Five Go To Smuggler's Top

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Petermax

Re: Five Go To Smuggler's Top

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote:
Petermax wrote:
Moonraker wrote:"What a nice fine young gentleman he is, to be sure," said the inkeeper's wife, "Such a privilege to serve he and his fine friends compared to the weak-jawed inbreds we usually have to put up with. Just look at his strong, determined jaw. Oh, he's so masterful."
I am almost certain that this scene or an adaptation of it appeared in one of the two Comic Strip parodies of the Famous Five.
I am almost certain I completely made it up! :D
I sort of walked into that one with my eyes closed! :twisted: :twisted: Trouble is, it's very hard at times to tell the difference between reality and parody with Enid Blyton, particulary with books written in the early 1950s.

I resolve to hasten the process of re-reading, as I have have no desire to be taken in like that ever again. :lol: :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm pretty sure Robbie used the phrase, "fine young friends" in Five Go Mad in Dorset, so it is completely understanable that you thought I was quoting from there. I certainly heard Robbie's voice saying my passage!

[Off to get some Mescalin] :mrgreen:
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The tea-room scene in Five Go Mad On Mescalin is a classic. In Smuggler's Top it is mentioned that Julian "took charge" during lunch at an inn, it was left to the readers imagination as to exactly how the hapless bar staff were bossed about, maybe just as well!

Here's a clip from Mescalin, the tea-room scene starts at 2.10. Peter Richardson really is the most effective actor so far to portray the character of Julian. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biqn6huNXZ8" target="_blank
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sheer, sheer brilliance! Those Americans (the Hennings to a T), the bad son, the shopkeeper; brilliant. They also portrayed the very best (and worst) of the four Kirrins!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Very good, though I have seen this on numerous occasions. I just love the send ups, even though I love the Five. Just going off topic a sec, Harry Tomb, the American, I saw him a good many years ago in a cafe in St. Ives. Just thought I'd drop that in :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member