I do - although closing the 'Talk About Blyton' section was really sad (although it had to happen :( :| ). The Talk About Blyton was a thing that livened up the site - now it's gone and with blog posts few and messages virtually boring - the site does seem a bit lifeless. :|
But still after visiting the site after a long time I do like the new changes in overall. Reading the reviews too after some time is also good - they bring back fond memories. I really believe I should start reading the books soon! :D :lol:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: By the way, making a wild guess here - are you Nigel Rowe of Enidblyton.net?
And if you are- I think we have corresponded before - remember me starting the 'Frederick Trotteville' thread, to which you replied? And if you are Nigel Rowe - then you are the one who introduced me to this site!
Meanwhile, you said I might like the new changes Keith has bought- and I do - although closing the 'Talk About Blyton' section was really sad (although it had to happen :( :| ). The Talk About Blyton was a thing that livened up the site
One and the same! I shamelessly plug the Society to all I correspond with! I have even been warned over on the Yahoo group for plugging the Society site so much! I cannot believe that there are Blyton fans who do not subscribe to the Journal!

I regularly, nay frequently look at all the posts here, on Yahoo and EB.net. I take your point about Talk About Blyton, it did become a bit of a kids' chat room, but who knows, it may well re-open again one day! In any event, anything that you might want to post there can be posted on the main Message Board.

Incidentally, I have nothing against our younger friends posting, the vast majority write interesting posts; it is the "I'm like George" twaddle that I can't stand!
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Well said, Moonraker/Nigel! I also have nothing against young folk posting (look who's talking, I'm just 12 myself :roll: :lol: ) but to a certain extent. I know the vast majority post excellent posts but when you said you couldn't stand the sentence, "I'm like George," there you hit the nail right on the head :idea: :D . Sometimes the punctuation of some kids might be oddly formed, so would be the grammar; but they're still learning. They can be allowed to post; but on only 'their' topics, i.e. favourite character/favourite book/character analysis, etc. Posting on more 'adult' topics should be restrained.

Keith has also said in one of his previous blog posts, " a fairly recent spate of bickering occured between adults too." Yes, I know that, and I even witnessed that. :shock: :evil: That also was a major point in getting me to leave the site and not post any messages (even though the bickering happened before I posted; just its memory dawned upon me). Involving Jeni, a man named Daniel Sellers, and you! :o But I thankfully have to say that you didn't take part in any bickering, and instead managed to end it (with some friendly and ruthless jabs by Keith).

In the meantime, you said that you couldn't just believe that there was some Blyton fan unwilling to subscribe to the journal; but I believe it whole-heartedly. Because I am one of them! :o :!: Why? Living in India, it makes it terribly hard to go to UK (a place I've never been to :( ) So no point subscribing when you know you can't go. :| :(
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: In the meantime, you said that you couldn't just believe that there was some Blyton fan unwilling to subscribe to the journal; but I believe it whole-heartedly. Because I am one of them! :o :!: Why? Living in India, it makes it terribly hard to go to UK (a place I've never been to :( ) So no point subscribing when you know you can't go. :| :(
I don't really understand you, Phil. The Journal will be posted to you, you don't have to visit England to receive it. :?
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote:I don't really understand you, Phil. The Journal will be posted to you, you don't have to visit England to receive it. :?
A case of misunderstanding! :D When I said I couldn't go, I was referring to the Enid Blyton Day. I already knew the journal would be posted to me. What I meant was this:
For just a journal (although I'm sure it's a very good one) paying about 11 euros or pounds (which converted into Indian Rupees becomes Rs 726..... :roll: ) does seem rather high. If you could go to the Enid Blyton Day it wouldn't matter (just seeing those photos of the classic editions make my eyes long for them!) but when you know you can't go to England for the Day, it's very sad. I'm sure that there are many members of the Society who don't go the Day, but still, I'm not going to be one of them. If I will become a member it will be only for the Day, for the journal I don't have much longing. (Sorry EBS Journal fans; I haven't seen the journal and don't know its real strength! :D :lol: ) I hope you understood now. :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: When I said I couldn't go, I was referring to the Enid Blyton Day. I already knew the journal would be posted to me. What I meant was this:
For just a journal (although I'm sure it's a very good one) paying about 11 pounds does seem rather high. If I will become a member it will be only for the Day, for the journal I don't have much longing. (Sorry EBS Journal fans; I haven't seen the journal and don't know its real strength!
Philip - how could you! :wink:

Firstly, for your £11 you will get not one, not two, but THREE Journals. Secondly, it is obvious that you haven't seen one or you wouldn't be saying that you had no longing to see one. Personally, I would pay £30 a year to be a member and receive the Journals!
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote: Personally, I would pay £30 a year to be a member and receive the Journals!
But the you always were a bit strange Nigel! :wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Heya Philip Mannering!

Did you just get that e-mail from Keith's site about the talk about Enid coming back? :D

Just thought I'd mention it :wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Hello folks!

It's interesting to read comments about Talk About Blyton, whether they be good or bad; all feedback helps. I also feel vindicated in disabling it for a while, as clearly there were a LOT of people who got fed up with the kiddie talk!

Anyway, it's now enabled again, and from now on I'll have no compunction about deleting childish messages from the serial twaddlists (ie, the ones who repeatedly post rubbish and basically use the place as a personal chat room). I'd love to see some decent, intelligent conversation going on again.

It's ironic, though, that I should be saying all this in a thread entitled Who would u like:- George or Jo??? -- exactly the kind of topic I'm trying to shake off!!
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote: Philip - how could you! :wink:

Firstly, for your £11 you will get not one, not two, but THREE Journals. Secondly, it is obvious that you haven't seen one or you wouldn't be saying that you had no longing to see one. Personally, I would pay £30 a year to be a member and receive the Journals!
Alright, alright! I'll think about joining the Society, not only for the Day, but also for the journal!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Philip - how could you! :wink:

Alright, alright! I'll think about joining the Society, not only for the Day, but also for the journal!
Good man, Phil. I knew you'd see sense. By the way, I've corrected your BB Code!
Society Member
Philip Mannering

Moonraker wrote:
Good man, Phil. I knew you'd see sense. By the way, I've corrected your BB Code!
Thanks. :D And what's a BB Code? :?