An evening with Darrell Rivers..

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

An evening with Darrell Rivers..

Post by Yak »

Am having a bit of a down evening so I thought I'd spend it at MT, heh. It's rather soothing. I am starting at the beginning ... not sure how many of the books I have here with me but I'll read all that I do :D
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: An evening with Darrell Rivers..

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I had a passing thought about MT and Petermax's niece...

She will be in a similar position to Sally with a much younger sibling imminent... so does she know the book PM?

My brother & sister are 9 and 11 years younger than me, and Ming also has a much younger brother. As cute as they can be, younger siblings can cramp your style!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Interesting, I have yet to try out Mallory Towers on my niece, as at the moment I am trying to get her hooked on the Famous Five books. Once I receive satisfactory feedback from her then perhaps MT or the Whyteleafe series may be the next step.

I have never read Mallory Towers but I did borrow my sister's Naughtiest Girl books on a few occasions. This naturally lead to a punch up or two which I will not describe in detail as this is a non violent forum. Siblings born just eighteen months apart was a recipe for disaster far more so than those with a larger age gap.
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

LOL I have a sibling about eighteen months younger as well as some much younger. Never had the problems that Sally did, happily.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yak wrote:LOL I have a sibling about eighteen months younger as well as some much younger. Never had the problems that Sally did, happily.
Why has Moose turned into Yak once more? :?
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Moonraker wrote: Why has Moose turned into Yak once more? :?
It's been snowing in the north of England - maybe Yak has a thicker coat? :lol:

On the subject of Darrell, I finally completed my collection of Malory Towers Methuens last week when I found Upper Fourth in my favourite charity bookshop. It took almost 8 years, so quite satisfying. They're all different colours as well.
Now I think I'd better spend an evening with the secret seven. (mine are mostly blue, but some are red.)
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Hi lenoir. The secret seven are one of my fave blyton series. Who's your fave character in it?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Anna Moss wrote:Hi lenoir. The secret seven are one of my fave blyton series. Who's your fave character in it?
Susie is my favourite character and she's not even one of the Seven. That's what makes this series unique for me.
Out of the SS, I quite like Jack, (probably because I feel a bit sorry for him).
Who's yours, Anna?
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

It has to be Susie, followed by (at a distance) the long-suffering Jack.

Peter is a prig and the other 5 are drips, especially Barabra and Pam.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Susie and Jack are certainly the most interesting two to read about in the SS. I really cant believe some of the things Peter comes out with, I sometimes wonder if Blyton intended to cause a bit of controversy in the playground when she wrote him. :? Surely such chauvinism would have left girls fuming even back then? Most of the other SS members are very much like Daisy from the FFO, really only there to make up the numbers. I am currently re-reading this series for the first time in about 30 years, it was never a fave of mine. I must admit I am finding them to be far more enjoyable than I remembered, you just have to take them for what they are, junior Mystery stories.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member