The Secret Island - Cover Illustration

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: The secret island-cover illustration

Post by John Pickup »

pete9012S wrote:Yes, the only thing I agonised over when young when coming to the end of one book was getting my hands on another Enid Blyton book to read!
When I was at school and relied on the public library for my books, I was ages waiting for Castle to be on the shelf to complete all the Adventure series. Every week it wasn't there and I had read all the other seven at least twice before the friendly librarian told me I could order it.
Two weeks later and the agony was over.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

DarrellRivers wrote:
This picture is also the last picture in our header.
I Know the header has changed at least once since I've been here and the Secret Island pic has obviously disappeared. Does anyone remember when it changed? Or what the old header looked like?

It's amusing to see what I wrote almost fourteen years ago ( :shock: ) and I'm glad to say that I still agree with myself. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember that the header changed in 2008 when we did a major revamp of the website and added the "buttons" down the left-hand side, etc. I'm not sure whether the old header still exists anywhere.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:
Blytonboy wrote:I have just finished reading my newly restored 1st edition and it is an utterly charming but completely unrealistic story. Even by the standards of the time, the situation in which the children find themselves is not sustainable and they would probably have poisoned themselves or died from hypothermia
You can say that about virtually every Blyton book. I mean is it really feasible that a bunch of kids can outwit spies, criminals, kidnappers, smugglers etc? Or that they have more success than the police at crime solving? Or that they can trek all over the country amd even abroad and survive better than many adults? Blytons magic trick is to draw in the reader and involve them in such a way that these often amazing situations seem perfectly possible, indeed we feel certain that the kids will triumph in the end.

As Anita said the books are charming and thrilling fantasies, the sort that children act out in their minds all the time. Blyton spoke directly to my imagination when I was younger (and still does :lol: ) and so I had no problem believing The Secret Island even though now, as an adult, I can see the gaping flaw in the story.
Lucky Star wrote: It's amusing to see what I wrote almost fourteen years ago ( :shock: ) and I'm glad to say that I still agree with myself. :lol:
And I agree with you too, John LS! :wink: I first read The Secret Island only a few years ago, and even as a (sort of) grown-up I had absolutely no problem with the fact that the story was "completely unrealistic". Most children love to imagine "running away" to an island or some other secret place where they could live totally free of adult interference — and of course totally free of any real-life considerations like food and shelter and hygiene and other basic survival matters. As a child, in your imagination, you can do anything anywhere (and be home in time for tea), and that's just what this story is playing on. I absolutely loved it and wish I had an early edition of it with the lovely dust jacket illustration! :D

I particularly like the portrayal of Nora with her curly hair and her little blue dress, as she looks a bit like how my late grandma looked when she was a little girl, going by old photos. (Except Gran's hair was more reddish-brown — oh yes, and she always referred to a dress as a frock.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Of course it is a fantasy - just look at how white their socks are :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

:D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote:You can say that about virtually every Blyton book. I mean is it really feasible that a bunch of kids can outwit spies, criminals, kidnappers, smugglers etc? Or that they have more success than the police at crime solving? Or that they can trek all over the country amd even abroad and survive better than many adults? Blytons magic trick is to draw in the reader and involve them in such a way that these often amazing situations seem perfectly possible, indeed we feel certain that the kids will triumph in the end.
This is an old post from 2007 by John. I was delighted to find a thread on one of my favorite EB books. 8)

Of course it's pretty unlikely that children could outsmart adult criminals, but there were a few decades in the last century between the 1930's and the 1960's when hundreds of such adventurous children's books were written (not only by EB, but also by Norman Dale, Malcolm Saville, US author Stephen Meader, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, "Kalle Blomquist" aka "Bill Bergson" by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren and dozens of similar books by several German children's books authors) and dozens of movies for kids were created by the CFF at the same time like "Treasure at the Mill", "Five on a Treasure Island", "The Carringford School Mystery", "Five Clues to Fortune" etc.
Those children's books were about sunken ships, buried treasure, underground passages, castles or about thives like the one in Norman Dale's book "The Best Adventure" (1945, The Bodley Head).

