Martinique?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
schuey100
Favourite book/series: Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Quentin!

Martinique?

Post by schuey100 »

I'm completely flummoxed! I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I was discussing The Famous Five with my wife earlier tonight, reminiscing about reading the books all those years ago and I mentioned that I once read a book where the five went to a small island (I'm sure it was Martinique). All I can remember is that at the end, they were under 'attack' and realised that if they smashed lightbulbs it sounded like gunfire which then scared off the attackers.

Now I could be completely mistaken and my memory has probably let me down but did such a story ever exist? I've spent an hour searching the web and didn't come up with anything. Of course it may not have been Martinique but I think it was. Then again, it might not even have been an Enid Blyton book :)

So does this ring a bell with anyone?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Martinique?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Hello Schuey100

Enid Blyton wrote 21 Famous Five books, and none of them are as you described. If you go to the home page on this site and look under book listings, then the novels, and scroll down until you come to the Famous Five, you can read about the original books from there.

What you may be meaning, is some books were told by Claude Voilier and translated by Anthea Bell, using Enid Blytons characters, the Famous Five. These books were NOT written by Enid, and I'm not sure which year they were written in, probably the 80's.

It's quite possible that one of these stories was set somewhere abroad, but Enid's never were.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
schuey100

Post by schuey100 »

Thanks, yes I know it wasn't one of the 21, I just wondered whether she wrote another sneaky one on the side :)

Either I'm going mad or, as you suggest, it was a book by Claude Voilier. I'll look into that.

Thanks!
schuey100

Post by schuey100 »

Okay! I've found it!

It was called 'The Famous Five in Deadly Danger' and you're correct, written by Claude Voilier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Famous-Deadly-D ... 54&sr=8-15" target="_blank

I'm not going mad :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Glad you found it.

It's worth reading the original Famous Five books though, if you've not already. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
schuey100

Post by schuey100 »

Yes, I've read them all. I have the full set ready for when my child is old enough to read. There's nothing like sitting down with Smuggler's Top on a dreary wet day to relive those childhood memories with Block and Sooty :)
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

That isn't a bad Claude Voilier, along with the one with Emeralds in it's title. "Fancy Dress" however, just makes me laugh!

Manzy