Queer and Alone

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Re: Queer and Alone

Post by jen »

When I was about 7 I asked the Father Chrsitmas at a big department store in York for a baby sister - maybe I'd had enough of being an only or maybe I was match making for my single mum?! Either way, my mother was hugely embarrassed and I don't think she ever went into that shop again!

Given that Santa failed to deliver my baby sister I am therefore still an only and probably very strange, queer and any other choice words you wish to apply to me!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

I don't think that one should read too much into the use of the adjective "Queer" in this particular context. The books obviously reflect the era in which they were written and language changes over time. If one wanted to amend this adjective today I think that "different" would probably be a good alternative. Speaking from experience (I am the wife of an only child, the mother of an only child and was an only child myself for almost the first decade of my life) only children are usually less socially competent than their peers with siblings and tend to be more mature in terms of language, as at home they only converse with adults. However, the difference fades away as they grow up and (at least in my opinion) leaves no permanent scars....I hope I am right!!
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Boodie wrote:I don't think that one should read too much into the use of the adjective "Queer" in this particular context. The books obviously reflect the era in which they were written and language changes over time. If one wanted to amend this adjective today I think that "different" would probably be a good alternative. Speaking from experience (I am the wife of an only child, the mother of an only child and was an only child myself for almost the first decade of my life) only children are usually less socially competent than their peers with siblings and tend to be more mature in terms of language, as at home they only converse with adults. However, the difference fades away as they grow up and (at least in my opinion) leaves no permanent scars....I hope I am right!!
That sounds about right to me! I'm an only child and sometimes I say things to my friends who don't know what I mean!

I have become more accustomed to talking to people older than me, either the year above me in school or adults in school! I'm more comfortable like that.
But as My friends and I grew up I have found that I can talk more freely and that they use that same terms as me!

LOL
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Yes, your experience agrees with my impression!!
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Glad to be of assisstance! :D :wink:

A Proper experiment in the making as My sociology teacher would say! :wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/