Unfortunately these adventurous children's books were replaced by lesser interesting topics in children's literature from the 1970's on like parents getting divorced, class bullies, death of a relative etc.
The few exceptions that I found later on were usually children's books set in WW II like "Goodnight, Mr. Tom" by Michelle Magorian and "The Kingdom by the Sea" by Robert Westall.

Any other opinions?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Yes, the only thing I agonised over when young when coming to the end of one book was getting my hands on another Enid Blyton book to read!
Same here even until today. :D
When I finished reading a good children's book or a very compelling novel (for instance Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy), I often wonder if the next children's book or novel will be as good?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

dsr wrote:But even so - I went to Mother Shipton's Cave in Knaresborough last year, and it seems that she lived in a cave for the first two years of her life along with her 15 (going on 17) year old mother. It is physically possible.
And there are lakes with few or no people living alongside so they can avoid being spotted. If the Isle of Innisfree didn't have a castle across the lake, it would be ideal. It's so heavily wooded that the children could easily move about unseen. Western Irland would be a good place for a lot of Enid Blyton adventures, apart from the obvious caveat that it rains too much!
That sounds fascinating, dsr. I'll have to chekc out Mother Shipton's Cave in Knaresborough.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

John Pickup wrote:When I was at school and relied on the public library for my books, I was ages waiting for Castle to be on the shelf to complete all the Adventure series. Every week it wasn't there and I had read all the other seven at least twice before the friendly librarian told me I could order it.
Two weeks later and the agony was over.
I remember exactly how that felt! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I first read The Secret Island only a few years ago, and even as a (sort of) grown-up I had absolutely no problem with the fact that the story was "completely unrealistic". Most children love to imagine "running away" to an island or some other secret place where they could live totally free of adult interference — and of course totally free of any real-life considerations like food and shelter and hygiene and other basic survival matters. As a child, in your imagination, you can do anything anywhere (and be home in time for tea), and that's just what this story is playing on. I absolutely loved it and wish I had an early edition of it with the lovely dust jacket illustration! :D
Same here. 8)
Thanks to the Blyton Yahoo Group (which I joined before I explored Tony's Cave of Books on EBS) I found out in August 2008 that "The Secret Island" sounded very much like a Blyton book that I would enjoy to read.
I soon found a 2nd edition on amazon.co.uk and have read it multiple times ever since.
When I get sick I tend to re-read it. It's like medicine. :D

When I was a child I enjoyed reading run away stories when. I still do today.

My husband created a dust wrapper for my "Secret Island" edition.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Chrissie777 wrote: When I get sick I tend to re-read it. It's like medicine. :D
How I agree with you there Chrissie!

Chrissie777 wrote:My husband created a dust wrapper for my "Secret Island" edition.
I would very much like to see that - oh and please tell Andre hi from me too!

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Pete, I'll take a picture of the cover on the next sunny day and in early March when André downloads all pics that I took in February, I'll send a pic of the cover and another one of the masthead to your e-mail address.

André works from his home office until end of May when he'll retire (he can't wait!!!) and he just said hi back to you. :D
We both remember the EB meeting at the Spade Oak in Bourne End in May 2014 and then visiting "Old Thatch". It was such a special and lovely day! 8)
I often look at the dozens of pics that I took on that day.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Chrissie. I hope André is looking forward to his retirement. I know I've said it before, but he simply doesn't look old enough to retire!!

Yes, I would love to see the cover when convenient Chrissie - many thanks.

Our day at Old Thatch was magical and I am really glad I got to meet you both and lots of others from the forum there on that special day.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks Chrissie. I hope André is looking forward to his retirement. I know I've said it before, but he simply doesn't look old enough to retire!
I know, Pete. He looks so much younger, but he turned 67 in October 2020 :D.
As a matter of fact, André can't await 28th of May, his last day at work.
The year 2020 and working from home since early March was rather stressful and increased his blood sugar (stress does that to some people).
André thought at first that he would save the long commute, but ended up working 12 hour days. :cry:
By the time Christmas came he hadn't had a real vacation (he only took 4 days off for our short Nantucket trip at the end of September) since end of February 2020 when he visited his parents in Florida for a week.
So those 18 days off over Christmas and New Year's were a real blessing and I made sure that he didn't touch his work computer once. :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock