Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels under the

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels under the

Post by Ming »

Lenoir wrote:What more could a person want on Valentine’s Day?
I'd need a... a... um.... music system. :lol: To dance to - or rather, jump, as we all did in school yesterday. Don't know how to dance - was a trifle embarrassing when a teacher in her late 40s (!) dragged me in - with best dancer in the school beside us!! And he joined us too - all I could say was "Teach me how to dance" - and those two did. :lol: :lol:

Going back on topic, I'm pretty sure most of the Adventure books had a secret passage!

Island -- passage under the sea from the well to the island
Castle -- riddled with passages
Valley -- loads of passages
Sea -- I can't really remember
Mountain -- Riddled again
Ship -- passage from the broken pillar and some more too, I think
Circus -- passage behind a picture
River -- Don't remember

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

"River of Adventure" had the cave by the waterfall, and the tunnels back up to the surface from the temple.
DSR
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

'River of Adventure' has a long underground river in a tunnel which the children travel through in the boat looking for the treasure caves. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote:'River of Adventure' has a long underground river in a tunnel which the children travel through in the boat looking for the treasure caves. 8)
As far as I remember the boat careered down a steep sided river gorge towards a waterfall and then veered at the last moment into a cave with a pool. The party then got out and went exploring, eventually finding an ancient catacomb and tunnels leading to the lost treasure caves. It actually made for a very fitting and thrilling end to the Adventure series.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

My absolute favourite one was from 'The Island of Adventure'. A gloomy copper mine that extended under the sea, and a passageway that extended all the way to the mainland, joining up in a well of all places. And if that wasn't exciting enough, the baddies flood the whole system with Bill, Jack and Philip still inside!
Belly

Post by Belly »

I agree. Every well I came in contact with as a child was examined by torch light. Did it have rusty rungs down on side? etc. I think two or 3 books contained secret ways down wells?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Ring O' Bells Mystery contained a secret way down a well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I remember thinking when i was a child that if you wrote a story then it HAD to have a secret passage in it somewhere! (at one point, when I was about nine or ten I think most of my stories DID feature one! :lol: )

This idea came from reading a lot of E.B, of course, and also a brilliant book, which I still love to read, (actually I've read it about seven or eight times!!) called 'The Mystery of the Island' by Isobel Knight, set on one of the Scottish isles. Anyone else read this book? Its got an old curse, a ruined castle, secret passages, and a most unusual 'hidden treasure'. It's quite an old book from the 1940's, and sadly isnt in print today (my version is an 'Abbey Reward for Girls and Boys' from the 1960's), but it's one of the best non-Blyton books for secret passages. :P
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I've read "The Mystery of the Island" by Isobel Knight, and still have my old copy. It was for a time my favourite book. It has a good, believable villian nicknamed the wild man of Borneo and an exciting journey round the island in the boat 'Grey Dove' as well secret passages under the castle. Good Stuff.

Kate.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Stephen wrote:A gloomy copper mine that extended under the sea, and a passageway that extended all the way to the mainland, joining up in a well of all places. And if that wasn't exciting enough, the baddies flood the whole system with Bill, Jack and Philip still inside!
What the heck would Duncan make of that? Poor Enid! :oops:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

On the subject of tunnels etc. There has been a labyrinth of tunnels discovered under the streets of Penzance, leading from the docks to one of the pubs (can't remember which one sorry), which were used by the smugglers many years ago. Now that's real life Blyton :D 8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:What the heck would Duncan make of that? Poor Enid! :oops:
I keep wondering why Ming (Kiki avatar) keeps saying wierd things in a Moonraker-esque way!! :lol: :oops:

Help! I'm confused enough as it is :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels under

Post by pete9012S »

Maggie Knows wrote:
I am cudgelling my brains trying to think of a Five book that doesn't have a secret way/room/passage/tunnel etc. There aren't very many, I think at most three:

