House Names

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: House Names

Post by Rob Houghton »

probably something deeply sexual... :? Sorry: me again. :oops:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:probably something deeply sexual... :? Sorry: me again. :oops:
I never thought of that! Oh dear, Green Hedges (and Ming, with her S&M) have a lot to answer for.... :shock:
Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

On a similar subject, does you house have a name and if so, what is it called and why?

I used to live in a house called The Cat Flap (I think the previous owners had lots of cats and we soon changed the name :lol: ) and another called Station House which was the former station masters house.
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Belly

Post by Belly »

My parents house is called 'Roughwood'. Not sure why.

House names always amuse me. 'Dalentrace' (the house of Darren and Tracey in the sit com Birds of a Feather). 'Dunroamin' etc. Also I heard that a couple, Constance and Domonic decided to combine their names to christen their house 'Condom'. :D
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I remember a house that I used to drive past regularly, that used to have a number but was renamed 'The Mouse House'. It always made me shiver - I loathe mice. It went up for sale soon after that, and took ages to shift. A name like that would even put me off viewing it.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

My house is called "Gellyknowe" (pronounced with a hard 'G'), which, roughly translated from the old Scots, means "pretty knoll". The house does stand on a slight rise, so I suppose that that's where the name comes from. However, my old house was called "Newvale", which is frankly horrible :twisted: , and we never used it.

I always find it interesting to find out where houses' names come from, as some of them seem so out of place. :D
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There used to be a house near me called Sled Ecalp :roll: . It was sold and the new owner removed the name. Obviously he wasn't called Del! :)

When I was a child, my best friends (two sisters) lived in a house called Wendover *groan!*

I like the story "Meddle's Good Turns" in Merry Mister Meddle. Trying to be helpful, Meddle repaints the name Fir-Trees on a man's gate because the original letters are very faint. The man is furious, having spent ages rubbing off the name earlier that day because he doesn't have any fir-trees in his garden! He wants to call his house Rose-Cot instead.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There is a place in my village called Milliways (Restaraunt at the end of the universe) which I rather like.

The Corfe Castle postman is a Hitch Hikers nut, and has called his wonderful cottage Deep Thatch (pun - geddit?) It's easy to spot because in Corfe stone roofs are the norm

I was very disappointed on visiting the real Finniston Farm to find that Enid hadn't used the real field names of Manor Farm. But until I read the book, it probably hadn't occured to me that fields even had names!

Some Dorset villages have made really beautiful decorated maps, and include all the field names so that they aren't forgotten. The link is to the map of Chideock in West Dorset, where I believe that some of the field names are over a thousand years old.

http://www.england-in-particular.info/p ... deock.html" target="_blank

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I like the story "Meddle's Good Turns" in Merry Mister Meddle. Trying to be helpful, Meddle repaints the name Fir-Trees on a man's gate because the original letters are very faint. The man is furious, having spent ages rubbing off the name earlier that day because he doesn't have any fir-trees in his garden! He wants to call his house Rose-Cot instead.
Yes, that's one of my favourite stories!! Mr Meddle actually wonders why on earth the house was called Fir-Trees when there were none of them around, but was full of roses. And he thinks, "well, some people are queer" (quoting from memory, so no guarantee!) and repaints the name in a bigger size. Poor man of the house. Now try rubbing off that. :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

For the first seven years of my life, I lived in a bungalow called Moonbeams. Quite appropriate, really! I passed a cottage in a village near Salisbury yesterday, called Moonraker's Cottage. Regrettably, not mine!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just re-reading 'Rat-a-Tat Mystery', and Enid has some great names in there: Rat-a-Tat House, of course, the town where Barney lives: Little Wendleman, and another village they drive through - Boffame, which I always think sounds French, and the Housekeeper, Mrs Tickle!! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:I passed a cottage in a village near Salisbury yesterday, called Moonraker's Cottage. Regrettably, not mine!
In Three Bridges in Sussex, part of the town of Crawley, there is a pub called The Moonraker. I must admit that I think of you every time I pass it. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I rather think Nigel should plan a visit to the pub, take a bee-yoo-tea-ful picture and make it his avatar! :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: In Three Bridges in Sussex, part of the town of Crawley, there is a pub called The Moonraker. I must admit that I think of you every time I pass it. :lol:

Ah, my fame goes before me, even as a pub sign!
She Who is Never Wrong wrote: I rather think Nigel should plan a visit to the pub, take a bee-yoo-tea-ful picture and make it his avatar!

I tried to take a picture of a pub in Devizes, Moonrakers, with my phone - unfortunately, as I was driving an ambulance, I couldn't take it well enough to publish!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:

I tried to take a picture of a pub in Devizes, Moonrakers, with my phone - unfortunately, as I was driving an ambulance, I couldn't take it well enough to publish!

Glad I wasn't a patient in your ambulance then Nigel!! :D
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member