Who Fooled You?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Who Fooled You?

Post by Moonraker »

Following on from Bannerman65/Anita's posts, it begs me to ask, Which Villain Fooled You the Most or Which Innocent Did You Think Was a Villain, But Wasn't

To start the ball rolling, I thought Lenoir (I wonder what his Christian name was) was a villain.
Society Member
Stephen

Re: Who Fooled You

Post by Stephen »

I thought Mr Penruthlan was definitely a bad'un, though it was pleasing that such an enigmatic character turned out good after all.

I wonder if I'm one of the few people in the world who thought Mr Roland was very nice on first reading? He was just trying to do his job, and George was behaving like a little brat! It was quite a disappointment when he turned out to be a villain - although I gather from other Blyton fans on the Net that this was extremely obvious. Not to me it wasn't!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Mr Roland fooled me.
Mr Penruthlan fooled me.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I can’t really remember anymore, but I think Mr King and Mr Marvel may have fooled me. And those curious butterfly men had me guessing.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

For me it was Morgan in Five Get into a Fix. I thought he was the baddie, but turned out to be the goodie, along with Aily's father the shepherd.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

In Five have wonderful time, when the lady slaps Julian I got a shock I thought she must be a baddie. The majority of that book had me guessing wrong. :)
There is always something else new to learn.
dsr

Post by dsr »

I did take Jo-Jo, in "Secret Island", at face value.

And Mr. & Mrs. Stick seemed like such a nice couple - was anyone else fooled :wink: :D
DSR
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Probably the Welsh farmer in Five get into a fix (sorry, I have forgotten his name right now and my books are at my parents' house - was it Jones?) fooled me the most, more because the FF were so sure that he was a baddie. I find that I went by the characters' impressions of other people when I judged them - fortunately, they were not usually wrong for long.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Welcome to the forums, Laura.

Yes, Morgan (if I remember correctly) really does fool the reader - I too was taken in. :)

Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

The guy with the chimp in the Barney Mysteries whose name I can;t remember fooled me - he was an old professor type or something and in running a magnifying glass over old documents was leaving a clue for the chimp.......does that make any sense?!

Jen
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Interesting topic, this. I too thought that Lenoir was a villain (sorry, Lenoir! :wink: ). Mr. Roland fooled me too. Yes, he was a pretty obvious baddie in some ways - but the main reason for suspecting given by reviewers is that Tim hated him. Do we really believe opinions of a silly girl and a mongrel? Hmm.

I was fooled of Mr. Marvel too, the guy was an excellent villain. And I remember being unsure by the character of Mr. King. Morgan in the Five books fooled me too.

But the highest of all: Jo-Jo and Block. Yes, I was a bit unsure about Block, but then, my trusting half reasoned, he is deaf! Good reason, only that was wrong!! I labelled old Jo-Jo as just a comic fellow, and was quite frightened when he showed his real side.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Philip Mannering wrote: Mr. Roland fooled me too. Yes, he was a pretty obvious baddie in some ways - but the main reason for suspecting given by reviewers is that Tim hated him. Do we really believe opinions of a silly girl and a mongrel? Hmm.
Of course we do, Philip! Have you ever known Tim to be wrong? His cleverest 'feeling' was with Martin (Five on Kirrin Island Again), he neither showed friendship nor dislike - that told us that Martin wasn't all that he seemed. As for George, it was her 'silly' feelings that led us on the right path in Kirrin Island Again and led to a successful conclusion don't forget.
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Moonraker wrote:
Philip Mannering wrote: Mr. Roland fooled me too. Yes, he was a pretty obvious baddie in some ways - but the main reason for suspecting given by reviewers is that Tim hated him. Do we really believe opinions of a silly girl and a mongrel? Hmm.
Of course we do, Philip! Have you ever known Tim to be wrong? His cleverest 'feeling' was with Martin (Five on Kirrin Island Again), he neither showed friendship nor dislike - that told us that Martin wasn't all that he seemed. As for George, it was her 'silly' feelings that led us on the right path in Kirrin Island Again and led to a successful conclusion don't forget.
Well, each to their own I suppose. :D Martin really puzzled me in Kirrin Island Again; and I really didn't like the very silly squables between George and Dick. Overall this book isn't one of my favourites, though I do have a special affection for it as it was the first FF, and indeed the first Blyton, I read. I was disappointed when I read it again. :|
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Mr Lenoir, definitely. The sort of man who would be stroking his white cat whilst holding the world to ransom from the safety of his lair at Smuggler's Top. I know there was a wife, but she was pretty invisible when compared with her husband, and throughout the book I was expecting Sooty and Marybelle to be taken into care (probably by a relative of Joanna the cook!) at the end when their criminal mastermind of a father/stepfather was put behind bars!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Stephen wrote:Mr Lenoir, definitely. The sort of man who would be stroking his white cat whilst holding the world to ransom from the safety of his lair at Smuggler's Top.
I wish!