Who Fooled You?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Re: Who Fooled You?

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

And I thought that Professor James was a baddie in the Rubadub mystery. When Enid Blyton wrote the Rubadub mystery the death penalty might still have been there and I think the death penalty was applied to traitors. So possibly she intended him to be hanged.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I simply do not remember what my first impressions 10 years ago were, to be honest. :lol: But I can see myself believing Bill was a baddie until the reveal, since he seemed like someone with a big secret (which, to be fair, he was).
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I possibly would have believed Bill was a baddie on my first read of Island if I hadn't already run into far too many spoilers in EBS forum discussions beforehand... :P But don't worry, I don't mind. The discussions here were what made me realise I HAD to read these Adventure books — which I'd skipped over when I was little because they were obviously for "older" kids — in the first place! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'll never know if I'd have thought Bill was a baddie because Island wasn't the first Adventure book I read, Valley was. However, he did fool 8 year old me for a couple of pages into thinking that he was a child! Why would the other children be referring to their unseen friend by his first name if he was a grown up?

The fact he owned an aeroplane began to sow the seeds of doubt...
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I can understand people thinking Bill was a baddie if they read Island first. Like Stephen, that book wasn't the first Adventure book I read, in my case it was Ship.
Society Member