The name 'Kirrin'

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: The name 'Kirrin'

Post by Daisy »

I guess Sooty was told next to nothing - it sounds as if he didn't have a lot to do with his stepfather if he could help it!
And Uncle Quentin was somewhat ashamed of not seeing the insurance was up to date, so actually woke himself up enough to organise what to do with the children... and given he had had the correspondence with Mr Lenoir, it all works out well!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

When I was little reading the books, I accepted that all the cousins were 'Kirrins'. I then got on with enjoying the books with gusto.

I,along with many other junior readers was far too young to understand the intricacies of matrimonial genealogy etc.
At this young age I didn't even know what the expressions 'fiance','spouse' 'fraternal' meant,so I merrily enjoyed the books in order until 'Barnard' cropped up and unsettled me.

Happily my 'Kirrin' equilibrium was restored and balanced again as The Kirrins reappeared in the books that followed.

That's the only thing about surnames that ever bothered me reading the books as a child.
They were all Kirrins and it didn't matter to my tiny young mind as long as the adventures kept rolling in!

Analysing it as an adult may prove circular - for as Enid said the critics she was only really interested in were around twelve years old - either in body or mind!!!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I think we assume they are Kirrins right from book 1 as George declares that the box on the wreck belonged to her so many great-grandfather Henry John Kirrin. My take on it is that Fanny and George are descended from him and Quentin and the father of her cousins are descended from a brother of his, making Quentin and Fanny third cousins.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I tend to think Enid made a mistake with Aunt Fanny having the Kirrin surname/lineage/genealogy and then just ploughed on regardless with it and hoped for the best!

I can easily forgive her for it though as the books are so good! :D

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Francis wrote:I magine a new famous five film starting with George saying...
" My name is Kirrin.....George Kirrin" and asking for a Ginger
Beer "shaken but not stirred"!
:D :D :D :D

Society Member
josepmcb
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by josepmcb »

Daisy wrote:I think we assume they are Kirrins right from book 1 as George declares that the box on the wreck belonged to her so many great-grandfather Henry John Kirrin. My take on it is that Fanny and George are descended from him and Quentin and the father of her cousins are descended from a brother of his, making Quentin and Fanny third cousins.
I'm afraid there is nothing in the books that supports this theory. And it's not consistent with book 1 where George states clearly that Kirrin belonged to her mother's family (she doesn't mention anything about her father). We read Julian's father saying that Aunt Fanny has lived in Kirrin all her life, again no mention of Quentin or himself. When told about a place called Kirrin the children don't react the way we should expect if Kirrin was their surname. We can see UQ's attitude with the box as well: he sells it immediately and shows no interest. It was Aunt Fanny who owned Kirrin Island and gave it to George, not Uncle Quentin. It is clear that Aunt Fanny is the one who has family roots in Kirrin, and Quentin is just her husband.

Kirrin surname was a mistake and was not featured until FF 15 and following. I think it's much easier to accept it as a mistake, something not uncommon in EB books, rather than elaborating intrincated theories about third cousins, double cousins or surname changes with really nothing to support them. They are just a way to reconcile the inconsistencies.
:D
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I agree that the children might have been a bit surprised to hear of a place called Kirrin etc. if they did not already know about it, but Fanny would be the heir to the estate as a direct descendant of the Captain who lost his life in the wrecking of his ship. That we do know as George claimed that he was her great-great grandfather. Quentin, a more distant relation, would not necessarily have met Fanny's branch of the family until he was an adult. My grandchildren have second cousins they have never met!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I'm going to go by what the author of the books says about the matter:

Interestingly, from Oct 1943 until her death Enid Blyton's married name was:

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I also have many second cousins I have never met! :-D

Regards the name 'Kirrin' its interesting that this name isn't attributed to any living character until book 15. We aren't ever told that George is a Kirrin, or Julian, Dick, or Anne, or Uncle Quentin, for the first 15 books (apparently -- to be honest I'm only going by what's being said on this thread). So we can only presume that Aunt Fanny was a Kirrin before she got married...so therefore it made sense for Enid to call her characters 'Barnard' - even though by then she had mistakenly called them 'Kirrin'.

The fact that Kirrin isn't alluded to as a surname of any living character until 'Secret Trail' is amazing to me. I've only ever gone by what others have said, and I was convinced that 'Kirrin' must have been used earlier than this, so it is a genuine revelation! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Interesting to read this thread, but I have to say that when I read these books as a child, the facts about Kirrin etc didn't really come into my mind. I just loved the books and read them for the mystery and adventure. I never once thought about the 'Kirrin' side of things. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'm with Pete on this one. If Enid says, as she does in her magazine, that the children's surname is Kirrin, then that is good enough for me. I read all the series as a child and, like Julie, I never really bothered about the surname, the adventures were far too thrilling to worry about things like that.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:Interestingly, from Oct 1943 until her death Enid Blyton's married name was:

I don't think this is actually officially correct. I have her passport which puts her as Mrs E.M. Waters, and normally with anything that wasn't to do with her work she signed as Enid Waters. It is very unusual for her to put the 'Darrell' in.

You can see the passport in the Secret Passage.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

That's very interesting about her passport Tony . Thank you.
I noticed with interest the name on this wedding invitation too:

The Oxford Index lists a number of names for Enid:
Blyton [married names Pollock, Darrell Waters], Enid Mary (1897–1968), children's writer, was born on 11 August 1897 at 354 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, London, the eldest child of Thomas Carey Blyton (1870–1920), a salesman, and his wife, Theresa Mary, née Harrison (1874–1950)...

Reference Entry. 2238 words. Illustrated.
http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/31939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agatha Christie used various names for differing purposes too.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

To add to the general confusion in German editions, in Treasure Island George's Great-great-great-grandfateher is called Heinrich Johann Kirchner.
In Billycock Hill, the Family name is "Kern".
In Finniston Farm it's "Kirrins".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang, maybe the confusion was caused by Bertelsmann using different translators who were not familiar with vol. 1?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock