What is your favourite school series?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

What is your favourite school series?

"Naughtiest Girl" / Whyteleafe
18%
St. Clare's
21%
Malory Towers
61%

Total votes: 67

Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: What is your favourite school series?

Post by Barnard »

I have not read the Naughtiest Girls books for probably over 40 years. I didn’t like them very much and threw them out many years ago. The Malory Towers series is the best school series, with a decent set of characters, even the less likeable ones. It was good that Darrell’s temper showed occasionally and that Alicia and June were sometimes antagonistic to one another. With Sally’s jealousy and Gwen sucking up to posh pupils it made for a good series.
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I have already posted several times on this topic but cannot resist posting again as I think Malory Towers is far away the best of the school series, ie agreeing with Bernard. One topic that I have never brought up is the marvellous interplay between the 2 French Mademoiselles - especially with Belinda's comic of cartoons of them as rivals. The fifth term at Malory Towers is just brilliant, I actually feel quite emotional when I read it, probably the best of the books. I love the way they are forced to work together for the sake of the pantomime but then individual pettiness nearly comes to ruin it all. There are some very touching scenes in the Malory Towers, like Gwen hearing about her dad, Jo being expelled, Amanda being rescued by June and June nearly being expelled and these passages are moving without being overly sentimental. Whereas I found in the other school stories similar scenes were over the top, too sentimental and very unrealistic.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Both St Clares.and Malory.Towers series are brilliant.--.each in its own way. I find it moving to see good friendship, loyalty , honesty.-- dedicated teachers in these schools.Miss Theobald and Miss Grayling as principals really reflect on how principals should be.Its a glorious series of stories
--
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

which series is the best? I have never read either.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Neither have I, Pete. I'm collecting the Malory Towers series with the Lilian Buchanan covers and I just want In The Fifth to complete the set. Then I hope to start reading them.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Malory Towers series is really enjoyable. I have never read St Clares so cannot comment on it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Malory Towers series is better-structured as there is one book per year (concentrating on one term of that year) and the focus is on Darrell Rivers and other members of her form throughout (though younger girls play a more prominent role in the later books).

The St. Clare's series has some great plotlines too but there's more than one book for some school years and none for others. Also, twins Pat and Isabel are the main characters at first but the focus on them is lost as the series progresses.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I would go for Malory Towers too, although at the age when I was first reading both series I wouldn't have minded being sent to either!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Having said all that about Malory Towers being the best I do think the 4th and 5th book of St Clare's are very good but as a series I much prefer Malory Towers. I don't personally like the naughtiest girl series at all, but others love it. I found the whole thing about the kids taking over the school council just ridiculous and humiliating for the kids who were being punished. I think in real life that would have been monopolised by the in crowd and would not work, But everyone to their own as I know some people love the Naughtiest Girl series. I think with any series though it is much better to start at the first book and read them sequentially and so much more so for the school series compared to adventures and mysteries.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

It was originally the Naughtiest Girl series, as I loved them as a child. I still haven’t read the St Clare’s series! I voted for Malory Towers because I also love them, and first read them much later as an adult, and of course, they have also since made the TV series out of it.
Catbury

Post by Catbury »

Malory Towers for me too.
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I would say MT because I read that series first, the description of the school with the towers seemed so romantic to me then. I never imagined a school like that. I also really liked Darrell and the way she grew up towards the end, she knew she had a temper and was hurtful to others when she saw 'red' but she apologized afterwards, it made her a real likeable person. Mary Lou, i admired her when she reached into herself and found her courage: when she went looking in the dark for evidence of the fountain pen episode and jumping into the pool to save Darrell when she couldn't swim. She had character. And Sally reminded me of me on the first day when she made her bed and tidy her section, I used to do that every morning before I went to high school. Gwen I couldn't stand but did felt really bad for her with her father situation at the end.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

The.naughtiest.girl series is a very very good one-- It reflects on.do many characters-- the naughtiest girl herself changes so much that she becomes a monitor.Then there are people like Robert, who was once a bully-- and how he got himself changed the right way and became.a very likeable horse rider.and coach too
.There is dont-care Julian , who makes firm friends with Elizabeth,the naughtiest girl, -- the part where his mother is seriously ill-- and how Julian makes a solemn promise in a small country church, that he will use his brains for good and asks God to save his mother-- are very touching.About Malory.towers and st clares , I wish I could be in both at the same time-- both.are too good to be true-- not that Whyteleaf school is far behind