Overall Favourite Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

What is your favourite overall series?

Famous Five
21%
Secret Seven
No votes
... Of Adventure
28%
Secrets
No votes
Five Findouters
40%
Barney/R Mystery
6%
School
2%
Farm
No votes
Circus
No votes
Wishing-Chair / Faraway Tree
2%

Total votes: 81

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Overall Favourite Series

Post by Lucky Star »

Comparing the FF and the FFO is like comparing apples and oranges. The FF range all over the countryside encountering adventures and criminals everywhere in all sorts of settings. The FFO stay in their village and do battle with the village policeman to solve "whodunnit" type mysteries. Each has their charms.

In the Famous Five the characters are a bit more evenly drawn. Each one gets more or less equal billing and each has a distinct personality. With the FFO as the series goes on it becomes more a case of Fatty and Bets Vs Mr. Goon. The other three find-outers fade into the background a little. But I love how the village of Peterswood almost becomes a character in it's own right. Enid portrays the homely locations so well over the first fourteen books that we almost seen and know it's streets.. With the FF we get a new location virtually every book, with the FFO we get cosy familiarity.

As regards the number of good books its about even for me. The only FFO book I dislike is Banshee Towers. So we get fourteen good ones in my opinion. With the FF its a longer series but for me we get the about fifteen good ones three so-so ones and three bad ones. The bad ones would be Secret Trail, Billycock Hill and Together Again, the so-so ones would be Mystery to Solve, Finniston Farm and Plenty of fun. The first thirteen plus Fix and Demons Rocks are all good.

Its a matter of mood really. If really pushed I'd choose the FFO over the FF but really for me its the Adventure series and the Secret series that stand out in Enid's work. With honourable mentions to the Six Cousins and the Adventurous Four.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

If the Adventurous Four counts as a series, I would rate it fairly high.
Society Member
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

Well, there were two Adventurous Four books John, so that makes a series, I think. Both books were good, particularly the first book, in which the four children, battle the Nazis. Quite a unique and amazing book.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:In the Famous Five the characters are a bit more evenly drawn. Each one gets more or less equal billing and each has a distinct personality. With the FFO as the series goes on it becomes more a case of Fatty and Bets Vs Mr. Goon. The other three find-outers fade into the background a little. But I love how the village of Peterswood almost becomes a character in it's own right. Enid portrays the homely locations so well over the first fourteen books that we almost seen and know it's streets.. With the FF we get a new location virtually every book, with the FFO we get cosy familiarity.
Spot-on, John. That "cosy familiarity" is one of the great strengths of the Find-Outers series.
Lucky Star wrote:If really pushed I'd choose the FFO over the FF but really for me its the Adventure series and the Secret series that stand out in Enid's work. With honourable mentions to the Six Cousins and the Adventurous Four.
Same here, though I'd also add the Barney mysteries, the Naughtiest Girl trilogy, the Malory Towers series and the Faraway Tree books to the "greats". Also The Six Bad Boys, The Family at Red-Roofs and The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies, though they're not series of course.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Good point Lucky Star about the FFO books centring around the village. Personally I prefer the differing locations of the FF books and I think it makes for a more exciting read. Just like I believe the characters in FF are better. In FFO Fatty and Bets are well developed characters as is Mr Goon but you read very little of Larry, Daisy and Pip and at times they almost become bystanders! Don’t get me wrong, I still love the FFO books but for me I prefer the FF series.