1. Treasure Island: dungeons on an island etc.
2. Adventuring Again: secret panels and the tunnel between Kirrin Cottage/Farm
3. Run Away: the cave on the island including the hole that Edgar falls down
4. Smugglers Top: the book is riddled with secret passages and tunnels
5. Caravanning: the secret hole that Lou and Dan stash their loot in
6. Kirrin Island again: the other way into the dungeons, flagged up in book 1, is finally discovered, plus the tunnel back to the mainland
7. Camp: the blocked up spook train tunnel
8. Trouble: the secret room where the villain hides
9. Fall in to Adventure: the tunnel from the sea cliff up Red's hideout
10. Hike: NOT SURE THERE IS ONE IN THIS BOOK
11. Wonderful time: the passage through the castle wall to where the scientist is being held prisoner
12. Down to the Sea: the Wreckers' Way
13. Mystery Moor: the tunnel complex in the sand quarry
14. Five have Plenty of Fun: (ignoring poor George who gets kidnapped, again): apart from the coal hole already discussed, not sure there is one
15. Trail: tunnel where the blueprints are hidden
16. Billycock hill: tunnels where kidnapped pilots are hidden
17. Fix: tunnels and passages from the hillside into Old Towers (ps these morph into cellars)
18. Finniston Farm: tunnel connecting old castle dungeon with the farm's grain store (old chapel)
19. Demon's Rocks: tunnel under the lighthouse connecting to undersea caves
20. Mystery to Solve: underground tunnels leading to Treasure Chamber
21. Together Again: despite this novel being a bit of a "greatest hits" compilation in many respects, there doesn't seem to be a tunnel in sight!!
A most interesting post.
Have any Secret Passages/Secret Rooms/Islands/Rocky tunnels been overlooked from the titles in bold??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Maybe they're in there somewhere, but they were so secret that even Enid didn't know about them?? :D :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Leaving levity aside, I think I may have found a Secret Room in Hike.
What do those who have read all the books think? Could it qualify as a Secret Room??

Remember when Anne & Dick have lost their way and are desperate to find somewhere to stay for the night?

‘Well, you can’t stay here,’ said the old woman. ‘My son won’t have no one here at all. You’d best be gone before he comes. He have a nasty temper, he have.’
Dick shook his head. Then he pointed out to the dark rainy night, then pointed to Anne’s wet shoes and clothes. The old woman knew what he meant.
‘You’ve lost your way, you’re wet and tired, and you don’t want me to turn you out,’ she said. ‘But there’s my son, you see. He don’t like strangers here.’

Dick pointed to Anne, and then to a sofa in a corner of the room. Then he pointed to himself, and then outside, Again the old woman understood at once.
‘You want me to give your sister shelter, but you’ll go out into the night?’ she said. Dick nodded. He thought he could easily find some shed or barn for himself. But Anne really must be indoors.

‘My son mustn’t see either of you,’ said the old woman, and she pulled Anne to what the girl thought was a cupboard. But when the door opened, she saw a very small, steep wooden staircase leading upwards into the roof.
‘You go up there,’ said the old woman to Anne. ‘And don’t you come down till I call you in the morning. I’ll get into trouble if my son knows you’re here.’

‘Go up, Anne,’ said Dick, rather troubled. ‘I don’t know what you’ll find there. If it’s too bad, come down. See if there’s a window or something you can call out from, and then I’ll know if you’re all right.’
‘Yes,’ said Anne, in rather a trembling voice, and she went up the steep, dirty wooden stairs. They led straight into a little loft. There was a mattress there, fairly clean, and a chair. A rug was folded up on the chair and a jug of water stood on a shelf, Otherwise the room was bare.

A tiny window opened out of one side. Anne went to it and called out. ‘Dick! Are you there? Dick!’
‘Yes, I’m here,’ said Dick. ‘What’s it like, Anne? Is it all right? Listen, I’ll find somewhere nearby to shelter in - and you can always call me if you want me!’
A strange secret room used for who knows what by goodness knows whom!

Secret room? Cupboard? Old woman's Crib? Guest suite? Does even Maggie know!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member